Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preventive eMMC replacement on MCU1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd like to understand (for Model 3 which I hope wouldn't have the issue but probably would) how Tesla can call the car a million mile car with a known defect - the defect being allowing the Linux kernel to log w/o bounds and wear out a known wear item.. the autopilot log, in S and X, writes to an SSD card (see Rich Rebuilds video). If all that logging really has value, then use the proper component or one easy to replace.. right?

Reactions: Nick70d
Hi! Happened to mine S here in Norway, 4 years old and 235k km. Replacing yourself the eMMC is not easy at all and bears the risk to damage more than it is. Tesla checked the logs (online) and told me it happened during FW update. Probably that's the reason replacement was a goodwill from Tesla :) A great service! Yes, can be a big issue in a cold winter.
It will not be easy for sure, but I rather prevent this then wait for it to happen.

Electronics and Linux is my daily work, so I think I’ll be fine.

I received my 64GB eMMC today.

Does anyone know if this affects 2018/2019 model 3's?
That’s uncertain. They have the same new MCU as Model S and X now have, so time will tell.

“I’m sorry WidoDhave, I can’t let you do that” ;)
Computer(Elon)

Many stories out there tell that the flash storage (eMMC) on MCU1 will wear out sooner or later. This is known with flash memory and at that moment your Tesla will die. It won't charge and possibly only drive in limb-mode.

I have a 2013 S85 and a 2018 100D and the first one still has an MCU1 which has been running for 5,5 years now.

If the MCU dies Tesla will charge EUR 3000 (I'm in Europe) for a MCU replacement while only a small memory chip has failed.

I found this blog: Replacing eMMC in MCU

The same is shown in this video:

I've just ordered 64GB of eMMC storage for ~EUR 80 and a AllSocket eMMC programmer so that I can re-program the memory.

I'll go to a local electronics repair shop to help me with de-soldering and soldering the eMMC on the MCU. I'm thinking about doing this preventive to make sure the car doesn't die on me while driving. It's not a question of "if", but "when" it seems.

Has anybody replaced the eMMC memory on their MCU1 and can share some more experiences?

• Funny
Reactions: croman and widodh
Do all eMMCs have a finite life? Does the lifespan of the eMMC vary with eMMC size..larger eMMCs having a longer life than smaller eMMCs? So...if the Model 3 has an eMMC...the Model 3 will also have issues if its being used as actively has Model S/X MCU1s....correct?

Here is a how to guide I found: Replacing eMMC in MCU
All eMMC will wear out at some point.

Model S, X and 3 now use the same computer. It has eMMC and is used for writing. Check the video above.

Not sure what grade of memory they use now and how big it is, but the problem remains.

F1112B5A-6095-45FC-BD34-95963AF26DD5.jpeg

This is the new memory. About 12mm in size. It’s tiny!

Tesla should update their firmware so that they don't write that much data.
Absolutely they should, when it proven to be the cause of failure and is also unnecessary why would they persist?

I am sure when you sign up to work there your contract says you are not allowed to contribute to forums, would be nice to know that at least one or two of their software team read this stuff in between making Atari games in their idle time.

Last edited:
What about getting new Nvidia board and flashing the eMMC before it's corrupt? The board is not custom made but could not find such to buy. Or get a backup of the MCU? Can it be done with a workshop Toolbox access?
I'm not sure if that Nvidia board is available.

But you still have to bitcopy all the data of your existing eMMC to the new one. So you'll need to "Power Off" the car, pull the 12V fuse(s) and then remove the MCU and the eMMC from the daughtercard.

Absolutely they should, when it proven to be the cause of failure and is also unnecessary why would they persist?

I am sure when you sign up to work there your contract says you are not allowed to contribute to forums, would be nice to know that at least one or two of their software team read this stuff in between making Atari games in their idle time.
I think it's a lack of knowledge with many developers. Don't get me wrong, they are probably good developers, but having to think about wearing out hardware because they write something to a chip is something which most developers never encounter.

Reactions: hiroshiy
My screen went black and Tesla told me I needed a new MCU.
$3500.00 later it's working again. my car is 5 years old with 110000km.
how long will the new one last?
I drive a 2014 S85
Thank you
The new MCU is probably a gen1 again, so it will probably last another 5 years.

Unless Tesla stops writing to the eMMC memory.

About 2-3 weeks ago my NAV system stopped responding to voice commands while driving. When I tried to reboot, the screen remained black. I stopped, called the Tesla tech assistance line who said they could not communicate with the car, but would have a mobile tech scheduled to come out to replace the faulty unit. When I did not hear from Tesla for a couple of days, I stopped by the nearest service center.
There a tech, using was able to communicate with the car and suggested that I drive home and place the car in range of my home wifi, which I did. Over a 3-4-hour period the firmware was removed and replaced and the car was back up with all its functions.
The Tesla Svc Cntr tech had told me that he could not guarantee that fix, that it might last a few hours or a few weeks or months. In fact, about ten days later the system auto-re-booted spontaneously while I was driving. Five days later, the same thing. I now have an appointment for next Monday.

The car is a 2015 S85D with 71,000 miles and just over four years of driving. Glad I bought the extended warranty.

Reactions: hiroshiy
Not sure whether this has been discussed already, but can the contents in the eMMC be backed up and stored for future use, and then utilized when needed, which could be 5 minutes later, 5 days later or 5 years later? Or does the information therein need to be current data when writing a new eMMC? Also, I assume the data stored in each eMMC is unique to each vehicle, so one could not use a generic file.

In my younger days when personal computers were something new, people built “clone” IBM computers. The BIOS in the IBM computer is what was unique. Someone created a software program that was placed on a floppy disc. You then inserted the floppy disc into a real (genuine) IBM computer. The software program would read the contents of two EPROMS on the genuine IBM computer that contained the IBM BIOS, and then write the read contents to the floppy disc as two separate files which were then burned into new EPROMS. When the new EPROMS were inserted into the corresponding BIOS sockets on the “clone” computer, it would boot up as an IBM computer. Any possibility of creating a similar type program that can be run on a laptop connected to, say, the canbus of the Model S to read the contents of the eMMC without having to physically remove the MCU from the car and desolder the eMMC?

Also, would it be possible to install an appropriate socket on the MCU board so an eMMC can be easily installed and removed?

Thanks

Not sure whether this has been discussed already, but can the contents in the eMMC be backed up and stored for future use, and then utilized when needed, which could be 5 minutes later, 5 days later or 5 years later? Or does the information therein need to be current data when writing a new eMMC? Also, I assume the data stored in each eMMC is unique to each vehicle, so one could not use a generic file.
There is unique data in the eMMC indeed. Like the security codes to pair with the keys and other VIN related information.

Also, you will need to bitcopy the eMMC and that's not possible while the eMMC is still on the MCU and if it's running.

Also, would it be possible to install an appropriate socket on the MCU board so an eMMC can be easily installed and removed?
Yes. But it depends if there is enough space behind the MCU. But one could do that indeed.