Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preheating Noise Changed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It sometimes seems to preheat the battery now, which causes extra noise (hard to tell from your video if it's the same as mine though for some reason, but I know what it sounds like more from the inside). Is it cold where you are right now?

You might recognize it as the same as the sounds when you start supercharging (it would be heating the pack then as well).

Ever since the last software update my preheating sound has changed (turning on climate control while battery is cold). Not sure if that is just a coincidence. I still get the high pitch sound, but now I get a lower pitch sound too. Seems to only happen when plugged in. Anyone else notice this? Here is a link: Dropbox - TM3 Warming Up.MOV - Simplify your life
This is normal. The new software update enabled battery preheating when you turn on climate and the car is cold, and to preheat a cold battery before chsrging. The high pitched squeal is the drive motors. They are operated in a stalled condition, one half of the motor working against the other. This generates waste heat, which the glycol pump circulates back to the battery to warm it up. The low pitched mechanical sound you hear is the glycol pump operating at max speed.

Thank you guys. It's good to hear that others have the same sound. It was new for me, and the weather outside hasn't really changed much over the past few months (typically 10-30F outside, and car sits in a garage around 40-50F).

The high pitched squeal is the drive motors. They are operated in a stalled condition, one half of the motor working against the other. This generates waste heat, which the glycol pump circulates back to the battery to warm it up.
Thanks, I was wondering what that high pitched noise was. It's actually useful; I just follow it when I'm trying to find my car in a parking lot.

Ever since the last software update my preheating sound has changed (turning on climate control while battery is cold). Not sure if that is just a coincidence. I still get the high pitch sound, but now I get a lower pitch sound too. Seems to only happen when plugged in. Anyone else notice this? Here is a link: Dropbox - TM3 Warming Up.MOV - Simplify your life

I have the exact same noise when plugged in to my Tesla Charger installed in my house.

Reactions: fomite
Just so you guys know, I did contact Tesla service and sent them the video to confirm. They said, “The noise you are hearing is normal. Just the coolant pumps running as the coolant heater is heating up the coolant”.

I didn’t know they had an off-white paint option. :D