Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Promotion of EV in Hong Kong Gov't Website

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was looking around to see what kind of gov't support we have. I found this website:

EPD - Promotion of Electric Vehicles in Hong Kong

The first thing I noticed is as of Feb 2014, Tesla is not on the approved list of cars that fall into the EV category. I think that's referring to cars eligible for some of their schemes such as 100% deductible of the car purchase for a company.

It also states there are 1000 EV charging stations in HK. What?!

"The availability of charging facilities is critical to promoting the wider adoption of EVs. We have therefore been working with the private sector in expanding the EV charging infrastructure in Hong Kong. There are now over 1 000 standard EV chargers in Hong Kong, covering all 18 districts in various types of buildings. In addition, there are now 10 quick chargers set up at various districts, such that there is one quick charger within around 20 km. The Government will launch a pilot scheme that enables suppliers of electric taxis to install quick chargers at car parks administered by the Transport Department. A total of 100 medium chargers will also be provided this year in various districts to shorten charging time. We will closely monitor the growth in the number of EVs and consider the need to further expand the charging network in a timely manner.

Regarding support to EV users, a hotline (3757 6222) was set up at the Electrical and Mechanical Services Department to provide information and technical support to interested parties in setting up EV chargers at car parks. Besides, guidelines have been issued on the arrangements and technical requirements in setting up EV chargers.

The following information related to charging facilities:-

1. Guidelines for Setting-up Standard Charging Facilities for Electric Vehicle at Car Parks
  2. Guidelines for individual owners and tenants of car parking spaces for setting up EV chargers
  3. Locations of Charging Stations for Public Access
  4. Technical Guidelines for Electric Vehicle Charging-enabling for Car Parks of New Building Developments"

BTW has anyone called the HOTLINE, to get more information about setting up charging in Car Parks?

Also I found the "STEERING COMMITTEE" EPD - Steering Committee on the Promotion of Electric Vehicles

If the hotline is a dead-end and our needs are not being met. Have any of you considered contacting the steering committee to make sure the Tesla enthusiasts voices are being heard?

Here is the list of the 1,000 charging points (the 3rd link): Guidelines | Environment Bureau All appear to be 13amp.

"As of February 2014" - at that time, the Tesla model S was available for order, not for sale. It has only been approved by TD recently, so maybe it is time for them to update the list soon?

You could consider almost any 13A socket a "charging point", really, if you are content with 13A. In that case, there are millions of "charging stations" in Hong Kong, although some require quite a long extension chord to reach for an EV!

I was looking around to see what kind of gov't support we have. I found this website:

EPD - Promotion of Electric Vehicles in Hong Kong

The first thing I noticed is as of Feb 2014, Tesla is not on the approved list of cars that fall into the EV category. I think that's referring to cars eligible for some of their schemes such as 100% deductible of the car purchase for a company.

I asked them the same question. The answer was that at that time there were no cars from Tesla currently approved for new sales in Hong Kong. The roadster had been discontinued, and the Model S had not been type approved.

I think they are probably getting fed up with me writing to them :)

Can you / someone write to ev (at) epd (dot) gov (dot) hk and let them know the Model S is now (presumably) type approved and available for sale? Perhaps they can update the list given how important this vehicle is for Hong Kong.

- - - Updated - - -

You could consider almost any 13A socket a "charging point", really, if you are content with 13A. In that case, there are millions of "charging stations" in Hong Kong, although some require quite a long extension chord to reach for an EV!

I think the referred list is 'public charging stations'.

Moderator's Note: Some posts (on the ever popular 13A/220V charging topic) moved to Charging with 220V 13A socket in Hong Kong

- - - Updated - - -

They responded to my question. Pretty impressed, they responded fairly quickly:

Tesla model S has just been type-approved by Transport Department and the website will be updated soon to include it.

Nice. Of all the government departments involved in EV, the EPD is stellar. Quick to respond. Quick to 'take the job' and get it done.

I am an EV advocate in the States and am currently on the EVSE Task Force Advisory Committee for City of Palo Alto. We developed a plan to work toward creating policies that promote Electric Vehicle ownership and infrastructure. Working with city's planning department and utility, we created recommendations that explore how EVSE may be installed in new and existing buildings (this includes residential, multi-family, commercial, work place charging, hotel, etc. etc.). Our proposal for new building was approved and adopted few weeks ago. The adopted ordinances includes setting requirements for N% of parking spaces to have EVSE installed AND N% of the parking spaces to be EV ready (i.e. has panel capacity and conduits but don't have to install EVSE).

Does Hong Kong has one Planning/building Department or does each district has its own planning/building department? Can you guys work with them to adopt a plan?

Waidy,

The EMSD and EPS came up with specifications for new buildings and that has been enacted into law.

The issue we are seeing is with existing buildings. There is currently no legislative support for EVSE installation in such carparks.

Thanks Markwj. Does remodel require permit? If so, it would nice to add the requirement of getting the electrical and panel of the premises upgraded to be EV ready. If the building is EV ready, it will be very easy for occupants to install EVSE of their choice. For multi-unit family residents (such as condos and apartments), landlord could either install EVSEs and $charge$ the tenants or have the tenant to install a separate meter together with the EVSE they install. Nevertheless, the most important thing is that the building needs to have capacity.

Thanks Markwj. Does remodel require permit?

The legislation ties building incentives (plot ratio, etc) to providing EV charging capabilities to a percentage of parking spaces. It only applies to newly constructed buildings.

So far, government seems reluctant to address the issue of forcing the case with existing buildings. They have a hotline and offer to help talk to BM/OC, but no legislative powers.