Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preheating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

duanra

Dec 14, 2018
Montreal
Ok, bear with me, i got my mr 3 yesterday !

So i saw a lot of references about preheating the car and the battery.
I figured how to preheat the car but how do you preheat the battery.
(The car is in the street).

Thanks

PS : sorry I put my post in the wrong post. Could a moderator put it where it belongs ?

Thank you

Congrats on getting the Model 3. You're in the wrong forum, though.

To answer your question, open the Tesla app, go to climate and click on "Turn On" at the bottom. This'll preheat the cabin and the battery.
You can preheat S&X battery, the only way to heat the 3 is to charge the battery or drive/regen for a long distance. The higher the current draw the better such as the SC is the best.

• Informative
Reactions: mazeminder
Generally, ( if you are concerned about battery cycles or range) you don't want to preheat in winter conditions unless you are connected to shore power. Just get in and drive - the interior heat is almost immediate and the heat generated from driving will heat the battery more efficiently.

Of course there are situations where you care more about comfort and defrosted windows more than battery cycles or depleting your charge ...

• Helpful
Reactions: Dre78
Ok, another naive question then.
Preheating the car isn't good for the battery or it is just the fact that preheating the car is just using the battery hence contributing to the wear of it.
Yes preheating the battery drains the battery. Nothing wrong with that but if you're not plugged in to charger might as well just drive, car heats up really quickly.

Reactions: Whisky
Supposedly, starting with version 2018.48, battery heating is improved for the Model 3. It remains to be proven.
In Eastern Canada, you generally want to preheat the battery to avoid restrictions on regeneration and even motor power. It also helps avoid slow supercharging due to a cold battery. Of course, if you're not plugged in and you need to conserve energy its a no-no.

On some itinary conserving energy is a big issue. I'm trying to plan a trip from Montreal to Fredericton. I am not sure it is possible to do it in one day due to the stretch between Rivière du loup and Fredericton with no fast charging for Model 3.

On some itinary conserving energy is a big issue. I'm trying to plan a trip from Montreal to Fredericton. I am not sure it is possible to do it in one day due to the stretch between Rivière du loup and Fredericton with no fast charging for Model 3.
You will have to use level 2 charging to make it safely to Fredericton while travelling in the cold,wet roads & head wind. Especially returning to RDL because of elevation change, but you can always adjust speed. There are lots of L2 along TransCanada.

• Informative
Reactions: Dre78
How was told at delivery that a public level 2 would ad about 18 km per hour of charge. Does it make sense to you guys ?

Scroll down to the chart. 17km/h is achievable with a wall-plug. PlughShare is generally pretty great by identifying how many kW are available at the charger. The highest you'll see is 11kW, because that's the most your car is capable of doing. If there are two or more destination chargers strung together you'll see that cut down by half or more if multiple cars are charging. Level 2 isn't all that predictable, but perfect for overnight charging.

Also, do check PlugShare's ratings because it's a good predictor of the reliability of the charger. The few times I picked a hotel with a poor rating (because I loved the hotel, or location or whatever), I was burned with a broken charger.

For a trip to the east coast, the math will work against you. On a TM3 your maximum charging is 71km/h but you'll be driving faster than that, so for every 1.5 hour of charging you'll be able to drive one hour. Unfortunately, until the Tesla charging network is built up east, this isn't going to be a fun trip unless you plan to do evening stops at hotels with Level 2 charging.

Also! You probably know this already, but we've had one person on the forum that didn't know this, that you can't use any chademo/css chargers along the way. They're almost as fast as superchargers, but they don't presently work with the TM3.

http://abetterrouteplanner is a terrific resource. It might recommend you go through the US where there are a few more superchargers to hit. Mostly, you'll be fine, just pick good hotels with reliable level 2 charging and call ahead to make sure they're active.

• Helpful
Reactions: MarcoRP and Dre78
Thanks,
Yes I tried with abetterouteplanner and the only way to do it without L2 is via US.
But if I can ad 70 km in a 1.5 hour L2 charging session. That will be enough to do it via Canada with just an extra L2 stop.
I guess I'll find out :)

Reactions: Whisky
Fredericton literally just got its first Supercharger. If you use range mode or take a small boost in between it could work very well.