Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity Subscription

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Hairyman

Jul 24, 2019
Australia
I received an email today saying I needed to start subscribing for premium connectivity for my M3P.

I went to my account to sign up, but got an error message.

Can anyone remember if the M3Ps are supposed to get lifetime premium connectivity - which might be causing the error?

I don’t mind paying, I’m more interested in making sure I keep the full set of features.

Am I right in thinking that Premium Connectivity allows the data uploads to Tesla and if it's not active they can't do the monitoring of the autopilot performance etc? Seems a bit unethical if we have to pay for them to get the data which is required for legislation!

Another thought - there are multiple YouTube videos - Tesla Tom and TeslaStraya just two - showing autopilot in use on "normal" roads: is this strictly legal or does the "driver responsible" clause allow this?

Thoughts?

Ahh, thanks. I ordered before June 30, so that may be the reason.

Sounds like you should have it free for life then? Might need to contact them.

Am I right in thinking that Premium Connectivity allows the data uploads to Tesla and if it's not active they can't do the monitoring of the autopilot performance etc? Seems a bit unethical if we have to pay for them to get the data which is required for legislation!

Car is always connected to 4G even without subscribing, it just allows Spotify and Satellite Maps, Live Traffic etc while on their 4G, best believe they are still taking data from the car no matter what.

Not sure about being legal on your other question though but good point, I use AutoPilot on normal roads as well.

As already said, the car is always connected. It uses some weird off-peak data plan, downloads most updates, and uploads anything of interest. Premium Connectivity expands on that. My YouTube usage when I take a nap in the car while slow charging on the road, for example, involves a bit of data use that I'm happy to pay extra for. And my riders are all wowed by the aerial maps.

Another thought - there are multiple YouTube videos - Tesla Tom and TeslaStraya just two - showing autopilot in use on "normal" roads: is this strictly legal or does the "driver responsible" clause allow this?

The driver is always responsible. Tesla isn't the only company to make cars that hold you in a lane. And that's largely what autopilot is. It's not a copilot - who can do your job for you. It's just an autopilot. It just maintains your altitude, course and speed. Well, maybe not altitude.

upload_2020-9-24_12-14-48.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Hairyman
>>The driver is always responsible. Tesla isn't the only company to make cars that hold you in a lane. And that's largely what autopilot is. It's not a copilot - who can do your job for you. It's just an autopilot. It just maintains your altitude, course and speed. Well, maybe not altitude.<<

Yes, of course. (I've used autopilot for many years). But whether it's legal to use it without specific legislation is a very grey area IMO.

>>The driver is always responsible. Tesla isn't the only company to make cars that hold you in a lane. And that's largely what autopilot is. It's not a copilot - who can do your job for you. It's just an autopilot. It just maintains your altitude, course and speed. Well, maybe not altitude.<<

Yes, of course. (I've used autopilot for many years). But whether it's legal to use it without specific legislation is a very grey area IMO.
Generally speaking we don't exist to serve the government. It's the other way around. Unless they specifically make something illegal, via an appropriate democratic process, then it's legal.

I received an email today saying I needed to start subscribing for premium connectivity for my M3P.

Can anyone remember if the M3Ps are supposed to get lifetime premium connectivity - which might be causing the error?

I don’t mind paying, I’m more interested in making sure I keep the full set of features.
If you log into your tesla portal, and select manage, then when on your car page select details, and it will tell you if connectivity is included

>>Generally speaking we don't exist to serve the government. It's the other way around. Unless they specifically make something illegal, via an appropriate democratic process, then it's legal. <<

I'd love to see that held up in court! By your reasoning there will be no need for legislation on autonomous driving if it ever comes to pass?

I'd love to see that held up in court! By your reasoning there will be no need for legislation on autonomous driving if it ever comes to pass?
Very true. The road rules are written as "driver-must", because drivers are a revenue source & a responsible person for enforcement. Vehicles without drivers have any rules apply at all, because 213(2) covers those matters.

213 Making a motor vehicle secure
(1) This rule applies to the driver of a motor vehicle who stops and leaves the vehicle on a road, except so far as the driver is exempt from this rule by an exemption order under rule 213–1 or an exemption under rule 313A(2).
Note 1—
Motor vehicle is defined in the Dictionary.
Note 2—
Subrule (1) is not uniform with the corresponding subrule in rule 213 of the Australian Road Rules. However, the corresponding subrule in the Australian Road Rules allows another law of this jurisdiction to provide for drivers to be exempted from this rule. Different rules may apply in other Australian jurisdictions.
(2) Before leaving the vehicle, the driver must apply the parking brake effectively or, if weather conditions (for example, snow) would prevent the effective operation of the parking brake, effectively restrain the motor vehicle’s movement in another way.
Maximum penalty—20 penalty units.​

Now, arguably this condition is met, except for the meaning of the word 'effectively'. Has someone who makes their vehicle available for autonomous rideshare after they've left the vehicle (& put it in park) still effectively applied the parking brake? To the effect that it's restraining the operation of the vehicle (that last part isn't specified but it's implied based on the next phrase).

And an even more fun argument is 213(1) - what happens if you're on a road-related area but not on a road when you make the vehicle available for autonomous rideshare? ;-)

Very true. The road rules are written as "driver-must", because drivers are a revenue source & a responsible person for enforcement. Vehicles without drivers have any rules apply at all, because 213(2) covers those matters.

213 Making a motor vehicle secure
(1) This rule applies to the driver of a motor vehicle who stops and leaves the vehicle on a road, except so far as the driver is exempt from this rule by an exemption order under rule 213–1 or an exemption under rule 313A(2).
Note 1—
Motor vehicle is defined in the Dictionary.
Note 2—
Subrule (1) is not uniform with the corresponding subrule in rule 213 of the Australian Road Rules. However, the corresponding subrule in the Australian Road Rules allows another law of this jurisdiction to provide for drivers to be exempted from this rule. Different rules may apply in other Australian jurisdictions.
(2) Before leaving the vehicle, the driver must apply the parking brake effectively or, if weather conditions (for example, snow) would prevent the effective operation of the parking brake, effectively restrain the motor vehicle’s movement in another way.
Maximum penalty—20 penalty units.​

Now, arguably this condition is met, except for the meaning of the word 'effectively'. Has someone who makes their vehicle available for autonomous rideshare after they've left the vehicle (& put it in park) still effectively applied the parking brake? To the effect that it's restraining the operation of the vehicle (that last part isn't specified but it's implied based on the next phrase).

And an even more fun argument is 213(1) - what happens if you're on a road-related area but not on a road when you make the vehicle available for autonomous rideshare? ;-)
Somewhat hypothetical given there are no vehicles available that can do autonomous ride share

>>Somewhat hypothetical given there are no vehicles available that can do autonomous ride share <<

I was more interested in the situation that applies now - with FSD or EAP as is: it could be argued that the "driver" is not in control of the vehicle since he has little understanding of the algorithms' thought processes. An example would be if the car does a violent phantom brake and someone goes into you - as has often been the case with yours truly. These happen out of the blue and you have but a split second to determine whether it's braking because of an unseen (by you) object, or the bug. In the former it might be saving you from hitting something so hitting the gas pedal to override a bug wouldn't help.

It's all hypothetical until it isn't!

I was more interested in the situation that applies now - with FSD or EAP as is: it could be argued that the "driver" is not in control of the vehicle since he has little understanding of the algorithms' thought processes.
Despite taking this thread about premium connectivity completely OT (is there a relevant thread we should copy a quote-reply into & leave this thread alone?)...

Thinking over the perverse legalities around using Summon is also fun.

Rule 300: The driver of a vehicle must not use a mobile phone while the vehicle is moving.....(continues)​

View - NSW legislation

• Funny
Reactions: Wol747

Received the email today "Premium Connectivity Has Expired" and Tesla support have confirmed it is a glitch and the account will be restored.

M3P- ordered 6th June 2019