TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Primer Coat Color - Based Upon Chosen Color - Variances?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by ArtInCT, Dec 18, 2015.

1. ArtInCT

ArtInCT Always Learning

Sep 2, 2014
    Southern Connecticut
    #1 ArtInCT, Dec 18, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
    My S has been ordered in the Midnight Silver Metallic also early on known as the "New Grey".
    I was just wondering what the Primer Coat color of the paint was?
    If anyone has an S in this or any other color.... when the unfortunate paint chip occurs.. what color is the undercoat that shows?

I once had a black car that had the lightest white-grey primer coat color so chips really did show up...

Does Tesla use the same primer coat color under all paints? Or is the primer rather specific in color based upon the final hue?

If you can post a photo to show the undercoat such as MAX* has done below, that would be swell! (Thanks MAX*!)
  2. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

Apr 8, 2015
    White, maybe grey.

That's not a surface scratch, even though it looks like it in the photo. That's a rock chip, and it's deep.
  3. Jdeck

Jdeck Member

Dec 19, 2015
    I have the midnight silver color as well. I opticoated mine from head to tail a few days after delivery then about two weeks later I noticed two rock chips on the hood that are white like the post above and completely stick out. I took it in to get Xpel wrapped in the entire front within a few days.

I knew the opticoat wasn't going to protect against rock chips just didn't know they would bother me so much until I got a few. I've been into the detailed shop around here three times and each time they were wrapping a tesla, one in full body flat black.
  4. DrDave

DrDave Member

Jan 22, 2012
    The Pearl and Base White have a white primer, all other colors are a medium/dark gray prime. Signature Red used to have a red prime on the Model S, but no longer.
  5. cab

cab Member

Sep 5, 2013
    Grapevine, TX
    I totally recommend the dr. colorchip products for chips on darker cars for this very reason. The chips don't generally get filled very well, BUT simply changing the color of the indentation from white/gray primer to the paint color makes all the difference in the world. The chip basically "disappears" at a casual glance from normal viewing distances. Well worth it and anyone can do it.