Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Protecting Door Sill Plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

berkeley_ecar

S 90D (fully loaded) delivered 18 Mar 2017
Jul 21, 2014
Berkeley, CA
The shiny aluminum door sill plates with "Model S" on them, on my brand new Model S, seem to be made to become scratched and dirty. I searched on the forum for references to sill plates, and found that one party was selling illuminated/non-illuminated sill plate overlays (which seems expensive overkill to me, and only applies to the front door sills in any case), and another poster mentioned installing some sort of 3M film product over the footwells (without specifying the exact product). Does anyone have a clean, inexpensive, practical solution to this issue for all four doors?

I bought a 5' x 2.75" roll of Xpel on Amazon for $15(not it's $21).

Amazon.com: XPEL Clear Universal Door Sill Guard (60" x 2.75") Paint Protection Film Kit: Automotive

I did the aluminum door sill plates. The stuff has worked perfectly and remained scratch free in addition to protecting the sill plates. I also used it on the paint at the base of the door (below the sill plate) where my wife is likely to strike the paint with heels. Really glad I did.

I self installed the Xpel. Small pieces like this are really easy compared to doing a whole hood.

Note, if you like the satin look of the door sill plates, then this is not for you. The Xpel makes the plates look like polished aluminum.

• Informative
Reactions: ACExpress
I bought a 5' x 2.75" roll of Xpel on Amazon for $15(not it's $21).

Amazon.com: XPEL Clear Universal Door Sill Guard (60" x 2.75") Paint Protection Film Kit: Automotive

I did the aluminum door sill plates. The stuff has worked perfectly and remained scratch free in addition to protecting the sill plates. I also used it on the paint at the base of the door (below the sill plate) where my wife is likely to strike the paint with heels. Really glad I did.

I self installed the Xpel. Small pieces like this are really easy compared to doing a whole hood.

Note, if you like the satin look of the door sill plates, then this is not for you. The Xpel makes the plates look like polished aluminum.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Did the Xpel you purchased come with application instructions? If so is there any chance you could scan and share them?

My detailer gave me some matte clear bra about a year ago. I found it tonight and tested it on the aluminum plate by applying it dry lengthwise gradually to prevent air bubbles. I did not press into the recessed text. The matte finish doesn't shine and looks attractive. I will be bringing the vehicle in for detail soon. I'll let them improve the look of this protective material.

I had XPEL put on my X sills and it looks great. The problem with the front door sills on the S is the lettering is recessed. I had XPEL cut in an oval shape where the lettering in the center is exposed. Otherwise there would be a bubble in that area when the XPEL dries. Most of the sill's aluminum is protected now. The lettering is not. Thankfully, only the front doors are effected on the S.

• Informative
Reactions: berkeley_ecar
I had XPEL put on my X sills and it looks great. The problem with the front door sills on the S is the lettering is recessed. I had XPEL cut in an oval shape where the lettering in the center is exposed. Otherwise there would be a bubble in that area when the XPEL dries. Most of the sill's aluminum is protected now. The lettering is not. Thankfully, only the front doors are effected on the S.

The "Model S" logo on the S is also slightly recessed. If you get it on without air bubbles and with only liquid under the film where the letters are, the water will evaporate out over about a month which will pull the film down firmly on the letters.

I have had the Xpel door sill protection on my S for about 9 months now. They work great.
I purchased mine from RPMTesla and here is the link....

RPM Tesla

At the time I got mine, the first set had the Model S as cutouts. These films with the cutouts did not work well for me as the
cutout tore. I went on the phone to RPM and he sent me the original films without the cutouts. They worked super and installed
perfectly. I have no regrets. RPM is good to do business with and he stands behind is product. BTW his rear license plate frame in graphite weave is also a fine piece.

Hope this helps.

Note, when I applied mine, cut a length of the 5" wide xpel and applied it with the soapy solution and then used the hard edge to remove the air and the excess water. A bit more tacking down to make sure all the water was really out. Only then did I use an xacto knife to trim off the xpel around the trim.

As far as technique, I angled blade slightly inward towards the trim and rode the outer edge of the crevice. This created a very tiny bit of overlap on the film that I then tucked into the crack surrounding the sill plate.

I have had the Xpel door sill protection on my S for about 9 months now. They work great.
I purchased mine from RPMTesla and here is the link....

RPM Tesla

At the time I got mine, the first set had the Model S as cutouts. These films with the cutouts did not work well for me as the
cutout tore. I went on the phone to RPM and he sent me the original films without the cutouts. They worked super and installed
perfectly. I have no regrets. RPM is good to do business with and he stands behind is product. BTW his rear license plate frame in graphite weave is also a fine piece.

Hope this helps.

I ordered from RPM a few days ago before seeing your post and just received the film yesterday. It's cut to size (looks smaller than the plate but it is properly sized so no trimming necessary) and can report that it no longer comes with any cutouts in the film. After we ordered it, we began to question the wisdom of having the film cutout around any lettering, and then read your post and wondered what would ship. Thankfully it's shipped as a solid piece so no worries. A bit more expensive than cutting out your own but you do get a clean cut film to apply. Couldn't be easier. Comes with squeegee.

Glad this worked out for you and I am sorry to have made you worry a bit. Also glad that RPM has gotten away from the letter cutouts in the film. I guess they tried that for a while as some folks said there were air bubbles trapped in the letter area. Start the squeegee process in the middle and work out. It is really quite simple.

Reactions: SMAlset
Glad this worked out for you and I am sorry to have made you worry a bit. Also glad that RPM has gotten away from the letter cutouts in the film. I guess they tried that for a while as some folks said there were air bubbles trapped in the letter area. Start the squeegee process in the middle and work out. It is really quite simple.

As all worked out for you, I was sure it would for us too and only had about a day to ponder before it arrived. A process much like hanging wall paper. Did that years ago and a much tougher job. Thanks for the tip and it was good to hear about your experience.