Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

preparing for delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My delivery date is June 29th so i having been searching these forums looking for advice. Great forum!! Some of the threads had gotten very long and can be heard to follow (e.g. tinting post 72 pages with fights) So i am asking for and advice from those interested to share, Thanks.

I live in south florida(hot). I have ordered the jump seats and my wife said kids wont use them. I would like to give them every opportunity to succeed and avoid "i told you so" So as far as tinting vs the aftermarket sunshield. Both? Is there a better brand of tint? in the past i have just gotten generic tinting.
I guess buying some D-cell operated fans from amazon is also a good idea to circulate air in the back. Any other suggestions or specific fans.

We also bought the rapid charger (wife's idea) and i have had it installed. Anyone with the rapid charger know about child safety with it in the garage and 4 kids. I guess i will keep it off from the breaker while i am not charging.

Any other preparations for the car or home?

thanks

My delivery date is June 29th so i having been searching these forums looking for advice. Great forum!! Some of the threads had gotten very long and can be heard to follow (e.g. tinting post 72 pages with fights) So i am asking for and advice from those interested to share, Thanks.

I live in south florida(hot). I have ordered the jump seats and my wife said kids wont use them. I would like to give them every opportunity to succeed and avoid "i told you so" So as far as tinting vs the aftermarket sunshield. Both? Is there a better brand of tint? in the past i have just gotten generic tinting.
I guess buying some D-cell operated fans from amazon is also a good idea to circulate air in the back. Any other suggestions or specific fans.

We also bought the rapid charger (wife's idea) and i have had it installed. Anyone with the rapid charger know about child safety with it in the garage and 4 kids. I guess i will keep it off from the breaker while i am not charging.

Any other preparations for the car or home?

thanks

By the "rapid charger" are you referring to the HPWC? If so, power will NOT flow from the HPWC without negotiating with the car first. When you plug in, there is a pilot communication that must be initiated with the car prior to power flow. It appears that this communication also let's the car know what the capacity of the circuit is as well as performing a ground fault test. This is configured via dip switches in the HPWC. So, I have a 60A breaker which is communicated to the car when I plug in (there is normal delay). The car will then draw 48A (which is 90%). If I had a 100A breaker it would draw the full 80A. Also, there is a contactor (relay) inside which permits power to flow to the wand (which you can definitely hear). I would say with most certainty that you could (within reason) poke and prod the wand and nothing would happen. I would venture a guess that it's pretty child friendly.

I've heard of parents letting their kids plug the car in due to the safety features. I would leave that up to you.

I live in Mass, so tinting really isn't necessary. The A/C compressor, as some have alluded to, can be a bit noisy and you may be able to feel and hear a slight hum inside the car. There is apparently some sort of fix for the loudest of them, however, I cannot confirm. If you're geeky, I've recently discovered that there are louvers on each side of the nose cone that open to allow extra air flow. They are vented at the tires which can be felt if you stick your hands between the tire and wheel well. I WOULD NOT allow kids to stick their fingers in there as I don't know the force at which they would close. Remember, the car is pretty self sufficient and may react without input from you (A/C, heating, etc.). It truly is an amazing piece of machinery. You'll begin to think of less as a machine as time goes on. If you have the handles auto-present when you get close, it almost whispers to you that it wants to go for a ride (as some have also alluded to). I don't know if I necessarily agree with the sentiment that the car has a "personality".

Hold on. I have to go, my car is calling me...

Now for the REAL problem... Waiting...

Mine reminds me of the family dog that when you walk by the door it runs up wagging its tail ready to go for a walk. The tesla is kind of like that....you walk by the car with the keys in your pocket and the door handles pop out just ready to go for a drive.

You will love it when it comes. I still remember my delivery day in February 2013 here in Mt. Dora!

Hi,

We have a 5 year old and I have taught him how to correctly plug the car in, so we do it together. The cord is stored out of his reach when the car is not plugged in so I don't have a concern that he'll try to do it by himself. And as others have said, no power is flowing to the handle until it's plugged into the car which is a great safety feature for everyone. Heh, just try to stop them wanting to plug the car in! :)

My son also doesn't like the rear facing seats, mainly because he can't talk to us or see us in the front seats. I think when he's a little older he'll like it more.

Best of luck!

-m

I live in SW Florida too. I recommend using 3M™ Crystalline Automotive Films to tint at least your rear window which absorbs 97% of infrared and 60% of heat coming through your window. You can do the other windows with 3M™ Color Stable which is less expensive. In addition I purchased and installed the original Tesla rear sunshade which fits nicely into the gap between the rear hatch and the window. Don't go with an aftermarket product! Good luck!

thanks for suggestions. Is the 3m tint something you ask for? or do most installers carry it.? i usually use an installer who comes to the house, are there any specific places for tint installation that specialize in the 3m tint?

Do you leave the rear sunshade in place? does it obscure the view?

thanks again