Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Proximity sensor playing up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got a problem on way home from work. The driver side rear corner of the car shows a red arc which normally means you are parking near something. It only happens when driving along. I have tried cleaning the parking sensors but it is still doing it. Has anyone got any ideas or do I just have a bad sensor? It’s always there now. Thanks.
IMG_0856.png

You can enter the secret service menu and you can then see better diagnostics, I can’t remember how but I’m sure a Google will bring il the method.

I take it you’ve tried to give it a clean already?
Hi. Yes cleaned all the sensors and the service menu shows the sensors all green. It doesn’t actually show anything wrong until the car is moving though and I guess you can’t leave the service menu on for that can you?

I had a weird bug once with the first version of the tesla vision park assist where it constantly showed as something in proximity to the rear of the car. A two button reset didnt work but letting the car sleep and then driving it again the following morning it had cleared itself.

You can leave the service menu on while driving. It’s what the mobile tech did to help diagnose a similar issue with mine.

In my case it turned out to be a spider living behind the numberplate spinning a web across the sensor. Each time I cleaned it, unbeknownst to me the little sod would pop back out and rebuild its home.

:rolleyes:

Hi. Yes cleaned all the sensors and the service menu shows the sensors all green. It doesn’t actually show anything wrong until the car is moving though and I guess you can’t leave the service menu on for that can you?
You probably can but I’d only do it somewhere very safe.

I’ve see the proximity sensors a lot when I’m driving and I’m not sure on the move they’re the USS but something generated from the cameras, simply because I get indications from hedgerows etc which are further away than you’d expect to trigger the sensor. I’m completely guessing albeit possible my an educated guess, but maybe take a look at the cameras and see if any of them have an issue, I’d have thought the offside front indicator camera that’s looking backwards

Couldn’t drive in service mode. It’s limited to 7mph so didn’t get up to the speed to show the sensor. After letting it sleep over night it’s still the same. It’s a pain because I have a service request open while they get me a new tail light due to water ingress. It won’t let me open a new ticket so I have had to send a message on this service request about this sensor issue.

Yeah. It used to be actively unhelpful with the distance measurements, but the fog of doom isn’t as bad. Could be lots better tho, like being able to activate the fog screen when needed for front parking, a Birds Eye view for curbs etc but at least the ADHD powered squiggly lines are gone 😮‍💨