Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Project Redwood (Compact Crossover)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1707702836620.png

Single casting?
1707703437632.png

Last edited:
It will have everything that makes Tesla a Tesla. Power seats, glass roof,
I am not sure about the seats and the roof.

They may be power seats, but they may also be a cheaper version.

The glass roof persisted in the Model 3/Y due to the need for the roof to go on after the robots installed the seats. There is no longer an manufacturing reason to have a glass roof.

I suspect the roof will come down to cost, including cost of manufacture.... Or Elon deciding it needs to have a glass roof.

It will be significantly better than the other "de-contented" entry level competition, just autopilot/FSD, software, navigation, etc will make a difference.
The car should have good body stiffness, good performance and good handling... They can use better quality materials simply because there are a lot of cost savings in the build process.

Because they don't need to work too hard on reducing costs, the end result may be like Model 3 Highland, a much better car than many are expecting, so you might even be right on the roof and seats.

I know you are joking but Elon has just sent up the batbtc signal.
My mind goes to Dogecoin...

Or could be Tesla - Elon frustrated nobody has cracked his t shirt puzzle! Or that nobody cares enough to even talk about it.

My theory is that the only gigacastings on Redwood will be the unboxed sides.
I've seen speculation that the tee-shirt is simply the side of a Model Y with the Investor Day motif.

It could be an old tee-shirt and Elon might have just decided to wear any old tee-shirt to the Superbowl.

I've never seen that tee-shirt before and the side of a new Gen3 car could easily look a bit like the side of a Model Y.

The only real question on casting the side of cars is crash protection with high strength steel typically used in that area.
Tesla would know the answer on crash protection and obviously would not cast the side if safety was compromised.

Assuming that safety was not an issue this is the benefit of casting the sides (and possibly the roof)
  • Fewer body-shop steps and robots vehicle frame production is all casting.
  • For unboxed, castings always achieve a good match within fine tolerances, easier assemble, fewer issues.
  • No need to paint the vehicle frame.
I am inclined to think that the tee-shirt is a hint there are no safety issues and the unboxed process consists of the following parts which are joined.
Rear bottom casting, structural battery pack, front bottom casting, left side, right side, roof.

if casting provides enough safety for the side frames, the probably also provide it for the roof frames... IMO a cast roof has many advantages, possibly even allowing the choice of a glass or metal roof. But the main advantage is a fully cast car is probably the easiest to assemble.

Last edited:
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Why everyone is so bent on Tesla announcing now any new models when it's clearly this year they will have a problem moving +2.1mill cars this year? The economy and interest rates are making everyone delaying their purchase.

I get it, everyone wants the smaller car & the van, but you guys really think Elon will announce anything until they are ready to deliver from now on?

They have 2mill preorders for the CT, even if 50% cancel that's still 1 mill CTs to be made, which they could sell now if they could make them.

We are not seeing a new model until 2025, not even a "leaked" design or anything! I hope so, now osborning is truly a problem.

I get it, everyone wants the smaller car & the van, but you guys really think Elon will announce anything until they are ready to deliver from now on?
I 100% agree with this point...

I think a Gen3 car will be built at Austin and work is proceeding on that... but these are likely to be well hidden from public view for as long as possible,

I don't expect a reveal until car can be ordered, and the first deliveries take place no longer than 1 month after the reveal.

Tesla has just migrated to using the larger outbound logistics lot at Austin, Model Y and CT production is still ramping..
Berlin has also ramped up Model Y production.

This is consistent with what Elon previously stated, ramping production ASAP, and adjusting prices as needed.

Reactions: Paul_SF
The rear door seems much larger than the front? Reminds me of some cabs, the larger rear doors made entry/exit sooo much easier.

Do it look like this? Tobias Lindh spots camo car in latest Berlin video

snapshot2519.jpg

Anybody remember the "undercover car" spotted by Joe T. on a flat bed at Giga Texas? Looks similar to me...

snapshot.TXwrap.00-31.jpg

If Elon was any more open, these alpha's would be covered with SAND BAGS. :D

I think Model 2 is:
  • built with certain reused Model Y stampings (roof, cowl, sides)
  • is narrower, shorter with a modified hatch and bonnet
  • can be built using much existing tooling at Berlin + Austin (presses)
  • is FAR, FAR ahead of the public schedule (ie: Jan 2025 for 1st production)
Cheers!

Last edited:
I get it, everyone wants the smaller car & the van, but you guys really think Elon will announce anything until they are ready to deliver from
I hope this is true, in the past Elon has been addicted to announcing products and specs when they are no where near ready. As well as giving unrealistic timelines.

I noticed on the call when he gave the timeline for the smaller vehicle he said these are my timelines and I have been known to be optimistic which made me think the vehicle is years away from mass production.
Now I am hoping this was part of the strategy to downplay the timeline.

Do it look like this? Tobias Lindh spots camo car in latest Berlin video

View attachment 1018919

Anybody remember the "undercover car" spotted by Joe T. on a flat bed at Giga Texas? Looks similar to me...

View attachment 1018920

If Elon was any more open, these alpha's would be covered with SAND BAGS. :D

I think Model 2 is:
Cheers!
If the $25k car platform is a variation of the Model3/Y platform that would reduce a significant amount of CAPEX from the program. Most new platforms are a variation of the previous ones at competing automakers, so that would make sense. So many parts are similar to the Model Y but the assembly of the parts is different. Which would make changing future Model Y production processes easier too.

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
The pic from Berlin could also be a Model Y Juniper prototype.

Yes, its true that it could be Juniper, we expect it to be the same size as the current Model Y (just as Highland isn't smaller than the OG 3) ;)

Its hard to tell due to perspective, but to my eye (and Tobias Lindh) that camo'd car looks significantly smaller than the Model Y cars parked behind it in this photo: (as we'd expect for the Compact Car).

Tobias.Lindh.Compact.Car.Berlin.2024-02-15.jpg

Also folks, please be aware my theory is wild speculation, but how better to ACCELERATE the program Gen 3? That has to be the 2nd highest priority (Safety 1st, always). Many other 3rd-Gen vehicles can follow on this platform: a van, a combi, taxi, ... :D

Cheers to the impatient!

Reactions: Mike Ambler
:D

I think Model 2 is:
Cheers!
My predictions:

Its going to look almost like a new Prius, for exactly the same reason: best aerodynamics and space packaging for the length & mass.

A touch higher seating so the frunk top to windscreen isn't quite a straight line. This is not a bad thing---the new Prius shows that efficient can look good enough. If it has to be small, wedge > egg or bug or amphibian (MBZ)

It's not going to look CyberAnything. Because the large scale customer demand for something that looks like that is unknown and customer demand for the Y is known.

I'd get one if there is a LR AWD model with a good sound system.

Last edited:
Reactions: EVCollies
My predictions:

Its going to look almost like a new Prius, for exactly the same reason: best aerodynamics and space packaging for the length & mass.

A touch higher seating so the frunk top to windscreen isn't quite a straight line. This is not a bad thing---the new Prius shows that efficient can look good enough. If it has to be small, wedge > egg or bug or amphibian (MBZ)

It's not going to look CyberAnything. Because the large scale customer demand for something that looks like that is unknown and customer demand for the Y is known.

I'd get one if there is a LR AWD model with a good sound system.
I love your priorities, a good system is a must !!!

Oh, since we're speculating anyway, Imma call it RWD, no front motor, and still have a 'frunk' but in the space which would have been occupied by the front motor and drive unit. Shorter, stubbier nose overall with this packaging. :)
Shorter stubbier nose can be contrary to good aero (and crash safety), which might want a long thin extended nose, and a stubbier rear. (btw don't judge by Cd, but Cd * frontal area as lowering height apparently might seem to increase Cd but in fact is still superior). Detaching the flow at the rear helps (Prius stubby), even if there is a bit of turbulence, sometimes laminar flow all the way means there is sucking lower pressure at the rear pulling you back.

Shorter is to reduce cost.

To lower cost the most, they want the best possible efficiency so they can use the cheapest battery that gives acceptable range.

Something like MBZ EQS and the Prius are close to economically ideal without a tail skirt/diffuser that moves with speed.

Last edited: