Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problem with Software update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi.

I picked up Tesla model 3 on Wednesday.
Since then I have new software available for download but update does not get downloaded as car thinks that it's not connected to WiFi... Anyone has any idea?

I have tried reboot (steering wheel buttons)

It behaves the same on home WiFi as well as on Android AP. Application does not display fact that car is on WiFi.

Attaching photo for reference.

Attachments

• 20200313_195236.jpg
    20200313_195236.jpg
    365 KB · Views: 136
Hi.

Since then I have new software available for download but update does not get downloaded as car thinks that it's not connected to WiFi... Anyone has any idea?

It behaves the same on home WiFi as well as on Android AP. Application does not display fact that car is on WiFi.

The Wifi symbol at the top of the screen looks like you are on a good wifi signal. Can you get Web pages successfully? This may be related to the present issues with the latest update and nothing to do with your car at all. Let the car go into sleep and don't fret. Check it out tomorrow. There's no great rush ... you're not missing much!

Reactions: Roy W.
The Wifi symbol at the top of the screen looks like you are on a good wifi signal. Can you get Web pages successfully? This may be related to the present issues with the latest update and nothing to do with your car at all. Let the car go into sleep and don't fret. Check it out tomorrow. There's no great rush ... you're not missing much!

I was just curious. It feels wrong to me. Update is available from day one so car has slept few time already. When o click na update it automatically goes into WiFi refresh. I can open web sites while on WiFi...

I was just curious. It feels wrong to me. Update is available from day one so car has slept few time already. When o click na update it automatically goes into WiFi refresh. I can open web sites while on WiFi...

OK, you can use the app to request a service appointment but describe having fully working Wifi but not able to update. Your service appointment will be reviewed and almost certainly cancelled by the service team who will instead check out your car remotely and if necessary redo the update for you. It's highly unlikely that you will have to actually follow through with the appointment.

Hi.

By the way 2020.4.2 is a very unusual update to be offered ...

You may have got navigation update (which is pretty big compared to firmware) and possibly game/entertainment updates. These don't necessarily come through with quite the same fanfare so easily missed. So possibly more than just a couple of firmware updates.

What about in the app.. is it not strange that it thinks car is not connected to WiFi?

Attaching screenshot

You should be able to confirm whether your are really connected to wifi or not. It looks from the icon that you are. If not it would say LTE or whatever. Can you go into the admin of your router to see what wifi devices are connected (as per DaddyCool post)?

My car was delivered earlier this week and I have exactly the same issue. I have tried multiple reboots and wifi networks but the download won't budge.

I spoke to Tesla on the phone and their technician has confirmed its a known issue and they advised me to schedule a service through the app.

The internet suggest that this is a fairly common problem and that the fix needs to be 'pushed' to the car, and involves clearing the cache, after which the download will restart - and Tesla will then cancel the scheduled service.

I may try a full 'reset' today and see if that clears it....

Reactions: piotroek
Tesla is connected but downloads almost nothing. We talking bytes not megabytes

I wonder if you were scheduled for .8 and that has been pulled (opinions vary on that, TeslaFi still showing some downloads, but there have been plenty of reports of very erratic behaviour and critical-takeover-alerts. That sort of side effect is rare on AP side, thus I think likely it has been pulled. QA bugs on Infotainment are less urgent than those on the AP side ...).

Might also be that the download has failed for some reason. Car tends to "give up" when that happens (after several attempts). It may wait a fair while before retrying. Service request to "push download to your car again" might be fastest way to fix that.

Also possible its your WiFi (although phone hotspot test suggests otherwise, and I would expect you to also have problems with other internet access from the car - Browser, Spotify, etc. [when explicitly connected to home WiFi making sure that LTE not used]). Testing on a friends / coffee-shop WiFi might be worthwhile, but I doubt that will be different.

There have been some threads from people who found that moving the WiFi kit to a different channel fixed WiFi robustness issues, some channels seem to work better than others. (Your Phone Hotspot failure makes that unlikely, but ...)

I think the bottom line is that because your Phone Hotspot didn't work (i.e. wasn't showing significant bytes-transferred activity) that the scheduled download has been cancelled, or failed multiple times and been "blocked" temporarily.

If you have 2020.4 I wouldn't be in a rush for anything newer. I can understand newcomer wish to get the updates, but after 4 years I'd like to be no earlier than "middle of the pack", given the lousy QA that Tesla have. They ought to only push new versions to old-hands, rather than anyone that pressed "Advanced" and sets the "soonest possible" download option. The latest reports of "emergency - take over" bug from .8 release is probably not something that ought to be combined with new owner / lack of familiarity - but that's just my opinion.

Last edited:
Exactly the same as mine! Delivered yesterday and it says software update available. However even though I have working WiFi signal the download won’t work. It just says ‘please connect to WiFi. I can view websites etc on the browser and WiFi symbol is showing good signal strength.

I think if everyone/most are getting this it increases the likelihood that it relates to .8 being pulled ... but ... who knows for sure?!

Wouldn't be hard to display a message clarifying ... Tesla aren't famous for that - you had to look in the source code for your VIN, right? When they could actually just display all that stuff on the My Tesla web page and also enhance the experience for all the people not reading this forum !

Way too easy I suppose ... maybe the "hidden knowledge" is the thing that sells the cars ... "other maybes are available" :)