Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA: Car Needs Service, Power Reduced. Error dis_w126

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just has this occur and couldn’t find the exact error code (dis_w126) anywhere online so I thought I’d share. Coming off a supercharger I suddenly got a turtle icon and error: Car Needs Service, Power Reduced dis_w126

My 2019 MX would then only go 63mph on the freeway and steering wheel reset didn’t fix it. Called Tesla roadside and they verified everything was safe and said to try a full power cycle (which did fix the problem). TESLA service just checked everything out and it appeared to come from a glitch in the battery coolant monitor when it was charging.

Waiting to see if it happens again...

• Informative
Reactions: mswlogo and cwerdna
I receive this error almost daily, but it literally doesn't reduce power. Had in for service several times and they continue to tell me they can't produce it, but it is likely a fault in the DC system.

Attachments

• DIS-w126 Power Reduced (2).jpg
    DIS-w126 Power Reduced (2).jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 996
My Model X has experienced this message (power limited - please schedule service) 2x this weekend while on road trip, losing power while driving on freeway in 96 degree heat (car has tow package but I wasn't towing at the time). My first time with Emergency Roadside Service (after 2 hang ups and over hour wait), they said they couldn't diagnose remotely and I required tow to service center. After tow to Service Center, it was closed and Sales couldn't provide loaner. Warning message went away so I began driving home, only to have warning appear half hour later and lose acceleration on freeway again. Lucky to coast into hotel at offramp and now have to wait until Monday for mobile service. If tow is required again, Tesla will not pay, stating only one tow per warranty issue. Is this a known issue with Model X? Advice? This experience has been a nightmare and making me re-think owning a Tesla.

My Model X has experienced this message (power limited - please schedule service) 2x this weekend while on road trip, losing power while driving on freeway in 96 degree heat (car has tow package but I wasn't towing at the time). My first time with Emergency Roadside Service (after 2 hang ups and over hour wait), they said they couldn't diagnose remotely and I required tow to service center. After tow to Service Center, it was closed and Sales couldn't provide loaner. Warning message went away so I began driving home, only to have warning appear half hour later and lose acceleration on freeway again. Lucky to coast into hotel at offramp and now have to wait until Monday for mobile service. If tow is required again, Tesla will not pay, stating only one tow per warranty issue. Is this a known issue with Model X? Advice? This experience has been a nightmare and making me re-think owning a Tesla.
I have been getting this message off and on and lately whenever I go over the hills in Mt. Shasta. Power gets limited to like 45 KW and supercharges at 32 KWh. Currently with Fremont Service center for diagnosis. Will let you know. Few weeks ago, AC busted and had to pay $4K for that since my 2017 Model X is out of warranty (68K miles) . I also regret owning a Model X now since I don't think they designed it for frequent supercharges (AC gets used more than a normal ICE car) for battery cooling and motors (?).

Accidentally, I bumped into a Tesla engineer (working on HVAC subsystem) driving a plaid Model X test car charging at Dublin supercharger and asked him about these issues. He said Tesla improves everything once in about 3 years roughly and suggested to get newer Model X because they re-did completely the super Manifold and works much better than the first generation cars.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: gangzoom
He said Tesla improves everything once in about 3 years roughly and suggested to get newer Model X because they re-did completely the super Manifold and works much better than the first generation cars.
A company that built it self on the image of 'sustainable transport' and the advice is to treat a $100k like a throw away product.

What a joke.