Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price Drop/Delivery Push

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We purchased our M3 in San Diego on January 30th and received a text the next morning that our car would be delivered to our home on Feb 1st. Stoked!!

However, by that afternoon Tesla was pushing us to take delivery that same day, on the 31st.

It was pretty apparent they were trying to make some January numbers and despite a hectic day we decided to rearrange our schedules to make the delivery at 7pm. We believe in the Tesla vision and did want to help them make numbers if that's what they were looking for.

A few days later we see the price drop, which, is exciting. We're all about getting EV's into the hands of more people. On the flip side, it did feel weird that our delivery was pushed hard on us after learning of the price change.

To date, they've refused to adjust the price of the car (which isn't super surprising). As a plan B, we asked for a service center credit or super charger credit. But, so far, no response to any of our requests.

We love our car and feel really good about investing in Tesla, its ideas, and future progress. But this situation leaves a bad taste. And when people ask about our car, this is one of the first things we mention. Not out of spite, but because it's a point of real frustration.

I'm curious if I'm maybe I'm reaching out to the wrong people at Tesla? Anyone have recommendations?

TIA

A few days later we see the price drop, which, is exciting. We're all about getting EV's into the hands of more people. On the flip side, it did feel weird that our delivery was pushed hard on us after learning of the price change.

I'm in the same boat as you - price dropped six days after I took delivery. I reached out to customer server as well as my delivery advisor and they said I was SOL.

I suppose for those that were in the three-day return window, you could have threatened to return it.

Also just like you - I love the car and Tesla, etc. Just wished they could a thrown me something to wash out the bad taste.

I'm in the same boat as you - price dropped six days after I took delivery. I reached out to customer server as well as my delivery advisor and they said I was SOL.

I suppose for those that were in the three-day return window, you could have threatened to return it.

Also just like you - I love the car and Tesla, etc. Just wished they could a thrown me something to wash out the bad taste.

Sorry to hear you've had the same experience

I doubt if the field knew that the price drop was coming. It probably surprised them as much as everyone else. I believe that you had the 3 day return policy, but too late now. Sorry, cookies crumble.

Agreed. People down the chain aren't to be blamed at all. But it did seem weird that a car would be delivered by a grumpy employee at 7pm. Now we know why.

We test drove before we purchased so I believe the return wasn't applicable to us.

Goes to show, even well intentioned businesses are still businesses...and to not be trusted completely.

Also, not sure why more people aren't talking about this?

Tesla has a policy, where the price you contract on the day you order is the price you will pay.

If the price goes up after you order, you still get your contracted price.
If the price goes down after you order, you still get your contracted price.

Same with legacy car dealerships. If you agree to pay a price for your car, that is what you get. If the guy coming in after you negotiates a better price, you do not get a refund because they are now selling them cheaper.

I understand the frustration, but don't know any way to make it more fair when the price goes up or down.

Reactions: BryanMiller
Tesla has a policy, where the price you contract on the day you order is the price you will pay.

Same with legacy car dealerships. If you agree to pay a price for your car, that is what you get. If the guy coming in after you negotiates a better price, you do not get a refund because they are now selling them cheaper.

I understand the frustration, but don't know any way to make it more fair when the price goes up or down.

Good point about the negotiation, and very accurate. This isn't a regular car purchase, like a TV or a Chromecast.

Maybe a long shot, but if you happened to put the deposit on a credit card that offers purchase price protection you could try to file a claim. I'm sure they would try to deny the claim and most limits are $200-500, but at least it is something.

Totally get you're all saying...but this isn't really about the money. What I'm saying is, if you're publicly going to reduce the price, be prepared to handle the customer service better.

Going into our purchase we had the thought that Tesla was creating this amazing experience. They deliver the car to your home. The buying experience is direct to the manufacturer instead of dealerships. The product is by far the most forward thinking on the market. On and on...

But after being in it for just a few days, suddenly we're looking at a really aggravating experience. Instead of a proactive approach to those who would have obvious questions, no one has answers and it leaves . And that worries me as we keep cars for a very long time.
But but but... I am entitled to a refund of the price difference...

Completely missing the point

Maybe a long shot, but if you happened to put the deposit on a credit card that offers purchase price protection you could try to file a claim. I'm sure they would try to deny the claim and most limits are $200-500, but at least it is something.

It’s not really about the $ for us. It’s about how they’re handling the situation and it concerns me over the long haul of owning.

Reactions: neroden
It’s not really about the $ for us. It’s about how they’re handling the situation and it concerns me over the long haul of owning.

How do you want them to handle it? You said "As a plan B, we asked for a service center credit or super charger credit.". It does sound the only resolution that would make you happy is some money back.

I had a model S since 2014 and now a model 3. The price has dropped on both I'm sure. I'm not really watching though.

This is a classic case of how Teslas direct sales bites them in the a$$. Most auto companies don't advertise the actual price of the vehicle, they advertise MSRP and then use hidden rebates to adjust based on demand. It helps hide the fact that the cost of the car over a year is all over the place and has the extra advantage of making a gullible consumer feel like they got a deal because they didn't pay sticker price (not directed at anyone). At least Tesla is up front about what it costs to purchase their vehicle.

I agree that if there was a known push to get you in your car before the price drop that is pretty malicious of Tesla. I don't think anyone here can tell if that was the case or not though.

This is a classic case of how Teslas direct sales bites them in the a$$. Most auto companies don't advertise the actual price of the vehicle, they advertise MSRP and then use hidden rebates to adjust based on demand. It helps hide the fact that the cost of the car over a year is all over the place and has the extra advantage of making a gullible consumer feel like they got a deal because they didn't pay sticker price (not directed at anyone). At least Tesla is up front about what it costs to purchase their vehicle.

I agree that if there was a known push to get you in your car before the price drop that is pretty malicious of Tesla. I don't think anyone here can tell if that was the case or not though.

This! This is exactly correct. If OP bought at a Chevy dealer, the person right after them could have paid $1,000 for absolutely no reason at all and OP would be no wiser.

This is the downfall of this sales model. I get how OP feels, I’d feel the same way. BUT, at least you got what you paid for when you paid for it unlike at a normal dealer where you would potentially be paying more than the person that bought a car 2 minutes after you.