Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD TRIAL… 3 months? One month? No month?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So…I have a 2018 with FSD computer. The upgrade screen gives me an option to pay $199 a month.
I have some thoughts that I would really appreciate your opinion on.
1. Why is this an additional fee? If the cars capable of it why up charge?
2. I keep reading about a free trial for three months. When I called CS they mentioned I needed a referral code or something , how does that trial work and how does one get a Refferal code?
3. Has anyone had any luck with a free month or something….not trying to sound cheap but I would
Like to actually use it IRL before subscribing.
4. Appreciate any and all tips as usual!
5. Just as an aside; I did get a month of premium connectivity and I intend to pay the $99 a year for that.

Why is this an additional fee?
That's the way to get FSD. It's an additional enabling piece of software beyond the base model features.
free trial for three months
Free 3 when you buy a new car. I don't know if that promotion is still on, ask the SC. You can get a referral code from anyone who has a Tesla. Check the app, you also have a referral code but you can't use it on yourself

I did get a month of premium connectivity
We all get free premium for the first year.

Last edited:
That's the same way as many apartments with cable-ready, with all the wiring ready but you still have to pay to watch.

Your cell phone can be 5G capable but you still have to pay the 5G cell service to use it.

2. I keep reading about a free trial for three months. When I called CS they mentioned I needed a referral code or something , how does that trial work and how does one get a Refferal code?
You can refer and earn:

1,400 credits would earn you a glass
10,000 credits would earn you 3 months of FSD trial

Reactions: zoomer0056
What I’m seeing is the upgrade for $199 a month and my car having FSD computer. Nothing about beta.
According to the rep if I hit upgrade I’ll have it right away. Anyone here pay the $199 a month and confirm it works right away?
Re: the Refferal code, I got the impression this was a special one for the trial FSD oppose to something you need to earn.

So…I have a 2018 with FSD computer. The upgrade screen gives me an option to pay $199 a month.
I have some thoughts that I would really appreciate your opinion on.
3. Has anyone had any luck with a free month or something….not trying to sound cheap but I would
Like to actually use it IRL before subscribing.
4. Appreciate any and all tips as usual!
5. Just as an aside; I did get a month of premium connectivity and I intend to pay the $99 a year for that.
Essentially, you have the hardware for FSD; not the software. That's either lump sum or $199/month on an as needed basis. We all want different things for different reasons. From my point of view, I'm the sucker that paid the lump sum for something that I like less than the AP 1 I have on my 2016 MS. Opinions ar like certain body parts: every one has one. So you're getting my opinion. Better, I think, to rent it for a month or two or three and decide you really want to plunk down a big lump sum and be out an additional $600 rather than plunk down a big lump sum and decide you don't like FSD. At that point you're out a lot versus only an additional $600. It's just a thought.

Reactions: 100d
Essentially, you have the hardware for FSD; not the software. That's either lump sum or $199/month on an as needed basis. We all want different things for different reasons. From my point of view, I'm the sucker that paid the lump sum for something that I like less than the AP 1 I have on my 2016 MS. Opinions ar like certain body parts: every one has one. So you're getting my opinion. Better, I think, to rent it for a month or two or three and decide you really want to plunk down a big lump sum and be out an additional $600 rather than plunk down a big lump sum and decide you don't like FSD. At that point you're out a lot versus only an additional $600. It's just a thought.
Also. My impression was you had to put down some $$ to get the hardware installed. That true?

Also. My impression was you had to put down some $$ to get the hardware installed. That true?
Some small footnotes:

Your 2018 Model 3 needs at least:

Hw3 computer.

If you didn't pay FSD, you might still have the original hw2.5.

In that case, if you pay FSD fully, you can get the Hw3 upgrade included in that payment.

If you subscribe, Tesla would charge you one time payment additionally for Hw3. In that case, $199 is not the only payment to get your FSD service started.

Where can I check if I have HW3? And when. You say they would charge a one time payment does that mean they would just charge it automatically and put on HW3?
When you subscribe, you should get this error

FSD-upgrade-e1626833617485.jpg

You then pay separately for hw3 at a Service Center.