Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity & Warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Received the email this morning regarding the premium connectivity ending on 12/31. I knew it was coming but was hoping for the paying for the entire year at $100 (from what Elon said it may cost) but instead it will be a monthly subscription. I noticed one other thing in my account. Under warranty it has 8 years 120,000 miles for the battery and drive unit. That caught my eye because I always knew it to be unlimited miles. Is this showing up for everyone else with an S/X?

13274EFF-2A61-4697-9460-AB4423B0DB36.jpeg

I think (and hoping) that they have confused our Model S/X cars with Model 3 cars and just blasted all owners instead of just model 3 owners with the notification.

The warranty page was last updated in Feb and still only lists the 8 year warranty with no mileage limit: https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/tesla-new-vehicle-limited-warranty-en-us.pdf

Also, its my understanding that older S cars (MCU1) have lifetime premium connectivity subscription but I can't find the documentation to support that claim.

Reactions: Salvo
Hmmm logging into the account of my 2015 Model S that I bought used from Tesla this year it seems I will have to pay the subscription. I was hoping it would be included since it’s a 2015 model year car.

Gonna be interesting to see how it plays out. How come i need to pay $10 a month to get 2 feature (Satelite maps, streaming music), where as a new model 3 or S pays $10 and gets all of the features Video Streaming, Caraoke, Internet Browser. (Ha, ha ha)
:
Tesla starts charging $10 a month for its 'premium connectivity' features - Electrek
Premium connectivity.jpg

But I’m not the first owner. I bought it used earlier this year. Seems they are looking at the date the car was added to your account rather than the year of the car itself.

i updated my post. I am in the same situation as you and bought used this year. I am going to be a little upset if they take away features of my car that I had no advance notice of them going away or to be charged for.

Edit: it's a weird thing is to get a free premium slacker account with the purchase of the car but then wont have a way to use it unless i pay for a premium subscription service.

Last edited:
Reactions: BulldogsRus
I bought my 2014 S in 2017. Fingers crossed this doesn’t apply to me. I haven’t received the email (yet).
Does anyone know if streaming music will still work if you hotspot the car to your phone or do they disable Slacker without the $10/mo?

Received the email this morning regarding the premium connectivity ending on 12/31. I knew it was coming but was hoping for the paying for the entire year at $100 (from what Elon said it may cost) but instead it will be a monthly subscription. I noticed one other thing in my account. Under warranty it has 8 years 120,000 miles for the battery and drive unit. That caught my eye because I always knew it to be unlimited miles. Is this showing up for everyone else with an S/X?

View attachment 485677

My account also states 120k miles. I certainly hope that’s a typo as I will be crossing over 120k before 8 years.
On a positive note this is also listed:

Premium Connectivity

Free Unlimited

I bought my 2014 S in 2017. Fingers crossed this doesn’t apply to me. I haven’t received the email (yet).
Does anyone know if streaming music will still work if you hotspot the car to your phone or do they disable Slacker without the $10/mo?
I didn’t get the email but logging into my account it shows that I will need to pay for premium connectivity (which honestly I’m fine with).

I just bought a used 2014 from Tesla this year. I will no way pay $10 for 3G, no working browsers and streaming music that skips and lags. Very easy decision for me... I dont feel that the price is equitable compared to other owners who have LTE and no issues with browser, access to Netflix/Youtube, and streaming music that works. How is this fair?

UPDATE - I just checked my account and I have a notification that my premium connectivity ends Dec. 31, 2019 - WTF!!! I wasn't expecting that so soon. I've had my car for less than a year, either way not gonna happen for me, just not worth it for the early MCU1 3G cars.

Im sorry I keep editing this post... I just can't stop laughing to myself thinking that Elon thinks that early adopters with MCU1 cars who haven't had internet browsing for months, cant get netflix or youtube and have had music streaming issues for years are now going to pay him $10 a month... this is actual insanity.

Last edited:
I just bought a used 2014 from Tesla this year. I will no way pay $10 for 3G, no working browsers and streaming music that skips and lags. Very easy decision for me... I dont feel that the price is equitable compared to other owners who have LTE and no issues with browser, access to Netflix/Youtube, and streaming music that works. How is this fair?

UPDATE - I just checked my account and I have a notification that my premium connectivity ends Dec. 31, 2019 - WTF!!! I wasn't expecting that so soon. I've had my car for less than a year, either way not gonna happen for me, just not worth it for the early MCU1 3G cars.

Im sorry I keep editing this post... I just can't stop laughing to myself thinking that Elon thinks that early adopters with MCU1 cars who haven't had internet browsing for months, cant get netflix or youtube and have had music streaming issues for years are now going to pay him $10 a month... this is actual insanity.

Quote for truth! I feel the same way. AP1/MCU1 owners gets left in the dust after every update (I've accepted that and now fine with that) and now you are going to charge them or take something away! LOL!

Edit: How much data could a MCU1 user possibly use?!? 1GB per month tops?

I’ve got LTE and use Spotify and Satellite maps so it’s worth it to me. $120/year is nothing really for what I’m getting from it in my opinion, especially if it’s helping the mission.

If the car has MCU1, then it was built before July 2018, and should have free connectivity forever, so I'm not sure the issue.

The more disconcerting issue is the 8 year, 120,000 mile battery warranty from 8 year, unlimited mile warranty change. I understand future models, but I KNOW back in 2017 it was unlimited. I really don't know why they can't document this properly. I'm also confident that if there is an issue after 120,000 miles but before 8 years, that they WILL cover it.

Why would anyone pay for this service? The things you don't need wifi for (navigation, live traffic, satellite view) you get for free on Waze, etc. Video streaming, caraoke, music streaming, internet you need wifi for. If I am on wifi, I am home or at work. Those services can't be used when driving. What is the point then?

Why would anyone pay for this service? The things you don't need wifi for (navigation, live traffic, satellite view) you get for free on Waze, etc. Video streaming, caraoke, music streaming, internet you need wifi for. If I am on wifi, I am home or at work. Those services can't be used when driving. What is the point then?
Music streaming mainly, which obviously is done over cellular.

Same situation here (in the account now showing the 120K limitation for my Model S battery warranty, versus what it showed prior-with no mileage restriction).

Like most here, hoping this is just a mistake, as the terms under which many (like myself) bought their cars, was with the specific belief (and representation coming from Tesla) that they’d have 8 years / unlimited miles.

This has historically been one of the many things I love to share with others re: what favorably sets Tesla apart.

Hopefully they simply correct it for those affected, that shouldn’t be.

I think some would say you’re not really an early adopter since you bought the car used after July 2018.
Honestly it would be a tough decision for me to pay for the service. My LTE reception is not great in the car while my phone’s reception is always much better. It’s still not clear to me whether you can hotspot the car to your phone and still have access to the features without paying the monthly fee.