Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity: is it that unstable? (California/Bay Area)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
During this first week of experience with the Model 3 this is the most frustrating issue: half of the driving time the car is totally disconnected or showing maybe a bar but unable to connect to any service (like Spotify) or the satnav to make a route.
Is it that poor the AT&T coverage in the Bay Area or there’s something wrong in the car?
Any diagnostic I can run in service mode?
Thank you!!

The LTE bands are being slowly retired so they can be replaced by 5G services. So it wouldn't surprise me much if AT&T's 4G LTE coverage is going downhill over time.

Saw problems like this when 3G was retired. FWIW, the Chargepoint locations at Place of Work went off line for a couple of months until somebody got out there and swapped the telephony modems.

Dunno if Telsa will/can replace the 4G modems with 5G types. There's been some hints that the software will support it, but no hard data as of yet.

I wonder if it would be possible to upgrade Tesla to 5G?

I experienced the same connection issues with my 2018 Tesla and my older LTE phone,
while my new 5G phone is working fine.
A lot of time it’s the frequency band being used. Low frequency bands have great range but lousy data rates; high frequency bands have sometimes exceedingly short range, what with water absorption in the air, but can reach Gb/s data rates. Mid bands are in the middle, natch.

The actual bands used by a carrier are those that they’ve paid for. As a real example, Verizon’s early 5G offerings were notably only on very high bands, leading to rotten 5G coverage that only covered city centers and couldn’t be used if one was inside any kind of building. At the same time T-Mobile had won the bids on a huge number of low and medium bands, so their 5G coverage was very much better than Verizon’s, a fact that T-Mobile was not shy about advertising. T-Mobile didn’t get the data rates, of course, but better to have coverage and low speed than high speed and no coverage, I guess.

So, all that was in the early portion of the transition. Since then, all the carriers have been paying $$$$$ for more bands (which they’re loath to do, if they can help it) or closing down a band with 4G and putting 5G up on it. Supposedly 5G has better utilization (ability to put more customers on a cell site) than 4G, so there’s a gradual push to retire 4G bands over time.

And the US ain’t Europe, where lousy coverage will get one in trouble with the regulators. It appears that the FCC’s long-term approach is to let the market handle it; so if people don’t like the coverage, they can simply walk to another carrier. Which works OK if one has a cell phone and one of those carrier coverage maps, I guess, but not so well if one is locked into one carrier, period, on some 4G service which is gradually being retired in favor of 5G.

Main point is that which bands are being used for what by a given carrier in order to maximize coverage and speed, while investing in serious hardware like cell phone towers and fiber backhaul is one of those dark arts by which carriers try to compete. So a coverage hole that AT&T has on 4G, but not 5G? Not a surprise.

Last edited:
Reactions: mirkop82
Thank you for all the great inputs!

This morning I got access to service mode and, ta-da! Primary antenna: open 😩

As suggested in another old thread here I tried to do a software reinstall but it didn't solve the problem.

I guess the next step is to open up the driver-side mirror casing?

IMG_1634.jpeg

Last edited: