Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Progressive rating for MS: no blind spot warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not looking for anything, it was my fault no argument. I'm telling you that you will pay more for insurance no matter what your driving record if insurance companies rate the MS as having no blindspot detector. I don't think that was the issue with my particular accident, I stopped in the middle of a maneuver that I would have normally completed had I followed through...

Current Gen Model S does have blind spot detection. Your insurance carrier is wrong or you have an AP1 vehicle.

• Funny
Reactions: kkillebrew
The problem is one can argue that a Model 3/S/X don't have blindspot monitoring, and one can argue they do.

I would argue that they don't as what they have doesn't match my criteria.

My criteria is a system has to use radar, and the indicator has to be in the mirrors or a HUD. It can't be in the CID like the Model S/X, and it can't be in the Center Console as it is in the Model 3.

Those seem like pretty arbitrary requirements in order to be "blindspot monitoring". My own requirements would be that the car... monitors blindspots and informs you of obstacles in them in some human-decipherable way.

Hmm, I'd ask them for their definition of "blind spot detection" and then work to prove that your Model S does indeed meet the requirements. I'm pretty sure even when not activated (and even AP1) it will throw a collision warning should it reliably sense an obstruction (even with just the ultrasonics .. ?).

Should be good unless the requirement is for a car to passively alert the driver when a lane change is not advisable (as we see with the orange triangles on some car side mirrors). For some reason Tesla still doesn't offer that anywhere.

AP1 doesn’t chime for a blind spot warning. The instrument panel will show an object there most of the time though.
Honestly I’d like a chime but it’s not really needed if you have the rear camera on the screen at all times like I do. That eliminates the blind spot.

AP1 doesn’t chime for a blind spot warning. The instrument panel will show an object there most of the time though.
Honestly I’d like a chime but it’s not really needed if you have the rear camera on the screen at all times like I do. That eliminates the blind spot.

OP said this is for a 2019 car, so not AP1. And for us, it shows up the lane(and car) in red if it’s in the way

Those seem like pretty arbitrary requirements in order to be "blindspot monitoring". My own requirements would be that the car... monitors blindspots and informs you of obstacles in them in some human-decipherable way.

For a requirements standpoint I think what I listed was too specific in both how the sensing is done, and how the indication is done.

I simply went with what we know works as blindspot monitor is a solved issue in the automotive world.

What Tesla has now doesn't work. But, your requirements would allow them to declare it as blindspot monitoring even though it doesn't work very well. It works so poorly that lots of people don't even realize they have it.

in my case it would not have helped at all, as stated I am an idiot, I was texting with the brake pressed, the car went into park and I forgot spacially where I was.

I know the rather treacherous driveway too, because I own the house... now I repeat paragraph one.
Sorry, what I meant was. It sound odd For the insurance to add that as a reason for increasing the premium when it would have no relevance.

There are certain companies that dont want to insure a tesla but will at a premium, more as a service, but wont bat an eye if you take the car somewhere else.

I know AAA is one, and i believe progressive might also.
I know they dont like insuring MS's in Los Angeles, as the progressive agent told me, he didnt want to waste my time and to goto somewhere else, and if possible look into an umbrella coverage with my residential, as that will be the cheapest solution, as again, certain companies just hate Tesla's.

Current Gen Model S does have blind spot detection. Your insurance carrier is wrong or you have an AP1 vehicle.
There are certain companies that dont want to insure a tesla but will at a premium, more as a service, but wont bat an eye if you take the car somewhere else.

I know AAA is one, and i believe progressive might also.
I know they dont like insuring MS's in Los Angeles, as the progressive agent told me, he didnt want to waste my time and to goto somewhere else, and if possible look into an umbrella coverage with my residential, as that will be the cheapest solution, as again, certain companies just hate Tesla's.
My long-time farmers agent told me the same. I have price checked Progressive in Texas and in my case they are competitive, and they handled my claim in it's entirety without batting an eye, the adjuster was very good, so I am still with them for now.

I have Progressive Insurance and a Model S on my policy. I have no such “surcharge”. Also, Progressive had no issues whatsoever adding the Tesla to my policy, which went up about $50/month going from a 2015 Lexus 450h to a 2020 Tesla Model S.

Full Disclosure: I have Progressive Home, Auto, and Umbrella policies and haven't been in a car accident in over 20 years.

I have Progressive Insurance and a Model S on my policy. I have no such “surcharge”. Also, Progressive had no issues whatsoever adding the Tesla to my policy, which went up about $50/month going from a 2015 Lexus 450h to a 2020 Tesla Model S.

Full Disclosure: I have Progressive Home, Auto, and Umbrella policies and haven't been in a car accident in over 20 years.
Hey! Maybe it's ME that has no blindspot warning...

Reactions: Brettski
Full Disclosure: I have Progressive Home, Auto, and Umbrella

yeah this is the only way to make it affordable.

And i highly do not recommend Tesla's insurance unless u live litterally in the suburb with very little uninsured motorist.
My friend whose a personal injury attorney has looked over the policy and said, you willl be in very big danger should you have this policy in Metro where chances are 1/5 cars on the street next to you has a little kid vaping weed with no car insurance. (LOS ANGELES) UGH!..

It has almost nothing in uninsured, so your going to be in trouble if one hits you.

Progressive increased my insurance cost significantly in my last offer of 12/29. I expected an increase because I have been in two at-fault non serious accidents with brand new cars in the last year, one being my own M$. They have PAID because of my errors - over $15k - so I do not blame them for the increase, I am an idiot.

But when I looked at the disclosure there was another reason beyond my accidents - they now list the MS as not having blindspot detection. I got over $10k damage from a retaining wall that contacted with the car about 10" from the front right repeater, No warning, no sentry, or video recorded.

there is no blind spot, the bands on the screen based on the ultrasonics are a joke. It needs true blind spot displayed on the mirrors which is where a driver should be looking when making a lane change and not at the instrument cluster