Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Protesting against price.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: Bill Foster
There are some strange inconsistencies in these protesters' stories. For example:

"The owner in question said that Tesla reduced the price of his Model 3 configuration by 5% just a few hours after he ordered it."

I've never heard of Tesla not honoring a price drop after order but before delivery. If the price dropped a few hours after he ordered it, he could have cancelled his order and re-ordered for the lower price.

There are some strange inconsistencies in these protesters' stories. For example:

"The owner in question said that Tesla reduced the price of his Model 3 configuration by 5% just a few hours after he ordered it."

I've never heard of Tesla not honoring a price drop after order but before delivery. If the price dropped a few hours after he ordered it, he could have cancelled his order and re-ordered for the lower price.
You’re right, but the point that Electrek understated and most readers are missing is the fact that Tesla Sales promised free/discounted EAP/FSD functions when NOT cancelling. You can blame the protesters for being gullible, at most.

It’s not, but there are some special snowflakes that can’t understand how car sales work.

Car makers have sales and discount cars but in most cases car prices rise over time they do not drop. When Toyota has a sale or promo you may get a better deal the next day but the car price remains the same for MSRP and never goes down which impacts the resale value of the car. So if someone gets $3500 off on a sale the MSRP of both buyers still remains the same unlike Tesla where it possible to buy a new car at times for less than the same used one. I can't think of where a Toyota Tacoma has a dropping MSRP that would impact resale value. What Tesla does is unique unless someone can point me to car makers that permanently lower MSRP on the same model year car or even new model years of the same car.

Car makers have sales and discount cars but in most cases car prices rise over time they do not drop. When Toyota has a sale or promo you may get a better deal the next day but the car price remains the same for MSRP and never goes down which impacts the resale value of the car. So if someone gets $3500 off on a sale the MSRP of both buyers still remains the same unlike Tesla where it possible to buy a new car at times for less than the same used one. I can't think of where a Toyota Tacoma has a dropping MSRP that would impact resale value. What Tesla does is unique unless someone can point me to car makers that permanently lower MSRP on the same model year car or even new model years of the same car.

Discounts from MSRP by dealers have the same effect if they are widespread. I'm sure the $12k discounts being offered on Chevy bolts by dealers nowadays are tanking resale value about as much as a drop in MSRP would.

Reactions: SmartElectric
Discounts from MSRP by dealers have the same effect if they are widespread. I'm sure the $12k discounts being offered on Chevy bolts by dealers nowadays are tanking resale value about as much as a drop in MSRP would.

The do not change the MSRP which effects many things. Discounts and incentives are not the same as dropping car prices which I have never seen, year after year car prices go up not down. Tesla does the dart board approach to pricing, people all understand sales and promotions with cars not MSRP reductions which is a new thing.

• Disagree
Reactions: Sherlo and Matt L
You’re right, but the point that Electrek understated and most readers are missing is the fact that Tesla Sales promised free/discounted EAP/FSD functions when NOT cancelling. You can blame the protesters for being gullible, at most.

Ah you're right, I was completely missing that context.

Still, gullibility and basic math. Assuming these guys ordered the LR RWD, 5% of the purchase price is more than the price of AP... Even if some Tesla sales rep offered them free AP or discounted FSD, cancelling and reordering still would have been a better deal.

Discounts and incentives are not the same as dropping car prices which I have never seen, year after year car prices go up not down

My very first new car purchase was a Ford compact sedan in 1989. It was $13K MSRP. Two years later, Ford dropped the MSRP to $10K, that's nearly a 25% drop. MSRP do absolutely drop for a wide variety of cars, depends on the reasons, local production is just one possibility.

Reactions: bijan