Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA: Charge door sensor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a June 2018 build model 3. The other night I was plugging in the charger in the dark and accidentally tapped the charge port door with plug. Not hard mind you. A moderate tap. I heard something fall to the ground so out came my phone flashlight. I found a diamond-shaped piece of black plastic (see photo). I took it inside for the night.

Next morning I removed the charger and the door closed. All seemed normal, but I could hear the door servo motor trying/straining to close the door further over and over. Motor noise....motor noise... In daylight I took a look at the backside of the door and found the diamond-shaped recess that fit the missing piece. I went inside and got some DAP super glue, applied a few dots, and clamped it back in place with a bag clip until dry. I don't know what glue they are using at the factory, but it was definitely not sufficient in this case. I retested the door with the piece/sensor back in place and no more motor straining. It must be a magnetic pickup sensor to detect fully closed position.

Anyway, if you are getting odd behavior from your charge port door, check for a missing sensor piece. If it's missing, there will be a recess. If the sensor is there, it will sit flush with the surrounding plastic on the back of the door.

Attachments

• port_sensor.jpg
    port_sensor.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 80
  • port_door.jpg
    port_door.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 65
Reactions: webdbbt
Part fell off charge port cover!

Wonder if they've improved it in the past few months. Never good to be using glue to hold things together on parts that are constantly moving and exposed to elements.
Didnt see this thread, thanks! I think I'll run a tiny bead of sealant around the edges to prevent water infiltration and keep it better secured. Looks like folks have had them fall off again even with super glue. Grrrrr.

Mine’s gone. I think it fell out when it was at the SC. I thought it’s only function was for opening the charge port by touch? I haven’t heard any servo noises from the port since it’s been gone and functions fine otherwise with the exception of opening if I touch the charge port. I’ve read in other threads that Tesla SC doesn’t stock the sensors and the only way to get a replacement sensor is to have the entire charge port replaced which seems pretty wasteful to me. Anyone have any luck getting just a replacement sensor at the SC?