Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price drop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is ridiculous, with all the early manufacturing issues and price drop after 3 weeks of delivery, I will never, never, nerved to buy any Tesla new models in the first year in the future!!!

yes, no manufacturers will give you refund after price drop, but also there are no other manufacturers drop MSRP only after 3 months of the release.

Actually they all do it. But its hidden from you because the MSRP doesn't change, they randomly do dealer and customer incentives. Tesla doesn't hide behind a dealer and fudge numbers, so all customers see the price changes, instead of having to haggle to get it.

Tesla also tried to not do weird model years, and instead just do the year the vehicle was built. But they ended up finding customers wouldn't buy a 2019 vehicle near end of the year, so they had to adjust the year listed on the vehicle to be ahead by a few months.

Completed purchase with LR/FSD/ Hitch . I have an appointment to take delivery on July 25th in Atlanta at the service center (400 miles away). Any possibility they may give a credit of 2-3k? Paid 7k for the FSD option that is now 8k. I’m fine one way or another but the extra cash could help reduce the tax burden.

If you have a VIN assigned but no delivery date, do you have to cancel and re-enter Y order to get the new price, or will they reduce it?

It does not appear it will automatically reduce. Since I was not able to ‘Edit Design’, my advisor told me they can do it on their backend and it will be updated by Wed the latest. I basically had to email them for the request. I think you can also do it via Chat. I do not have a VIN but I don’t that should matter until delivery date.

This thread is deja vu for the model 3 crew.

If you are within the return window then you can return it.

if you haven’t picked it up yet they will do an adjustment if you ask

If you are past the return window, you are SOL

keep in mind, typical dealers do this all the time. However they keep MSRP the same and play with incentives from month to month. It’s more hidden an apparently keeps people happier?

Same here. Took delivery Thursday. I feel like if you haven't taken delivery or are within the 7 day grace, they should honor the price decrease. This bites. Really contemplating returning it. It was no perfect vehicle by any means.
Although i did order Tesla solar right after the price drop and increase in capacity. You win some, you lose some, I guess.
I ordered solar too but for people who were already in process, if you called they reduced your price a bit below the new price to,give you the same cost per watt as the new panels.

This thread is deja vu for the model 3 crew.

If you are within the return window then you can return it.

if you haven’t picked it up yet they will do an adjustment if you ask

If you are past the return window, you are SOL

keep in mind, typical dealers do this all the time. However they keep MSRP the same and play with incentives from month to month. It’s more hidden an apparently keeps people happier?
Exactly,

ICE vehicles and their dealerships can vary from week to week and go from 0 discount to 4k off depending on model and demand etc...

Tesla is just under a microscope all the time so they get positive/negative feedback immediately and the buyers are more internet savvy.

I also agree with the points made by @1.21GW and @Young Phenom manufacturers manipulate pricing via incentives, interest rates, free option package adds all of the time. Dealers move pricing seasonally and end of month, quarter, year. Each deal at a traditional dealer is also somewhat bespoke (within reason) during the price negotiation. I understand the disappointment however price changes are not unique to Tesla the only difference is they modify MSRP rather offer other incentives.

This is ridiculous, with all the early manufacturing issues and price drop after 3 weeks of delivery, I will never, never, nerved to buy any Tesla new models in the first year in the future!!!

yes, no manufacturers will give you refund after price drop, but also there are no other manufacturers drop MSRP only after 3 months of the release.
Check the Model 3 thread after a price drop. Someone else said the same thing. We will have the same said after cybertruck price drop.

Last edited:
I know everyone wants the money back but I am not aware of any other car company that will give you a cheaper price a day after you bought the car.

I am not aware of any manufacturer regularly doing it today but back in the early 1990s, Chrysler had something called the "Guaranteed Rebate" where if during the model year the rebate on a car you purchased increased you would get a check in the mail for the difference e.g., if you bought a car in May when it had a $1,000 rebate but it eventually increased to $1,500, you would get a check for the additional $500.

Also, as I mentioned in my last post, Tesla did give $5k refunds to existing owners after making PUP standard on the M3 Performance fairly soon after its release.

Consider it like a $3k rebate. While MSRPs typically don't decrease during a model year, rebates come and go and it wouldn't be too unusual to see a car at the MY's price point start with little or no rebate and then get a $2k or $3k rebate a few months later.