Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Primer Coat Color - Based Upon Chosen Color - Variances?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My S has been ordered in the Midnight Silver Metallic also early on known as the "New Grey".
I was just wondering what the Primer Coat color of the paint was?
If anyone has an S in this or any other color.... when the unfortunate paint chip occurs.. what color is the undercoat that shows?

I once had a black car that had the lightest white-grey primer coat color so chips really did show up...

Does Tesla use the same primer coat color under all paints? Or is the primer rather specific in color based upon the final hue?

If you can post a photo to show the undercoat such as MAX* has done below, that would be swell! (Thanks MAX*!)

Last edited:
If anyone has an S in this or any other color.... when the unfortunate paint chip occurs.. what color is the undercoat that shows?

White, maybe grey.

20150629_164343.jpg

That's not a surface scratch, even though it looks like it in the photo. That's a rock chip, and it's deep.

I have the midnight silver color as well. I opticoated mine from head to tail a few days after delivery then about two weeks later I noticed two rock chips on the hood that are white like the post above and completely stick out. I took it in to get Xpel wrapped in the entire front within a few days.

I knew the opticoat wasn't going to protect against rock chips just didn't know they would bother me so much until I got a few. I've been into the detailed shop around here three times and each time they were wrapping a tesla, one in full body flat black.

I totally recommend the dr. colorchip products for chips on darker cars for this very reason. The chips don't generally get filled very well, BUT simply changing the color of the indentation from white/gray primer to the paint color makes all the difference in the world. The chip basically "disappears" at a casual glance from normal viewing distances. Well worth it and anyone can do it.