Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prospective buyers- still SR+ or LR AWD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We purchased both the LR-AWD and SR+ back in May so having both I have a few notes from my perspective.

As far as range goes, that's a personal usage consideration, but I've gone Ottawa to Toronto in the SR+ without issue, just a 30-35 minute pit stop in Belleville at the super charger which was fine. I may have been able to make the full way in the AWD, but likely would have had to stop in Pickering or Port Hope instead. For my around town usage, I haven't had any issues or struggles. That being said, I haven't gone through the winter yet, so more range may be more precious in the deep cold. Likewise, I cant speak to winter handling, but I did a lot of reading/research prior to our purchase and it seems the RWD is perfectly fine in the winter.

The SR+ is fast and responsive, and the AWD is that much more, which we really don't need or take advantage of in comparison. Sure its fun, but I am not an overly aggressive driver so the SR+ is more than enough power for me.

The SR+ stereo is awesome (by my standards), a lot better than any of our previous vehicles, but the AWD is a lot better than the SR+. I'm by no means an audiophile, but if you can definitely notice the difference. The AWD is definitely fuller, but if I didn't have the AWD, I would be quite happy with the SR+.

The other features that set the AWD apart don't really appeal to me. I got all weather mats for both, so I didn't care about the lack of floor mats. I prefer the vector maps to the satellite maps. The real time traffic data is nice, but not a deal breaker. We both use apple music and slacker is pretty blah, so the streaming isn't ever really used. I don't care about the web browser, sure its a novelty, but I am more apt to use my phone instead. And we don't park in our garage so home link isn't used.

All that said, I love both cars. If money was no issue, I would certainly go AWD without question. Luckily for us, our situation allowed us to get one of each, and I am quite content with the SR+. In hindsight, I think we would have been happy with 2 SR+s, but I don't regret the upgrade either. There is some comfort in the back of my mind about the extra range and prospect of better winter handling.

Reading this back, I don't know if I offered anything, but the TL : DR is SR+ is awesome and I am perfectly happy with it, but the AWD is better. It's ultimately up to you if its 16k better.

Also, may be worth noting, that the 16K difference becomes 18K when you tack on the HST.

Thanks- I appreciate your unique perspective of having both models. Forgot about that HST too- those upgrades are not quite worth 18k to me. It may mean an extra 45 minutes at $20 at a supercharger every now and then, but sounds like a good trade off.

Admittedly I only skimmed the posts but I didn't notice this mentioned. The larger pack of the LR will supercharge faster meaning not only do you have less stops because of the longer range, but they will also be shorter stops because of the faster charging speed.
Less stops? Certainly. Faster stops? I don't agree with that. I've supercharged my SR+ several times and I never need to stop for more than 15 minutes. The smaller pack just doesn't take as long to charge. Charging 30-80 is an absolute breeze and when I arrive at a charger with S's and X's, even other 3's already there, I'm generally out of there before they return.

• Informative
Reactions: CdnElec
One way I like to rationalize these decisions is to put a value on the difference in cost.
Ask yourself, would you prefer an:

1) SR+, wireless phone charger, all-weather mats, trunk and frunk liner, winter tires with aero covers, mud flaps, trunk/frunk mods, window tints, wrap/PPF, ceramic coating, brighter LEDs, console wrap, steering wheel wrap, phone cables, SSD, USB splitter, game controller, NEMA 14-50, Tesla UWC, lug nut covers and centre cap, sun shades, etc.

or

2) LR AWD, satellite view maps, rear seat heaters, browser, premium audio

That's not meant to be a comprehensive list, btw. But I think you get the point. It becomes more about "what would you prefer to do with the extra saved". Therein lies your answer!

Less stops? Certainly. Faster stops? I don't agree with that. I've supercharged my SR+ several times and I never need to stop for more than 15 minutes. The smaller pack just doesn't take as long to charge. Charging 30-80 is an absolute breeze and when I arrive at a charger with S's and X's, even other 3's already there, I'm generally out of there before they return.
The "km/h" charge rate is faster on the LR, so yes, shorter assuming you need a fixed amount of km. Granted, if you're talking about 30-80, the time will be similar. Maybe it would be better said as less stops or shorter stops or a combination of both. The ideal profile is to start with a full L2 charge, and then do supercharges of just enough km to get you to your next stop.

So if you were on a road trip that took say 3 stops with a SR+, you might be able to skip the first stop with a LR and then have shorter stops (due to faster km/h charging) for the other two. It would be especially pronounced if you had to supercharge beyond 80% in the SR+, (e.g. if you had a 320 km segment) where the rate tapers badly.

Thanks- I appreciate your unique perspective of having both models. Forgot about that HST too- those upgrades are not quite worth 18k to me. It may mean an extra 45 minutes at $20 at a supercharger every now and then, but sounds like a good trade off.

Depending on if/when you buy, don't forget to get a referral, the bonus supercharger miles can help fill in the gaps as well.

Hi everyone,

I have been on the sidelines waiting to jump into this Tesla madness. I had my mind set on the basic colour (whatever it was at the time) for SR+ in order to get the federal $5000 rebate. However, the LR AWD has now come down by $3000 as well (and pearl white paint is now free, which I prefer).

The base model SR+ is roughly $50k after rebate and the LR AWD is $66k with no rebate (I am in Ontario). Does that 16k justify AWD, faster acceleration and premium interior/maps? I value that additions at about $8k personally (no right or wrong, just how I feel). At this point, I feel the price difference is still to great to justify the added features. Wondering what the rest of you think? Is there anything still available off the menu for added range and premium interior (LR RWD recently discontinued)?

I am in Toronto, and while I have always had AWD cars in the past, research has told me that RWD with winter tires is sufficient for our weather- curious to know what someone with real world experience thinks. Thanks!
Hi everyone,

I have been on the sidelines waiting to jump into this Tesla madness. I had my mind set on the basic colour (whatever it was at the time) for SR+ in order to get the federal $5000 rebate. However, the LR AWD has now come down by $3000 as well (and pearl white paint is now free, which I prefer).

The base model SR+ is roughly $50k after rebate and the LR AWD is $66k with no rebate (I am in Ontario). Does that 16k justify AWD, faster acceleration and premium interior/maps? I value that additions at about $8k personally (no right or wrong, just how I feel). At this point, I feel the price difference is still to great to justify the added features. Wondering what the rest of you think? Is there anything still available off the menu for added range and premium interior (LR RWD recently discontinued)?

I am in Toronto, and while I have always had AWD cars in the past, research has told me that RWD with winter tires is sufficient for our weather- curious to know what someone with real world experience thinks. Thanks!
Hey CdnElec,
Have you thought of acquiring a used Model 3?

Someone is selling their long range non AWD and here is the cut and pasted ad from FaceBook that was just posted a few days ago in the “Tesla Garage Sale Canada (Buy / Sell / Swap)” group.

"Avi Charszan
Hey Guys, I’m thinking of selling my 2018 RWD Model 3. It has 33k Km’s on it. It’s a low VIN 29k production, so it has the beautiful copper colored glass roof, data for life, and added acceleration or 4.9sec 0-100kmh. I’ve had TuxMats in the car from almost day one, so the interior carpets are super clean. The windows have been tinted, mud guards, and center console wrapped. I’m looking to sell it to someone in Ontario, as you guy don’t have any incentive for the long range battery. I’m looking to sell it for $56,500 and buy myself a Performance TM3 as a replacement. If you, or someone you know is thinking of picking one up, this could be a super deal."

I think this could be your 3rd viable option to buy a used Model 3.

After owning my Model 3 long range RWD, I personally don’t think it’s worth the price gap of $16K to go from SR+.

On the flip side, I must admit having a long range battery is a huge plus in the winter season, esp if you have a wife who is constantly very cold and needs to have full blast of hot air. Half kidding aside, the efficiency drop in winter can be quite drastic (defrosting your windows, spinning out a bit when accelerating even if you have winter tires, etc etc).

Therefore, if you are ok with buying used and like the colour red, then a used long range RWD may be the perfect compromise.

Hope this helps, happy to answer any more questions as I have already put on 26K since Dec 15th 2018.

I went with the sr+. zero regrets. In my opinion, it's the best bang for the buck. I just could not give up $5000 from the government that you cannot get with the AWD. Range has never been an issue.

Best part is, $1.50 to fill a day. Audio is not the best though and I don't like no xm radio or apple/Google phone integration.

@CdnElec I’m in the same boat! Which trim did you go with in the end?

Thanks but I went with a new SR+

Hey CdnElec,
Have you thought of acquiring a used Model 3?

Someone is selling their long range non AWD and here is the cut and pasted ad from FaceBook that was just posted a few days ago in the “Tesla Garage Sale Canada (Buy / Sell / Swap)” group.

"Avi Charszan
Hey Guys, I’m thinking of selling my 2018 RWD Model 3. It has 33k Km’s on it. It’s a low VIN 29k production, so it has the beautiful copper colored glass roof, data for life, and added acceleration or 4.9sec 0-100kmh. I’ve had TuxMats in the car from almost day one, so the interior carpets are super clean. The windows have been tinted, mud guards, and center console wrapped. I’m looking to sell it to someone in Ontario, as you guy don’t have any incentive for the long range battery. I’m looking to sell it for $56,500 and buy myself a Performance TM3 as a replacement. If you, or someone you know is thinking of picking one up, this could be a super deal."

I think this could be your 3rd viable option to buy a used Model 3.

After owning my Model 3 long range RWD, I personally don’t think it’s worth the price gap of $16K to go from SR+.

On the flip side, I must admit having a long range battery is a huge plus in the winter season, esp if you have a wife who is constantly very cold and needs to have full blast of hot air. Half kidding aside, the efficiency drop in winter can be quite drastic (defrosting your windows, spinning out a bit when accelerating even if you have winter tires, etc etc).

Therefore, if you are ok with buying used and like the colour red, then a used long range RWD may be the perfect compromise.

Hope this helps, happy to answer any more questions as I have already put on 26K since Dec 15th 2018.