Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity revoked on "used" cars ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The site Connectivity says that

What happens to my Premium Connectivity subscription if I sell or trade-in my car?
If Premium Connectivity is included on your car at no cost, it will be removed automatically at the time of trade-in. If the car is sold privately, Premium Connectivity will remain for future owners for the lifetime of the car.

In fact my 2016 S which I bought in June is now telling me that I need to buy premium connectivity.

I was not told of this "premium connectivity will be revoked"; quite the opposite I was led to believe that the older Ss would retain their connectivity.

As far as I can tell that page was put up recently (informing everyone they were stripping older cars of PC).

So ... what's the story?

What happens to my Premium Connectivity subscription if I sell or trade-in my car?
If Premium Connectivity is included on your car at no cost, it will be removed automatically at the time of trade-in. If the car is sold privately, Premium Connectivity will remain for future owners for the lifetime of the car.

In fact my 2016 S which I bought in June is now telling me that I need to buy premium connectivity.

I was not told of this "premium connectivity will be revoked"; quite the opposite I was led to believe that the older Ss would retain their connectivity.

As far as I can tell that page was put up recently (informing everyone they were stripping older cars of PC).

So ... what's the story?
Same boat here... bought used from Tesla in March of 2019 and was told that premium connectivity would be good for life of the car. Now my account says that I need to subscribe by 12/31/19... I didnt even get a year of it. Im hoping this is a typo/mistake like many things on their website. My used warranty is also inaccurate on my account webpage.

Same boat here... bought used from Tesla in March of 2019 and was told that premium connectivity would be good for life of the car. Now my account says that I need to subscribe by 12/31/19... I didnt even get a year of it. Im hoping this is a typo/mistake like many things on their website. My used warranty is also inaccurate on my account webpage.

I'm annoyed by the 120k mile battery warranty change -- but that's clearly indefensible. There is an enormous amount of documentation to the effect that the battery/drive unit battery for those is 8 years / unlimited miles. Tesla will just do the same thing my 10 year old does when I catch him doing a stupid "oops that was a mistake" (weird how they're always in your favor, eh?).

The lifetime connectivity issue is a little sketchier; the pre 2018 S/X are attributed as "lifetime premium connectivity" but there is no mention of "is telsa ever gets possession of it that is stripped away". As far as I can tell that wording was invented in December of 2019.

For instance, this reddit discussion includes the quote:
All used Tesla cars purchased on or before June 30, 2018 will continue to have the Premium Connectivity features described above at no cost for as long as the car is active. All used Tesla cars purchased on or after July 1, 2018 will have either Standard Connectivity or Premium Connectivity, as connectivity service levels will remain active through a sale or ownership transfer of the car. Premium Connectivity will be available for purchase via the in-car touchscreen.

I can't find an archive.org copy of the above statement, just a quote of it in a reddit thread... And even that thread I have to read 3-6 times; "connectivity service levels will remain active through a sale or ownership transfer" certainly sounds to me like "the level that was with the car remains with the car through a transfer."

If the above language was documented somewhere publicly, we have a situation where Tesla used car sales are meeting the expected honesty threshold of a traditional "used car dealer"; certainly I was led to believe that the lifetime connectivity was "car's lifetime" not "green banana's lifetime".

Does anyone with a better brain and tidier records than me have better evidence to support the "lifetime" claim?

Last edited:
I have no idea why they are even charging this for MCU1 cars. Do they plan to give us YouTube and Netflix?

I remember reading that the netflix / youtube features would only be available via wifi; that doesn't seem to be the case with this current version of the connectivity feature page. I'm not sure if I just made up that it was only going to be available via wifi...

I would gladly tie my MCU1 to lifetime premium connectivity (IE if I upgrade the MCU to an MCU2 I lose the connectivity package the car was born with.

As it stands, it looks like (at best) incompetence / (at worst) shady business practices; same as the battery warranty.

I'm annoyed by the 120k mile battery warranty change -- but that's clearly indefensible. There is an enormous amount of documentation to the effect that the battery/drive unit battery for those is 8 years / unlimited miles. Tesla will just do the same thing my 10 year old does when I catch him doing a stupid "oops that was a mistake" (weird how they're always in your favor, eh?).

The lifetime connectivity issue is a little sketchier; the pre 2018 S/X are attributed as "lifetime premium connectivity" but there is no mention of "is telsa ever gets possession of it that is stripped away". As far as I can tell that wording was invented in December of 2019.

For instance, this reddit discussion includes the quote:

I can't find an archive.org copy of the above statement, just a quote of it in a reddit thread... And even that thread I have to read 3-6 times; "connectivity service levels will remain active through a sale or ownership transfer" certainly sounds to me like "the level that was with the car remains with the car through a transfer."

If the above language was documented somewhere publicly, we have a situation where Tesla used car sales are meeting the expected honesty threshold of a traditional "used car dealer"; certainly I was led to believe that the lifetime connectivity was "car's lifetime" not "green banana's lifetime".

Does anyone with a better brain and tidier records than me have better evidence to support the "lifetime" claim?

I found the reddit quote reference in the wayback from August 2018. Until a few days ago, as far as I can tell there was NO nomenclature that can justify the removal of these features from a used car. If I bought my car today, sure, because I have the knowledge and the choice before buying. Tesla just made up the current language on their website and are now using it to try and justify. Tomorrow they'll say "lifetime" supercharging was in fact, the lifetime of that green banana, which has sadly turned brown.

The gray area is that I don't Tesla ever explicitly stated (until the June 30th 2018 announcement of premium connectivity) that the media features for the legacy cars were permanent, but they never stated otherwise either. Another argument you could use is to just pull up an owners manual from your model year car. For example, this from the 2015 manual:

"Model S provides you with one or more Internet radio services. To enter your log in information, touch Controls > Settings > Apps > Media Player. Enter the email and password associated with the Internet radio account.
Slacker
You can use your own Slacker account or the one that Tesla has already set up for you.
etc.. etc.."

If you purchased a 2015 model year car, these features were standard. Regardless of whether Tesla didn't mention them in your purchase agreement, it is inherently part of the car until they explicitly tell you it is not; which they didn't do until a few days ago.

For me, it has nothing to do with the money. They're basically asking for 1k for "lifetime" premium now. Which on a 50k car is nothing. It's just the principle and shady business practices. My whole order process with them was a nightmare. Double charged my $2500 deposit. Listing said car was in LA but was actually in Fremont (not a huge deal). Tried to change the 4 year 50k to 2 year 100k mile warranty upon pickup. Demanded my money before letting my look at the car. The car had broken AC and motor milling noise at time of delivery (some 70 point inspection). Wouldn't give me a copy of a due bill. Can't drive the car before taking delivery. Now months later trying to take away features that are inherently part of the car.

I'll totally go to arbitration with them about this. In fact, it should be a class action lawsuit. How many thousands of used cars did they sell between June 30th 2018 and now?

Last edited:
Reactions: Mensrea
For me, it has nothing to do with the money. They're basically asking for 1k for "lifetime" premium now. Which on a 50k car is nothing. It's just the principle and shady business practices.

I feel the same way. What are they going to start charging for next, the Tesla App on the play/Google Store?

I have Satellite maps and Streaming music on my MCU1 car with no mention of it being a 'trial version' up until 2 weeks ago (MS 2016 but bought used in May 2019). They made up new rules and are trying to apply them to existing cars, super shady.

I found the reddit quote reference in the wayback from August 2018. Until a few days ago, as far as I can tell there was NO nomenclature that can justify the removal of these features from a used car. If I bought my car today, sure, because I have the knowledge and the choice before buying. Tesla just made up the current language on their website and are now using it to try and justify. Tomorrow they'll say "lifetime" supercharging was in fact, the lifetime of that green banana, which has sadly turned brown.

any chance of getting this snapshot from say July of this year? I know many of us bought the car this year so would be nice to show them this. I was told if We can provide proof (ie their website snapshot) they will honor our connectivity. I assume they’re naming on none of us hanging this.

Just give them the snap from Aug 2018 (or Oct 2018), and say its from 2019. It hasn't changed so there wouldn't be any difference. The only change was in December 2019.

Honestly its B.S. to put the burden of proof on the consumers, they know when they website was updated and what changes were made or else how would they be able to refute a photo-shopped screenshot saying "Any Tesla owner prior to December 1st 2019 will get a free Roadster and Cybertruck once they are released"?

So the question is ... what to actually do about it?

Options include:
  • start tethering phone, be cranky at tesla
  • give money to tesla, be cranky at tesla
  • stop using premium connectivity features, be cranky at tesal
  • sue tesla / small claims court
  • escalate to tesla support
  • arbitration

So the question is ... what to actually do about it?

Options include:
  • start tethering phone, be cranky at tesla
  • give money to tesla, be cranky at tesla
  • stop using premium connectivity features, be cranky at tesal
  • sue tesla / small claims court
  • escalate to tesla support
  • arbitration

For MCU1 my choice would be:

• don't give money to tesla, ignore the unavailable "features" caused by this and keep all this in mind later when competition is around and new car options come up.

• Disagree
Reactions: PhilDavid
for Me I’m going to talk to the service center when I’m there this week for the death rattle. See if they can help me. If not them I’ll escalate to Tesla.

if they don’t do anything I’ll pay the fee and be cranky about the situation. I’m hoping it won’t come to that.(for me I’d pay because I do use my maps for traffic routing all the time. Daily. And because I’ve prepaid a year for slacker. And Spotify (Black Friday or cyber Monday. Can’t remember which) so I’d be out even more money. I know I can use them at home. But I don’t.

So ... what's the story?
So, I have an S that I bought in September 2018. Do I need to sign up to continue the premium connectivity? If so, how do I do that? TIA

Our Tesla account shows that my wife's 2013 Model S already has standard connectivity. This is despite our having purchased it used in January 2014 4 1/2 years before the July 1 ,2018 date. Thing is it says we have standard connectivity, but we really have premium based on the fact that she still has satellite maps and traffic. Not going to rock the boat unless something changes.

Reactions: markn455

The gray area is that I don't Tesla ever explicitly stated (until the June 30th 2018 announcement of premium connectivity) that the media features for the legacy cars were permanent, but they never stated otherwise either. Another argument you could use is to just pull up an owners manual from your model year car. For example, this from the 2015 manual:

"Model S provides you with one or more Internet radio services. To enter your log in information, touch Controls > Settings > Apps > Media Player. Enter the email and password associated with the Internet radio account.
Slacker
You can use your own Slacker account or the one that Tesla has already set up for you.
etc.. etc.."

If you purchased a 2015 model year car, these features were standard. Regardless of whether Tesla didn't mention them in your purchase agreement, it is inherently part of the car until they explicitly tell you it is not; which they didn't do until a few days ago.

For me, it has nothing to do with the money. They're basically asking for 1k for "lifetime" premium now. Which on a 50k car is nothing. It's just the principle and shady business practices. My whole order process with them was a nightmare. Double charged my $2500 deposit. Listing said car was in LA but was actually in Fremont (not a huge deal). Tried to change the 4 year 50k to 2 year 100k mile warranty upon pickup. Demanded my money before letting my look at the car. The car had broken AC and motor milling noise at time of delivery (some 70 point inspection). Wouldn't give me a copy of a due bill. Can't drive the car before taking delivery. Now months later trying to take away features that are inherently part of the car.

I'll totally go to arbitration with them about this. In fact, it should be a class action lawsuit. How many thousands of used cars did they sell between June 30th 2018 and now?

I have no doubt sales people mislead owners, however

2013 Earnings report references it:

“To further enhance the driver experience, new Model S customers will now receive free data connectivity and Internet radio for four years. As an added benefit to our existing Model S customers, the free four year period starts on January 1, 2014. To be fair to all, in rare cases a customer may be charged for extreme data use.”

https://ir.tesla.com/static-files/dcbd65a8-c7aa-4538-8a81-49b1b1971a14

Here is where I’m at....

bought my 2013 model S almost two years ago. About a month ago I stopped getting connected to internet via LTe. Same time mileage limit appeared on my Tesla account. Just checked and there is an empty box next to warranty now. Found paper work that says only 60kwt have a limit on mileage. Mine is 85.
still can’t connect - my account says that I have free premium connectivity. I’m getting to the point of being a frustrated Tesla owner ....
Paid
800 4 year service
800 to replace tpms
300 - total to fix handles two diff occasions
250 to replace 12v battery
1000 to replace charge port -piece of Supercharger stuck in it.... out of my pocket why?

this is just what I can remember. About to trade it in... getting to that point with my frustration
Oh one time driving in backcountry, doing 73, all the lights just go out...

Attachments

• 59CB468E-E087-48B7-8B6D-CEAE4A4A20A5.png
    59CB468E-E087-48B7-8B6D-CEAE4A4A20A5.png
    321.6 KB · Views: 187
I have no doubt sales people mislead owners, however

2013 Earnings report references it:

“To further enhance the driver experience, new Model S customers will now receive free data connectivity and Internet radio for four years. As an added benefit to our existing Model S customers, the free four year period starts on January 1, 2014. To be fair to all, in rare cases a customer may be charged for extreme data use.”

https://ir.tesla.com/static-files/dcbd65a8-c7aa-4538-8a81-49b1b1971a14
My connection stopped working a month ago... it’s not even 2020 yet. One of the biggest reasons why I like Tesla was because you can precondition the car from a distance. But now I won’t be able to warm it up or cool it down unless I’m home because I’m not connected to Wi-Fi. At home I can just walk up to it and start it. The whole point of having this connection is to be able to do it when you’re not at the car ...