Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity cost $9.99/month for many Model 3 versions

Will you subscribe to premium connectivity?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m too lazy to go check the car right now (and the garage is way too cold!) but I’m curious if satellite view is working now... or if the switch will be “turned on” sometime this weekend. I went ahead and subscribed too and it notes my first bill will be January 8th, but I should have a free trial till then...

It's not working yet, I checked my SR+ about an hour ago after subscribing.

I subscribed and checked my SR+ this morning and don't see a change either. I'm going to give it a few days. The car is definitely capable of supporting satellite maps - I had them for the first week or two that I had the car before they went away after a software update. I'm guessing we might need another update (or there's just a few days delay) for them to come back. But if satellite + live traffic was not included then I'll probably drop the subscription. Worst case, I am out $10 for a month.
Exactly I totally agree. What I wonder is why it wouldn't be ready for everyone when the trial begins lol. You would think the want to get everyone hooked before taking it away. When a trial starts. Services should be available

It had been speculated that to keep our premium connectivity package Tesla would charge $100 a year. But, I got an email from them saying they want $9.99 a month ($119.88 a year). This kind of rubs me the wrong way, especially since I paid a premium for my AWD LR Model 3. Some might say the almost $20 more a year isn't that much. Maybe, but remember that subscription based anything, always ends up with increases every year. And part of the reason I bought a Tesla, was to lower my overall cost to drive.
Sigh...$20

No matter what they do...certain people will always think they are entitled to more

Exactly. When I was purchasing my Model X from a third party dealer in June 2018, it was known to me then that any new or used purchases, including from a 3rd parties, would be subject to the premium connectivity after June 30. As others have posted, $9.99 is a great deal when you compare this to OnStar, Sirius, or UConnect. I am no fan-boy of Tesla by any means, and I support this decision knowing they should have implemented this in July 2018 when they said they would.

Exactly. When I was purchasing my Model X from a third party dealer in June 2018, it was known to me then that any new or used purchases, including from a 3rd parties, would be subject to the premium connectivity after June 30. As others have posted, $9.99 is a great deal when you compare this to OnStar, Sirius, or UConnect. I am no fan-boy of Tesla by any means, and I support this decision knowing they should have implemented this in July 2018 when they said they would.
I think in July 18 they said you would get a year of free. So technically they should have started this process in July 19. So some have received 5 months of extra free. Instead of saying thank you, they will certainly say they have somehow been cheated.

Reactions: house9
I think in July 18 they said you would get a year of free. So technically they should have started this process in July 19. So some have received 5 months of extra free. Instead of saying thank you, they will certainly say they have somehow been cheated.

Thank you for reminding me, you are absolutely correct that it was supposed to be a year free. With that, it looks like those who purchased in July 2018 got an extra few months for free.

View attachment 485632

Just got this interesting premium connectivity email a few minutes ago! Looks like they’ve finally finalized their plan and billing! For $10/mo getting live traffic, satellite view, AND all the streaming options it’s a “no duh” moment! Cheaper then when I subscribed to XM Radio with my previous car!

Edit: Also, I’ll be damned, Musk did say it would come before the end of the year... and looks like he just nailed that time frame!
You need an option for not needing it...because I have lifetime

Wn9u32Mh.png

It was always said on features page, here's from Oct 2018

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191207-092935_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20191207-092935_Chrome.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
I can't say what some deeply buried page might have said, or what other people might have known, but I'd placed my order in 2016, and when I bought the car in December 2018, to the best of my knowledge there was nothing that mentioned that this touted feature of the Premium Interior was temporary.

How is using the phone as hotspot going to put the satellite and traffic updates on the screen?
You are simply wrong. If you put the order in 2016, you had the opportunity to take delivery before July 2018. You chose not to. And I’m 100% certain that this was widely known and discussed that the lifetime free was ending.

How can I be certain if we pay for Premium that we'll get the traffic and satellite? I would really like to see how the traffic data is displayed before I spring for Premium...
I have one of the earliest SR+ (with 2.5 hardware) and when I first got it, the maps were locked to satellite view. So I am sure your hardware supports it.
What surprised me was that the post indicated we all the traffic routing feature even without premium connectivity (we just dont see the visualization of what we are being routed around).