Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Audio and Live Traffic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm new to this forum and new to Tesla. I'm interested in a Model 3.

The two features that are most important to me are Premium Audio and Satellite View maps with live traffic. Is there any way to get these features without going to Long-range AWD or Long-range RWD?

Thank you,
Robert

Maybe eventually, but not now.

Having just bought a sr+ and driving it (and loving it) i wish i had of gotten LR.... it’s another 10gs but if i forwent the blue paint and 19” rims i could have gotten it for 7500 more.... 1500 if i had of waited on FSD....

Btw, you still get live traffic with the SR+, it just isn’t visualized on the map.

I'm new to this forum and new to Tesla. I'm interested in a Model 3.

The two features that are most important to me are Premium Audio and Satellite View maps with live traffic. Is there any way to get these features without going to Long-range AWD or Long-range RWD?

Thank you,
Robert

Currently SR and SR+ Model 3 trims include "Standard Connectivity". If ordered on or after July 1, 2018, the MR, LR-RWD, LR-AWD, and LR-AWD-P Model 3 trims include one year of included "Premium Connectivity".

The Frequently Asked Questions - Connectivity state that: "Premium Connectivity adds satellite-view maps with live traffic visualization, in-car streaming music & media, an internet browser (for Model S and Model X) and over-the-air software updates via Wi-Fi and cellular."

Furthermore: "There is no fee for Standard Connectivity. Pricing for Premium Connectivity will be announced soon, which we expect to be approximately $100 (USD) per year." I anticipate sometime later this year, SR and SR+ cars can pay the $100/year (or $10/month) fee for "Premium Connectivity". After a year, higher trims may continue to have "Premium Connectivity" at the same price or potentially at a discount.

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
How much of a difference is there in the sound quality, between Premium Audio and standard audio? I'm weighing whether to spend an additional $6k, which gets me long-range RWD, sound, live traffic and a few other features
I spent a ton of time in a friend's MR before getting my SR. The MR is basically the LR with less range but identical amenities. The Premium Audio is significantly better in my opinion. The partial audio system is way too front-heavy. It's probably because they disconnected all the speakers near the trunk but didn't compensate for the output.

I personally would get the LR if it's only 6k more than the SR+... Personally I didn't go that route because I didn't want to pay for Autopilot... But I think the extra range by itself is worth the 6k. Range is king for EVs. It just takes a huge load off your mind by not having to think about stopping to charge.

...I anticipate sometime later this year, SR and SR+ cars can pay the $100/year (or $10/month) fee for "Premium Connectivity". After a year, higher trims may continue to have "Premium Connectivity" at the same price or potentially at a discount.
The $100 a year is to cover the cost for the extra LTE data used and not for the feature set itself. People who bought the MR and up payed a premium for the features. No way the SR will get the features added for free and then only have to pay for the added data cost. It will likely be more like a $1K up front cost.

EDIT: Also Premium Audio would require the installation of a sub woofer.

Last edited:
I love the satellite maps and live traffic, personally, but I can't put a price tag on them.

The extra range can be important if you live far from work and superchargers, but for many people it's not essential.

The Premium audio, although convenient and bassy enough to impress some, isn't all that phenomenal, and the basic system is something you can remedy inexpensively if you're any kind of DIY'er. Reality is that today's amplifiers on a chip are very cheap and very good. The guys promoting $6k retrofit audio systems are just vultures. Speakers of the type used in the Premium sound are very cheap, you could add speakers and you can add a whole 2.1 200 watt amp that's the size of a pack of cigarettes, for under $50. But for instant gratification (since that's the main thing that's missing) there are very decent standalone bass/subwoofers in the $120 range that are easy to wire in, even if you have no other access than piggybacking on existing speaker leads.

What I would never trade for any of these is the AP with NOA. Today I drove 95% in AS and NOA, freeway, highway and city boulevards, and I used the auto-park twice (once at a Supercharger). If I were starting over I'd seriously look at a Standard Plus with the FSD, and then "invest" $300 into rigging up a better sound system than what comes as Premium Sound.

I love the satellite maps and live traffic, personally, but I can't put a price tag on them.

The extra range can be important if you live far from work and superchargers, but for many people it's not essential.

The Premium audio, although convenient and bassy enough to impress some, isn't all that phenomenal, and the basic system is something you can remedy inexpensively if you're any kind of DIY'er. Reality is that today's amplifiers on a chip are very cheap and very good. The guys promoting $6k retrofit audio systems are just vultures. Speakers of the type used in the Premium sound are very cheap, you could add speakers and you can add a whole 2.1 200 watt amp that's the size of a pack of cigarettes, for under $50. But for instant gratification (since that's the main thing that's missing) there are very decent standalone bass/subwoofers in the $120 range that are easy to wire in, even if you have no other access than piggybacking on existing speaker leads.

What I would never trade for any of these is the AP with NOA. Today I drove 95% in AS and NOA, freeway, highway and city boulevards, and I used the auto-park twice (once at a Supercharger). If I were starting over I'd seriously look at a Standard Plus with the FSD, and then "invest" $300 into rigging up a better sound system than what comes as Premium Sound.

I bought an SR+ (with AP) instead of LR (without AP) because originally I wanted to save some money and to get the AP with it.

Too bad MR was discontinued a day before I want to place any orders. I think MR is definitely the sweet spot compare to LR or SR+.

The $100 a year is to cover the cost for the extra LTE data used and not for the feature set itself. People who bought the MR and up payed a premium for the features. No way the SR will get the features added for free and then only have to pay for the added data cost. It will likely be more like a $1K up front cost.

EDIT: Also Premium Audio would require the installation of a sub woofer.

Premium Connectivity is not defined as just the LTE data. The Design Studio states Premium Connectivity includes the following features:

Premium Connectivity (1 year included):
  • Satellite maps with live traffic visualization
  • In-car internet streaming music and media
  • More frequent over-the-air updates via cellular
  • Internet browser

Tesla would be able to monetize Premium Connectivity for ALL newer trims (S, 3, X, and Y) ordered on or after July 1, 2018. I hope/expect Tesla will provide existing trims with Premium Interior a discount or discounted option for an extended term (Say $250 for 3 year or $400 for 5 years). As the one year mark for some owners is on July 1, 2019, I expect an announcement soon. Of course, Tesla can and has changed things around.

The other Premium Interior features (such as premium audio (with sub-woofer) and location-aware automatic garage door opener) are not included.

An owners can purchase portions of Premium Interior the after delivery. The location-aware automatic garage door opener is a $300 after delivery install. The carpeted floor mats, carpeted front truck mat, and any missing accessory (previously included in the Premium interior) can be ordered on line. I can imagine the Premium audio (with any missing speakers and sub-woofer) will be an after delivery installation.

Last edited: