Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Proactively replacing RDU/LDU

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NV Ray

Sep 7, 2020
I've decided to proactively have my RDU/LDU replaced on my 2012 P85 with Tesla's newest "U" seal delete manifold version. Having it done by the Portland Tesla Service Center, so no state sales tax.

No major issues with my current RDU?LDU - no alerts. Spaceship sound upon acceleration. Little coolant leak detected in speed sensor and coolant on end of finger after placing in speed sensor hole opening.
422580649_10231545036504890_4361064350527415768_n.jpg422570021_10231545036864899_8498714795814248304_n.jpg422586540_10231545037264909_7400517306544771774_n.jpg
First two pics are from my old RDU, second two pics are regarding the new RDU.422667782_10231545037464914_5095585864880706757_n.jpg

Reactions: brainhouston
Thanks for sharing. Our first DU make the whole whirring noise starting around 60K miles and eventually has a coolant intrusion failure at 92K miles. It was replaced under warranty in December 2019 with a "Q" revision. 35K miles later and I'm thinking about pulling the speed sensor to check for coolant soon.

Reactions: NV Ray
Final update on RDU/LDU replacement on my 2012 P85. Picked up car yesterday from Portland, OR Tesla Service Center (TSC). Took about 4 hours to remove/replace after waiting 5 days in the repair queue. Great service with this TSC - loaner M3P provided and got to keep my old RDU/LDU without a core charge.

No noticable performance difference between old and new. Watts/mile the same as before. Spaceship sound upon acceleration and stopping as depicted in the attached video is gone. Now quiet as a mouse. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jcCxnqejUg...

Yep, I have the same sound. It's driving me up the wall. It's even worse outside the car.
For me, I lived with the sound for over a year after buying my 2012 P85 from original owner.

Although the sound itself is probably something endemic with older, stainless steel bearing RDU/LDUs and not a showstopper (until any alerts), the tipping point for me to replace was: (1) coolant detection in speed sensor and in hole where speed sensor was removed, (2) recent release of Tesla's newest "U" seal delete manifold version, supposedly designed to mitigate coolant leakage, (3) ability to save on sales tax by having work done in Oregon, and (4) ability to keep old drive unit and get money back by selling it. The latter two saved about $2k.

(4) ability to keep old drive unit and get money back by selling it.
I think it's great you have the ambition of selling your old DU.

From reading your post, I too have decided to proactively replace the LDU. Dropped the car off this morning. Thankfully they were able to put me in a 3P loaner while I wait.

(off topic) I was going to take advantage of the current promos (FUSC and FSD transfers, $1000 CT early res discount) for a 2024 3 LR, but the LDU replacement was still the best use of my $$ for my use case. Maybe when the the Highland 3P comes out andthe stars are alligned (becomes a discounted inventory car, eligible for loyalty credits/discounts, and promos listed above come back) then I'll consider selling the old timer. Fingers crossed the battery lasts longer than that timeframe.

I think it's great you have the ambition of selling your old DU.

From reading your post, I too have decided to proactively replace the LDU. Dropped the car off this morning. Thankfully they were able to put me in a 3P loaner while I wait.

(off topic) I was going to take advantage of the current promos (FUSC and FSD transfers, $1000 CT early res discount) for a 2024 3 LR, but the LDU replacement was still the best use of my $$ for my use case. Maybe when the the Highland 3P comes out andthe stars are alligned (becomes a discounted inventory car, eligible for loyalty credits/discounts, and promos listed above come back) then I'll consider selling the old timer. Fingers crossed the battery lasts longer than that timeframe.
You're right, Tesla's current transfer programs are enticing. For me, and my personal transportation needs, keeping my #2446 2012 P85 is the best option. Just my spouse and I, retired (every days a Saturday), etc. More importantly, the car is still fantastic.

Lastly, I've had at least a dozen Tesla employees look at mine. Their positive comments like " this is how they used to be, sunroof, large frunk, this is a time capsule, etc" has made the money I've spent seem worth it.

And I just have a regular 2012. You have a Signature.

You're right, Tesla's current transfer programs are enticing. For me, and my personal transportation needs, keeping my #2446 2012 P85 is the best option. Just my spouse and I, retired (every days a Saturday), etc. More importantly, the car is still fantastic.

Lastly, I've had at least a dozen Tesla employees look at mine. Their positive comments like " this is how they used to be, sunroof, large frunk, this is a time capsule, etc" has made the money I've spent seem worth it.

And I just have a regular 2012. You have a Signature.
I generally share the idea that we ought not treat these cars like they are easily disposable. I'm drawn to the fact that our "classic" S has a sunroof, lacks AP, and is over a decade old but still going strong. I might also take my car up for service in Oregon not so much for the sales tax savings, but the ability to retain the out-going drive unit. I would love to crack it open and see if some future revisements/modifcations can make it more reliable. To just allow Tesla retain it and charge you another $6K for a future replacement doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I'd rather donate it QC Charge do some R&D.

I generally share the idea that we ought not treat these cars like they are easily disposable. I'm drawn to the fact that our "classic" S has a sunroof, lacks AP, and is over a decade old but still going strong. I might also take my car up for service in Oregon not so much for the sales tax savings, but the ability to retain the out-going drive unit. I would love to crack it open and see if some future revisements/modifcations can make it more reliable. To just allow Tesla retain it and charge you another $6K for a future replacement doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I'd rather donate it QC Charge do some R&D.
No guarantees on being able to keep the old drive unit without a core charge. Based on anecdotal evidence, I got lucky.

Final update on RDU/LDU replacement on my 2012 P85. Picked up car yesterday from Portland, OR Tesla Service Center (TSC). Took about 4 hours to remove/replace after waiting 5 days in the repair queue. Great service with this TSC - loaner M3P provided and got to keep my old RDU/LDU without a core charge.

No noticable performance difference between old and new. Watts/mile the same as before. Spaceship sound upon acceleration and stopping as depicted in the attached video is gone. Now quiet as a mouse. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jcCxnqejUg...
What was the cost to you for this replacement?