Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price and Model changes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I see the price of the Model X has dropped and now there isn't a standard range version. There's only long range and performance versions available. I'm guessing a new battery will be coming out soon as they still have the standard version of the S.

• Disagree
Reactions: CyberShy
Anyone else notice that much of EAP has now moved over to FSD? Things like auto-park and Nav on AP... Tesla had better not take those away from those of us who bought with EAP when those features were part of EAP...

Jeff
This has been discussed extensively in other sub forums like model 3. Yes they moved some features from EAP to FSD and the new one is just called AP (not enhanced). EM tweeted that EAP owners get grandfathered in for summon/nav on ap/autopark . Nothing is being taken away.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: TexasRat and PrGrPa
I don’t know when it was...maybe before the earnings call? But the FSD option disappeared from the off-menu page for a few hours and then came back. I figured that maybe we were in for another price raise on that feature (non-existent though it is). I thought I’d take a flyer and plunk down my $5K to lock in an upgrade to HW3 and maybe some FSD features in the future.

Glad I did! Would save me $2,000 if I had tried to buy the FSD from today forward. But admittedly, the EAP features are all that exist for now. It’s just a gamble. :)

I don’t know when it was...maybe before the earnings call? But the FSD option disappeared from the off-menu page for a few hours and then came back. I figured that maybe we were in for another price raise on that feature (non-existent though it is). I thought I’d take a flyer and plunk down my $5K to lock in an upgrade to HW3 and maybe some FSD features in the future.

Glad I did! Would save me $2,000 if I had tried to buy the FSD from today forward. But admittedly, the EAP features are all that exist for now. It’s just a gamble. :)

My tesla account still shows I can upgrade to FSD for $5000 today.

Reactions: srharris22
3CB527E7-56BF-4EBC-ACEF-4A1405087BF0.jpeg
Same here in our X but my 3 shows this...I didn’t get EAP in it

quick clarification - is the price of FSD supposed to increase from the current $5K or decrease?

Liking the way the new AP and FSD options are described and priced. Well, mostly. Configuring a new model X I’d like to buy in the UK now looks about £100 cheaper per month than last I looked with everything but winter wheels: 7 seats, PUP, AP, FSD.

I remain skeptical of the promises for FSD but the relative pricing of AP and FSD seems OK. That said, £2,900 for AP which seems like adaptive cruise control even with excellent keep-in-lane technology is perhaps on the high side. £4,900 for the old part-delivered, part-promised EAP features + whatever comes next seems like a fair deal. Particularly when I look at my model S account and upgrading from EAP to FSD is £4,700. Which, if EAP still delivers what’s yet anticipated, is a high post-sale price for recognising lights and the lure of robot-driving. Makes me wonder if I should’ve sprung for FSD at the outset. Time will tell...

The new split between AP and FSD is good as it allows a cheaper buy-in for the AP features. It would be better if they moved basic parallel/perpendicular parking to the AP feature. A lot of other cars offer that capability and it's a far cry from an autonomous feature set. This would split it between "standard industry skill automation helpers" and "varying degrees of autonomous capabilities".

Also, they list an advanced parking lot Summon feature under FSD, but don't really mention the basic "inch forward/backward" Summon feature that we've already had. That would also be a good fit for AP, though - again as it is a supervised feature with a very restricted capability.

Reactions: PrGrPa
So did this just kill used prices?

Yes.

This will likely result in an across-the-board 15% decrease in re-sale value. I'm estimating the combined loss from our 2017 S 100D and 2018 X 100D was around $25K this week (about 2/3 of what it would cost to buy a $35K Model 3!).

And while Tesla is offering 1/2 price upgrades for those owners who haven't already purchased EAP or FSD, we have EAP & FSD on both of our cars, and all they are offering is an invitation to join the Early Access Program.

Once the dust settles and Tesla see the frustration by current (especially recent) customers, wouldn't be surprised to see Tesla do more for their current customers, and protect their customer loyalty.

There’s been too many changes in too short a period (changes to PUP, removal of 75 and price restructure, yet more changes to lineup and EAP restructure with more price changes). Totally uncoordinated - they should have made all changes one and done. It’s leaving a sour taste in many customers mouths. How can there be any certainty on frequency of changes and price drops going forward - this will weigh on the minds of potential future customers.

There is a similar thread on the other Tesla forum. I browse that site but frankly it’s a very toxic place with some pretty nasty characters who have formed a gang and berate and belittle people who have complaints or concerns about a Tesla.

Their view is that people should suck it up - you can’t compare an EV sales model to ICE cars. In my opinion that is the view of a minority of Tesla fanboys who can’t ever see fault in anything that Tesla does. Tesla will soon have viable competition from mainstream manufacturers whether they believe it or not. Porsche announcing the Macan line going 100% electric is proof of their intent. And you can be sure that these traditional manufacturers aren’t going to be restructuring and reducing the market value of their cars every few months. They understand about protecting their existing customer base.

‘They understand about protecting their existing customer base.”

When I bought my first S autopilot was not available. Months later, they released a software update and suddenly my car had autopilot. My car was at feature parity with new cars.

If I had bought a Porsche, they would have release autopîlot to new cars, and I would have not benefitted from it.

Repeat for many other new features.

So no, Porsche does not do this. I get that you want to protect the value of your car, I do too, but the savior is not going to be the traditional car manufacturers who used crappy selling techniques for decades.

You do know that updating gps maps cost >$500 on a Porsche, right ?
Navigation/Map software updates? - Porsche Macan Forum

• Love
Reactions: dogldogl
‘They understand about protecting their existing customer base.”

When I bought my first S autopilot was not available. Months later, they released a software update and suddenly my car had autopilot. My car was at feature parity with new cars.

If I had bought a Porsche, they would have release autopîlot to new cars, and I would have not benefitted from it.

Repeat for many other new features.

So no, Porsche does not do this. I get that you want to protect the value of your car, I do too, but the savior is not going to be the traditional car manufacturers who used crappy selling techniques for decades.

You do know that updating gps maps cost >$500 on a Porsche, right ?
Navigation/Map software updates? - Porsche Macan Forum

They are most likely going to copy the Tesla model and introduce over the air software feature updates.

I agree Tesla has pioneered this model and its great getting new features, however the past few months of continuous model line and package restructuring has been done incredibly poorly - that is the point I am trying to get across. Tesla wants to become a mainstream manufacturer, and like it or not the general masses out there have expectations of car buying and ownership experience. What Tesla has been doing will not resonate with them. It might do to the minority who want an EV and Tesla above all other considerations. But that minority is not going to get Tesla the mainstream adoption they want.

Lets see what happens when the mainstream manufacturers come online. Dismissing them as not capable of transforming their model is very short sighted - look at history in tech, most recently the collapse of BlackBerry at the hands of Apple. Both the company and the loyal fan base who clung on to the sinking ship would not accept that any other platform could challenge BB.

I love my Tesla - don't get me wrong, and today there is no other choice. But with what they have done in the 6 months that I have owned the car - next time round if there is a credible alternative I would think long and hard before supporting Tesla again.

Reactions: SuitNtie
IMHO they will only copy Tesla as long as Tesla is a threat. Then if they put them out of business somehow, they will go back to charging 500 for map updates or any new feature.

Decades of screwing people, not even able to see that electric was a great option by themselves (or worse, purposely not doing it), we have hundreds of things we all hated with car manufacturers, Tesla changed all of this by themselves, and now others are just following because they are scared. I have no trust that they can themselves make things better.

My Tesla / Tesla has a lot of issues, but for me they care about their customers much much more than other manufacturers. At least now, I can see this changing after selling million shares of cars (if it happens)

Reactions: rocketdallas