Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Previous X owners who upgraded to Raven Model X, are you still getting acceleration shudder?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What model do you have? They told me no axel replacement for Raven X’s, only earlier ones.
July 2019 Raven Performance MX with extended 8yr / 160k km /100k mi warranty. I’d say Canadian Tesla Service centers still have the original “we actually care about your business” attitude. One point to make is in Ontario only M3 SR+ can get $5k CAD ev rebate, so it’s tuff as all other EV brands qualify for the rebate and other provinces offer even more additional EV rebates

* Federal EV rebate MSRP $55k CAD or less

My raven shudders at about 35-45 any height any acceleration strength ... height only lessens the effect. on high and lightest acceleration the car feels like its going to tear it self apart at about 35-45mph ... at 45+ mph the car auto lowers to standard and the extremely harsh shuddering drowns out into an overall coming and going vibration in the wheel and cabin... overall once I get up to 35-45+ the car has very excessive random vibrations (compared to a Model 3, Kia Soul EV, hell any car) in the wheel and at the vibrations peek it can be felt in the seat. If your paying attention enough you can detect it in the seat ever so slightly always there. but at time random vibrations can be felt and seen all throughout the cabin... even more so on fresh smooth road.. My Kia Soul EV has a smoother ride. bottles and plastic things in cup holders or in my kid's car seat cupholders throughout the vehicle rattle and tick constantly from the high frequency vibration. I look back and see the empty middle row have a slight but visible shake/vibration. After 5 visits to the SC 5 hours round trip away Telsa service says its normal... ..... 100% regret my purchase and truly believe I could trade this X for any SUV/CUV worth half this amount (which really is my only option left) and wouldn't even be talking about this or any of the other 10 issues I've had at this point. This car combined with Tesla service has utterly defeated me and my enthusiasm for Tesla and recommending them.

Yeah, we have heard this since the first 2016 Model X, that they are working on a permanent fix – it hasn't happened yet. I had this problem with my 2016 Model X and now with my 2019 Raven Model X. Low suspension reduces the problem considerably as others have observed. I think all the software suspension updates they have made recently are trying to mask the problem, by favoring low suspension hight.
I drive in low always since Sept. 2020. I have had the axles replaced 3 times, the last time it was replaced, 11/20, was because they found a leak. The other 2 times was because of the shudder. I brought my Model X Standard Range to service in November because after they replaced the axles in October, I was feeling a vibration on the steering wheel over 40 mph and stronger over 60 or when accelerating quickly. They did an alignment during the November visit, as well. I am still feeling a vibration that is more than "normal road vibration". I changed all 4 tires at 16k miles. Then Tesla just changed all the rotors, brake pads, added hubs, & did something to the suspension. The vibration is better but the vibration is still more than norma road noise. I have a 2016 Jeep Wrangler, I do not feel a vibration like the one in my Tesla on my Jeep. After the last appointment they listed everything as a "Goodwill-service" to "restore confidence". I do not feel my confidence is restored when the service manager said it would be covered under warranty. Nor do I feel my confidence was restored when they wrote up the invoice stating they were not able to replicate the vibration. Even after I took a test drive with a 2 technicians who both drove my car and admitted to feeling the vibration. Very frustrated. Why do all that work for free if they didn't feel the vibration either?

Reactions: CharlieInNEK
2017 90X what are the best height settings for around town short stop and goes and are they the same for say over 60 highway miles averaging 70mph interstate rolling hills type driving. Why? Thanks in advance

Sadly, I am still getting a bit of shudder in my new X. I haven't done a lot of testing, and I did opt for the long range, vs. the Performance that I had with my 2016 Model X. But I have noticed that under acceleration both from a stop, and at speed and stepping on it to pass, there is some vibration. Be curious to hear what others are seeing, and I will try to do more precise testing.
Yes, however when I've checked it several times it doesn't seem to lower at 45mph anymore. Not sure when it decides, but even at 65 I've found it to still be at standard, so I don't think that's it, but it's possible.

1. The hood is stiffer and feels much more solid and easy to close.
  2. The shiny seat backs are replaced with a much better material that doesn’t look bad after two days.
  3. The falcon door interior open close button has been replaced, the previous one confused every passenger.
  4. The interior metal trim around the screen and other areas is now dark grey instead of chrome, so much better
The more obvious major changes from 2016:

1. Much more range with new more efficient drive train and larger battery
  2. All the new cameras
  3. Faster MCU computer
  4. New HW3 Tesla video processing AI for "Full Self Driving"
  5. New software updatable adaptive suspension

Still annoying:
  • Head rests don't go high enough and stick out and can dig into your neck in some cases.
  • Falcon doors are undeniable attention getting, and were a great marketing decision for Tesla, and they're certainly sexy, however there's only a handful of relatively rare cases where they're actually more useful than a "regular" door, and quite a few cases where they're slow or problematic. Not bad, but if I had the choice, I'd probably opt not to have them.

Worse:
  • Whoever thought getting rid of the rain sensor and just using the camera... I'm not going to say they should be fired, that's too much, but they should be personally overseeing the struggle to get this to work halfway decently. The auto wipers and high beams are definitely still inferior to 2016.
I’m considering trading in my Signature X P90D for a LR.

It’s in the SC for almost three weeks due to a rear drive unit failure: the motor must be replaced. That, and the front fore link fracturing have left me bricked on the road twice. So, I’m wondering about reliability going forward especially after the 8-year power train warranty expires. But, for all its quirks, I love it.

I hope the ‘22 refresh doesn’t put Model X owners back into prototype territory, like the early X’s did. Mine had more than the expected problems with air suspension, fore-link, computer, front CV joints (shudder), and now rear drive unit. 30,000 miles.

May I ask why you (and anyone else) bought a new X after your ‘16 P90D, and are you glad you did? Certainly improved range, middle seats that actually fold like in a real SUV, elimination of many of the early-adopter bugs, etc. are weighing in favor of a change for me.

I guess you don’t yet have the “Yoke” steering wheel. That’s definitely a negative feature IMHO. Another great idea from Elon: like the bait-and-switch non-folding “sculptural seats” in the middle row. I waited 2 ½ years for my X and wasn’t waiting another just to get finding middle row seats.

Your thoughts will be helpful and appreciated. I don’t want to go back to an ICE or hybrid SUV, so it’s a new X or hold my breath with the present one every time I’m on the road.

I just kept my SigX going. It's still incredibly sweet. I have no problem setting aside a few percent of the purchase price every year toward keeping it running. And the shudder issue has finally been resolved for pre-Raven X's. I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope I don't have a drive unit failure. Or if I do, I hope it happens before 2024.. 🙂