Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Project Better Place

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
if I see the pricing for Model S and the $10.000 jumps between 160 230 300 miles pack. I see at least half as raw profit to cover cost of development. the chinese cells with 2200mAh are priced around 20cent. Even if the panasonic cells with a higher quality may cost 1-2$, there is enough left to make profit out of this.

The cells Tesla uses are certainly much more expensive, and there is a lot of design, labor, and materials involved in assembling, monitoring, and controlling a pack. The price of Chinese commodity cells is irrelevant. Even at $2 per cell a Roadster pack is $13,662 just for the cells.

Not to bring this further off topic, but last I checked, the average cell price in the 18650 industry in 2008 was still above $2USD (~$2.20). (From Hideo Takeshita's presentation at the 2008 International Battery Seminar).

In the 2009 seminar, he estimated costs for 6381 x (2400mah 18650 + FET + Fuse) to be $18k. Then you have to add the cooling, casing, electronics costs.

Plus I'm willing to bet the cells in the 300 mile Model S sells for higher than industry average, since they are newly released. They probably make some margin, but I don't think it is anywhere close to half, esp. once you count the costs besides from the cells.

I think most of the margin in the Model S will be like traditional cars: made from the final car price plus options.

Last edited:
Tesla values 20kWh for $10.000.
n the 2009 seminar, he estimated costs for 6381 x (2400mah 18650 + FET + Fuse) to be $18k
This quotes the cost of $300 per kWh. The difference is the raw profit.
Here the topic is "better place". in my opinion, the carmakers (Tesla included) cannot give away to profit from their battery pack to someone else by passing this to other companies like Better Place.

This was my Quote:
Dear Mr.Eberhard mayer :
Hello!
Thanks for your faster reply.
You are most welcome to your interests in our Lithium-ion battery.
The price is usd$0.185 for 18650 2200mAh in bulks of 100.000 pcs.
FOB Guangzhou
30% Prepay,70% TT balance the order before the delivery.
Our goods have a minimum of 6 months warranty.

By the way, You are most welcome to visit Hainang Island for business meeting.

Anytime any inquiry about these, pls feel free to contact me!
Look forward to see your soon reply.
Best regards
David jackie Tang
Sales manager of merrydream.com team
M:86-15818145218
Tel: 8620-36254201
Fax: 86760-86938622-2613 (24 hour)
Business email:
[email protected]
MSN: [email protected]
YMSN: [email protected]
Merrydream
http://merrygroup.bloombiz.com

The vertical pack looks larger to me. I'm still mystified why a country the size of Israel where the average daily trip is probably 20 miles would need a swappable pack when a LEAF can easily do 4 times that range on a single charge.
Average is a poor statstic for this purpose. How many trips do most families make in a year that would exceed 100 (or 70) miles that Leaf has ?

Afterall the average US daily trip is about 40 miles ...

Average is a poor statstic for this purpose. How many trips do most families make in a year that would exceed 100 (or 70) miles that Leaf has ?

Afterall the average US daily trip is about 40 miles ...
I don't know, but how many families have only one vehicle? And how many fast charge stations would it take to cover Israel for essentially endless travel? I don't see a lot of road trips to neighboring countries for your average Israeli, considering. I also don't think we need to worry about the range of current EV's since production can't keep up with demand. We have a lot of time before we end up with unsold EV's sitting on lots because they don't have enough range. I predict it never happens.

Yes, I know, but I think the sedan could have had a Leaf / Model S style flat pack too just like the SUV type vehicle.
The pack in that wagon isn't very flat. Most of the mass looks relatively high in the rear with a partial tunnel. It's an odd shape for what is essentially a conversion.
At least the Fluence pack has a regular shape.

How many Israeli families live in an apartment without the facility for driveway charging? How many can't charge on the street? Probably a lot.

How many Israelis want to use their country to demonstrate a system that can end reliance on arab oil for an entire nation?

I probably fit this average daily drive below 40 miles statistic too: I take the (electric) train to work, walk to the shops and when I drive it's normally to my mum's on a weekend every few weeks (100 miles), to Scotland a couple of times a year (440 miles) or to France for holidays (400 miles).