Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preparing to be towed with black screens

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2019 Raven MX with both screens black (no reset methods seem to work). It still goes onto R and D so I’m probably able to drive it but who knows for how long. It would be safer to be towed and that’s what the SC instructed me to do. Assuming I can find neutral, is that all that’s needed to prepare for a tow? I’ve read here about transport mode. Is that something different and necessary? If I exit the car while in neutral will it go into park automatically? Suggestions?

2019 Raven MX with both screens black (no reset methods seem to work). It still goes onto R and D so I’m probably able to drive it but who knows for how long. It would be safer to be towed and that’s what the SC instructed me to do. Assuming I can find neutral, is that all that’s needed to prepare for a tow? I’ve read here about transport mode. Is that something different and necessary? If I exit the car while in neutral will it go into park automatically? Suggestions?
The manual tells you what to do.

A tow truck has skid pads to move a disabled car, so you might not need to do anything.

Driving a short distance in the driveway to the tow truck without the screens is fine.

Neutral without a driver would risk unintended roll-away. As long as there's a driver to brake as needed, neutral is fine to move your car to the tow truck.

The more I read about this, the more I’m inclined to simply drive the car to the SC. The car had 200+ miles of range available when the screens went dark. I took it around the block and it seems to drive just fine sans screens. The SC is about 25 miles away. For speed control I can follow my wife who needs to drive me home anyway. Everything else works fine (steering, braking, turn signals, lights, etc.). Am I missing a significant risk in doing so?

Reactions: scottf200
The more I read about this, the more I’m inclined to simply drive the car to the SC. The car had 200+ miles of range available when the screens went dark. I took it around the block and it seems to drive just fine sans screens. The SC is about 25 miles away. For speed control I can follow my wife who needs to drive me home anyway. Everything else works fine (steering, braking, turn signals, lights, etc.). Am I missing a significant risk in doing so?
If you can handle driving without the displays, do it. I drove my 2018 X that way. And even rebooted the UI it while driving to fix radio issues. As you point out the car drives fine, expect for the displays.

When mine was in this boat, I couldn't even put it in N. It was backed into my garage. The tow operator did have skid pads he was able to get under the tires and was able to easily pull it our of the garage and onto the flatbed.

Update. Drove it screenless to the SC. Turn signals and brake lights worked but no indicator sounds. No issues except AC blew cold the whole way and I had no way to turn it off. We stayed off the freeways in case I was wrong about SoC. Now waiting for the diagnosis. They have it for the weekend. Hopefully I’ll find out on Monday.

Reactions: jboy210