Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price Check: Used 2017 Model S 100D, FSD, 100k miles, PuP for $57,000

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi I'm eyeing this car. Is an older, high mileage, luxury car a dumb decision? Most of them are, and idk if Teslas are immune.

> has a small dent and curb rash

here is the VIN info from EV-CPO

Accessories

ADPX2 Adapter
CPF1 Connectivity
FG02 Exterior Lighting Package
LP01 Premium Interior Lighting
ME02 Memory Seats
PI01 Premium Upgrades Package
PS01 Parcel Shelf
TP03 Power and Lighting Package
USSB US safety kit - black
X001 Override: Power Liftgate
X007 Daytime running lights
X021 No spoiler or passive spoiler
X037 Powerfolding Mirrors

Audio

AU01 Ultra High Fidelity Sound

Autopilot

APF2 Full Self-Driving Capability
APH2 Autopilot Hardware 2.0
APPF Full Self-Driving Capability

Battery

BTX6 100 kWh

Brakes

BCMB Black Brake Calipers

Charging

CH05 48amp charger
HC00 No Home Charging Installation
SC04 Pay Per Use Supercharging

Color

PBSB Black Solid
Color (Contd)

WR01 Wrap WR01

Decor

IDCF Carbon Fiber

Drive

DV4W All-Wheel Drive

Filter

AF02 HEPA Filter

Firmware

BR00 No firmware limit

Interior Options

DSH7 Black Alcantara Dashboard Accents
FR04 FR04
IX01 Extended Nappa Leather Trim
LT3B Lower Trim
SR01 Standard 2nd row
TR00 No Third Row Seat
UTAB Black Alcantara Headliner
X027 Lighted Door Handles
YFFC Integrated Center Console

Interior+Seats

INBPB Black Premium
QTPB Black Tesla Premium Seats

Model

BS00 NOBULL00
DCF0 DCF0
DRLH Left Hand Drive
GLFR GLFR
Model (Contd)

MDLS Model S
MI01 Facelift MI01
MT10A 100D Long Range
ZCST $ZCST

New

TD00 $TD00

Performance

BP00 No Ludicrous
PF00 No Performance Legacy Package
PX00 No Performance Plus Package
X025 No Performance Package

Region

COUS COUNTRY US
RENA Region : North America

Roof

RFP2 All Glass Panoramic Roof v2

Suspension

SU00 Standard Suspension

Technology

PK00 LEGACY No Parking Sensors
SP00 No Security Package
X003 Maps & Navigation
X011 Override: Homelink
X013 Override: Satellite Radio
X031 Keyless Entry
X040 No DAB Radio
X044 Phone Dock Kit

Trim

TM00 General Production Trim
Trim (Contd)

X028 Battery Badge

Weather

CW00 No Cold Weather Package

Wheels+Tires

TIC6 TIC6
WTSG 21-Turbine Grey

Option codes supplied by
EV-CPO.com

Question: it says Standard Suspension. Does that mean it does not have air suspension? I expected it to be standard at that point in time.

Thanks in advance!

I have a late 2017 MS with 70,000 miles on it. Knock on wood, no major issues. I would ask if it has MCU2, guessing not. There were some issues with the eMMC board and the older MCU is a lot slower to render maps. You can upgrade for $2k or so, it’s been awhile so you’d have to check price and availability. That also used to include upgrading the AP hardware to 3.0. I had that done. I like the pano roof and I have a bad back and didn’t want to get the seats in the 2020 version, so I bought out my lease vs trade up for a newer one. In your case though, a MY would be appealing provided it meets your needs. Can’t answer the suspension question.

Is there a reason you want the S over a 3/Y?

At that mileage, age, and price point, I'd strongly advise a 3/Y over an S.

That "old" of an S is missing out on many of the more modern features, like MCU2, range, charging speed, revised air suspension, and the latest software updates.

Reactions: GeoG
That price does seem quite high for 100k miles and not a P100D.
This car does not have the air suspension.
You could upgrade to MCU2 for $1,500 and get many current software features and latest firmware version, but that really doesn't make up for the other "cons" on this car.
At 100k miles, you can't get any more warranty from Tesla, although one might be available from X-Care, but it would be expensive.

The older Model Ss are still great cars, so no reason to stop looking at cars this age (or older).

I have a 2014 P85D with AP1 and MCU2 and it still is really awesome to drive every single day. I'd love to get a MS Plaid, but this car still kicks the donkey's ass, so why upgrade? (Note: I upgraded the 85kWh battery to a 100kWh battery so now it's really a P100D!)

But for $57k, you can do a lot better.

Is there a reason you want the S over a 3/Y?

At that mileage, age, and price point, I'd strongly advise a 3/Y over an S.

That "old" of an S is missing out on many of the more modern features, like MCU2, range, charging speed, revised air suspension, and the latest software updates.
Revised air suspension? I guess coils is the new "revised" smart air suspension, huh?

I will never understand the 3/Y evangelists who show up in nearly every used S conversation to convert people.

They are two completely different experiences.

Every. Single. Time. I drive a 3/Y thinking this will be the time I finally feel the hype from these people I'm immediately reminded of why I don't own one. It's like telling people a new Dodge Neon is better than a 3-year-old BMW M5 because... New.

There's SO much that separates these vehicles other than year of production & the few pros of a new Y don't outweigh the cons of what you're giving up in an S especially for those who rarely or never use Supercharging which is most owners.

If you find the lesser (by price) 3/Y a better fit for your needs, perfect. Please stop trying to convince everyone else though that a flagship vehicle that represents the crowning achievement & showcase of what's possible from such a forward thinking company is somehow worse than a vehicle that was literally designed & built with a singular goal in mind at every step: build it cheap.

OP buy a used S if it fits your needs & be happy. Just because there's more outspoken 3/Y owners doesn't mean the right decision for them also represents the best decision for you.

I encourage to take nobody's advice as gospel, including mine. Research what's best for you the enjoy your new car, even if it's only "new" to you.

Reactions: EV-CPO
That price does seem quite high for 100k miles and not a P100D.
This car does not have the air suspension.
You could upgrade to MCU2 for $1,500 and get many current software features and latest firmware version, but that really doesn't make up for the other "cons" on this car.
At 100k miles, you can't get any more warranty from Tesla, although one might be available from X-Care, but it would be expensive.

The older Model Ss are still great cars, so no reason to stop looking at cars this age (or older).

I have a 2014 P85D with AP1 and MCU2 and it still is really awesome to drive every single day. I'd love to get a MS Plaid, but this car still kicks the donkey's ass, so why upgrade? (Note: I upgraded the 85kWh battery to a 100kWh battery so now it's really a P100D!)

By and large I agree with this statement. 100,000 mi and lack of a few options would make this one a no-go for me personally. In this crazy time it's not a terrible deal and represents a lower price on similar vehicles I've seen as of late but it's not good enough that would make me want to jump on it. Kind of depends on the situation that you're in though also. If you have the luxury of remaining on the sideline to wait for something better to come along, it most likely will.

Reactions: EV-CPO
Revised air suspension? I guess coils is the new "revised" smart air suspension, huh?

I will never understand the 3/Y evangelists who show up in nearly every used S conversation to convert people.

Every. Single. Time. I drive a 3/Y thinking this will be the time I finally feel the hype from these people I'm immediately reminded of why I don't own one. It's like telling people a new Dodge Neon is better than a 3-year-old BMW M5 because... New.

There's SO much that separates these vehicles other than year of production & the few pros of a new Y don't outweigh the cons of what you're giving up in an S especially for those who rarely or never use Supercharging which is most owners.

If you find the lesser (by price) 3/Y a better fit for your needs, perfect. Please stop trying to convince everyone else though that a flagship vehicle that represents the crowning achievement & showcase of what's possible from such a forward thinking company is somehow worse than a vehicle that was literally designed & built with a singular goal in mind at every step: build it cheap.

OP buy a used S if it fits your needs & be happy. Just because there's more outspoken 3/Y owners doesn't mean the right decision for them also represents the best decision for you.

I encourage to take nobody's advice as gospel, including mine. Research what's best for you the enjoy your new car, even if it's only "new" to you.
Perhaps I could have been more clear - the revised air suspension versus a newer (Raven) Model S.

People often go for older S because it fits their price point and they want the "flagship" car, without understanding what they may be giving up versus a newer S or 3/Y. Which is why people show up not necessarily trying to "convert" them, but alert them that there are notable differences, and possibly deficiencies, based on their use case.

I went from a Y to a "legacy" Raven S, and even before the refresh came out, there were some major changes that I wasn't fully cognizant of that I miss from my Y - phone key, 250 kW charging, latest/greatest software updates - so I try to make people aware of that.

Hence why I asked OP if they had a specific reason to get the S over a 3/Y.

No need to take it so personally.

Perhaps I could have been more clear - the revised air suspension versus a newer (Raven) Model S.

There are three suspensions for the Model S:

Coils
Smart Air Suspension (or just Air Suspension)
Adaptive Suspension (from Raven)

edit: I'm not including the Performance Plus (P+) suspension here since that is something entirely different and only appeared on P85+ and P85D.

Reactions: sparklehunt
I read all the advice. I love to hear all these valid points from both sides.

I'm leaning away now that it doesn't have air suspension, which imo is one of the major reasons to go with S/X over 3/Y.

Just to share, personally I was expecting quieter cabin (from double paned glass? better coverage noise insulation?), more space for camping, 100kWh battery is good for camping too. That is pretty much it for me, though I have never owned an S and that's why I'm asking for advice.

Can you share some specific examples of what separates them from your experience?

I thought that with FSD, they upgrade the computer for you free? Or is the 'MCU2' different than the 'FSD computer'?

What are some examples of software features? Like sentry mode? etc.

I think I'll look for a Y for camping then. But by the time prices get reasonable, I might have a Cybertruck already...

Reactions: fetar30310
I thought that with FSD, they upgrade the computer for you free? Or is the 'MCU2' different than the 'FSD computer'?

That's right, they are different. AP2/3 can run fine with MCU1, but you get less visualizations and a degraded user experience. The FSD upgrade is from the AP2/2.5 computer to AP3 computer. The MCU is just the main screen and controls all non-driving/non-critical functions.

What are some examples of software features? Like sentry mode? etc.

Yeah, sentry mode for starters. No Netflix/Youtube or other "toybox" apps and video games. Also, MCU1 is SUPER SLOW in drawing the nav map tiles. Some people think the main MCU1 UI is laggy/slow, but I personally never saw that. But I'm very happy I upgraded mainly due to the slow nav redraws.