Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Programming Community Gate Without Access to "Learn" Button?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay so...I know this has been brought up before, but the solutions I've read seem to be from dumb luck! lol...so I've spent a couple of hours trying to program my gate to sync with my car and have not had success. I get the car to recognize the signal from my fob (headlight blinks to acknowledge) but am unable to get the actual gate to sync. I've done everything from being close range, inside the vehicle, outside the vehicle, opening the frunk and using the fob inside the frunk pointing outward...

...on another note, my garage has been successfully programmed...I'm hoping you guys have may have an alt solution?

Thanks!

I've tried to use the clicker to auto program my M3 but it hasn't worked thus far...great to hear it's working for others...our community is only 3 years old, so I wonder if that matters? I was literally sitting next to the gate with my car frunk open and constantly trying everything to get it to program...fell short every time!

Any other ideas are much appreciated :) Glad I got the garage....one down, one to go!

I've tried to use the clicker to auto program my M3 but it hasn't worked thus far...great to hear it's working for others...our community is only 3 years old, so I wonder if that matters? I was literally sitting next to the gate with my car frunk open and constantly trying everything to get it to program...fell short every time!

Any other ideas are much appreciated :) Glad I got the garage....one down, one to go!

We failed as well. Garage doors work fine but can't get the neighborhood gate to work..husband just tried his 3 tonight; haven't tried mine yet. He's the techy-er one, so if he can't get it to work not sure I'll be able to.

Any tips appreciated.

Reactions: Jazz_MIII
You cannot program the car to open commercial grade gates as well as newer residential gates [EDIT: without access to the LEARN button] for the simple reason that they use a rolling code. What that means is that the original remote that was paired to the system has an internal algorithm to generate new codes every time you press the button. That algorithm cannot be deducted from pressing multiple times the button so it cannot be learned by another remote/car. This is for security purposes.
If you managed to copy a remote by pressing it a few times, I would suggest you change your security system as anybody can do that when you come home.
Here is more information on rolling codes: Rolling code - Wikipedia
For the more technically inclined, enjoy this: How does a rolling code work?

Last edited:
You cannot program the car to open commercial grade gates as well as newer residential gates for the simple reason that they use a rolling code. What that means is that the original remote that was paired to the system has an internal algorithm to generate new codes every time you press the button. That algorithm cannot be deducted from pressing multiple times the button so it cannot be learned by another remote/car. This is for security purposes.
If you managed to copy a remote by pressing it a few times, I would suggest you change your security system as anybody can do that when you come home.
Homelink works with [most] Rolling Code devices

You cannot program the car to open commercial grade gates as well as newer residential gates [EDIT: without access to the LEARN button] for the simple reason that they use a rolling code. What that means is that the original remote that was paired to the system has an internal algorithm to generate new codes every time you press the button. That algorithm cannot be deducted from pressing multiple times the button so it cannot be learned by another remote/car. This is for security purposes.

That all makes perfect sense.. but then how did @TMThree, @TomT, and @MarshallUCF get it to work??

Yep... rolling code is why I assumed that I wouldn't be able to program my home garage without pressing it... but it worked just fine. For the record, there is a learn button on the garage door opener, and I usually press it to program the clicker.

The neighborhood gate I tried without expectations that it would work, but it did. We have something around 100 homes here, I can't imagine they are all rolling.

The gate system we use here is remotely programmed by an administrator and they add and delete remotes as members of the neighborhood buy and sell... There is no learn function per se and the system is about seven years old. What I did was use the clicker to memorize the clicker code on the car (which opened the gate as I was right in front of it) and then immediately pressed the homelink button in the car afterwards. This did not work and I then pressed the clicker button followed immediately again by the homelink button. This got it in sync and it has worked ever since.

Because their gates use fixed codes (don't change/roll).

• Informative
The gate system we use here is remotely programmed by an administrator and they add and delete remotes as members of the neighborhood buy and sell... There is no learn function per se and the system is about seven years old. What I did was use the clicker to memorize the clicker code on the car (which opened the gate as I was right in front of it) and then immediately pressed the homelink button in the car afterwards. This did not work and I then pressed the clicker button followed immediately again by the homelink button. This got it in sync and it has worked ever since.

I've tried this already but will try this with a neighbor's clicker to be sure it's not a "me" thing and it's a "gate" thing...I'll report back! :)