Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA: Don't use third-party apps and services, period.

How do you use Third-Party Apps/Services?

• I used to use them, and I will continue to do so

Votes: 172 41.0%
  • I used to use them, but now I will probably stop (and change my password!)

Votes: 34 8.1%
  • Will use them at some point in the future, despite non-ideal circumstances

Votes: 11 2.6%
  • Never used 'em, won't use them until Tesla supports them better

Votes: 95 22.6%
  • Never used 'em, never will

Votes: 108 25.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's more fun to make fun of an app I have no use for myself. I could drive all the way around the island on one charge if there were a coastal road all the way around. And still, if running consumption requires a re-route, I'd say you cut it way too fine in your original route plan.

Some people on the mainland live in places where superchargers are far enough away that weather makes or breaks their trip. There are stretches of highway near me where if it's winter temperatures and raining, you're absolutely going to be stranded and I don't even live in a particularly large state. Hell, there are major swaths of the continental US where if you need to make a round trip drive, you can't possibly reach a supercharger because they were designed for road trips driving in a straight line through an area not for people living in that area.

I'd say you cut it way too fine in your original route plan.
You could, but you can in ABRP, for instance, say "route me from Los Angeles, CA to Miama, FL. I don't want my SoC to be expected to get below 15%." Usually the Tesla's built in router will try to get just about the very last free electron out of the battery before you coast into the supercharger spot at 0% SoC. ABRP lets you specify preferred arrival and departure SoC, schedule overnight stops to do such wacky things as sleep, and so forth.

As such, if ABRP reroutes you to a closer charger because actual consumption put you inside your 15% margin, whether you 'cut it too fine' is subject to interpretation much more so than with the OEM routing (which tries to cut things finely).

Mostly it uses your actual Whr/mile etc to better predict SoC and increase accuracy of routing to superchargers when planning. This is not real-time data, just historical driving, so it can get some insights into your driving patterns.

Some people on the mainland live in places where superchargers are far enough away that weather makes or breaks their trip. There are stretches of highway near me where if it's winter temperatures and raining, you're absolutely going to be stranded and I don't even live in a particularly large state. Hell, there are major swaths of the continental US where if you need to make a round trip drive, you can't possibly reach a supercharger because they were designed for road trips driving in a straight line through an area not for people living in that area.

You could, but you can in ABRP, for instance, say "route me from Los Angeles, CA to Miama, FL. I don't want my SoC to be expected to get below 15%." Usually the Tesla's built in router will try to get just about the very last free electron out of the battery before you coast into the supercharger spot at 0% SoC. ABRP lets you specify preferred arrival and departure SoC, schedule overnight stops to do such wacky things as sleep, and so forth.

As such, if ABRP reroutes you to a closer charger because actual consumption put you inside your 15% margin, whether you 'cut it too fine' is subject to interpretation much more so than with the OEM routing (which tries to cut things finely).

I'm confused: drtimhill says it's not using real-time data, but DrDabbles and DopeGhoti (great username, BTW) imply that it is using real-time data.

The above highlights that we have a ways to go before EVs are as convenient as stinkers.

And I still don't see how ABRP will be any help if changing weather conditions make it impossible to reach the next supercharger. The car tells you how far it thinks you can go on your remaining charge and your route plan should tell you how far it is between superchargers, so a quick bit of arithmetic will tell you if you can make it or not. And if not, you shouldn't need an app to tell you to divert to an alternate supercharger, if there is one.

I'm confused: drtimhill says it's not using real-time data, but DrDabbles and DopeGhoti (great username, BTW) imply that it is using real-time data.

The above highlights that we have a ways to go before EVs are as convenient as stinkers.

And I still don't see how ABRP will be any help if changing weather conditions make it impossible to reach the next supercharger. The car tells you how far it thinks you can go on your remaining charge and your route plan should tell you how far it is between superchargers, so a quick bit of arithmetic will tell you if you can make it or not. And if not, you shouldn't need an app to tell you to divert to an alternate supercharger, if there is one.

ABRP queries the car when you are planning a route to get data such as historical Whr/mile .. it can then use this to better compute SoC and where you will need to charge based on your preferences. Whether that is "real time" or not depends on your definition. Generally, ABRP is amazingly accurate when it comes to figuring out charging needs (and, to be fair, so is the car Nav system).

And yes, it can't predict unexpected stuff like weather, diversions etc, which is why I always leave a 25% reserve charge (something you can specify in ABRP). The car can't do that, it optimizes for minimal number of charging stops.

The car can navigate from place to place, without waypoints, and without allowance for your charging preferences. ABRP can do that and much more. If you think that's worthless, then just dont get the app .. simple as that. Many others here think its a great app. YMMV, and not everyone lives on a small Hawaiian island.

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
ABRP queries the car when you are planning a route to get data such as historical Whr/mile .. it can then use this to better compute SoC and where you will need to charge based on your preferences. Whether that is "real time" or not depends on your definition. Generally, ABRP is amazingly accurate when it comes to figuring out charging needs (and, to be fair, so is the car Nav system).

And yes, it can't predict unexpected stuff like weather, diversions etc, which is why I always leave a 25% reserve charge (something you can specify in ABRP). The car can't do that, it optimizes for minimal number of charging stops.

The car can navigate from place to place, without waypoints, and without allowance for your charging preferences. ABRP can do that and much more. If you think that's worthless, then just dont get the app .. simple as that. Many others here think its a great app. YMMV, and not everyone lives on a small Hawaiian island.

You're totally ignoring the fact that you can put the app (or the page on the web browser in the car) into "navigate" mode, where it polls the vehicle's position, speed, consumption, etc. If you spring for the Premium features, you also get Premium - A Better RoutePlanner

Good information, but actually no, the car does not optimize for minimal number of stops. It comes closer to minimizing total charge time over a long trip; and other factors. I also like to have a larger margin like 25% for unexpected problems on occasion.

Good information, but actually no, the car does not optimize for minimal number of stops. It comes closer to minimizing total charge time over a long trip; and other factors. I also like to have a larger margin like 25% for unexpected problems on occasion.
Thats a subtle differene and not sure it agrees with my experience. Minimized charge time would tend to favor keeping the SoC in the “fast charge” band but in my experience it seems to favor fewer stops with deep SoC swings. Either way the point remains that ABRP is far more flexible than the nav system when it comes to route planning.

Reactions: willow_hiller
Thats a subtle differene and not sure it agrees with my experience. Minimized charge time would tend to favor keeping the SoC in the “fast charge” band but in my experience it seems to favor fewer stops with deep SoC swings. Either way the point remains that ABRP is far more flexible than the nav system when it comes to route planning.
Sure I get your point. I'm only stating based on my coast to coast road trips and some knowledge of the firmware. In some cases, it has saved me up to an hour of charging on a long all day trip by stopping more times with shorter charges. So for me, not so subtle. Yea, I have also found ABRP to be good at many things on route planning. A nice app. My point was not to make a comparison between ABRP and the car. Just saying that the car does not minimize number of charges on a long trip as stated. :)

I usually set ABRP to 15-20% SOC remaining when I arrive at a charger. That means if I need to make a detour for some reason, I don't have to worry, and during the winter with 20% remaining target I'm at complete peace of mind that I can make the cabin as hot as I want, drive +10 over the speed limit, drive through changing conditions, etc.

I usually set ABRP to 15-20% SOC remaining when I arrive at a charger. That means if I need to make a detour for some reason, I don't have to worry, and during the winter with 20% remaining target I'm at complete peace of mind that I can make the cabin as hot as I want, drive +10 over the speed limit, drive through changing conditions, etc.
yes, amen on that. It's very close to what I do as well.

I don't have the interest in reading this entire thread as I read this last page and it has nothing to do with the warning from the OP. Did everyone realize somewhere during the thread that Tesla now can be logged into w/o giving your password to the 3P app? That the 3P app simply asks Tesla to log in and a small Tesla page opens like all those sites that want you to log in with your Google ID?

So assuming you trust the 3P app you can safely log into them now w/o worry that they will come to your house with a moving van and steal your car all the contents of your house? Although if they know your car is home wouldn't you ALSO be home?

This seems like a very confused warning now that it is no longer 2019.

I don't have the interest in reading this entire thread as I read this last page and it has nothing to do with the warning from the OP. Did everyone realize somewhere during the thread that Tesla now can be logged into w/o giving your password to the 3P app? That the 3P app simply asks Tesla to log in and a small Tesla page opens like all those sites that want you to log in with your Google ID?

So assuming you trust the 3P app you can safely log into them now w/o worry that they will come to your house with a moving van and steal your car all the contents of your house? Although if they know your car is home wouldn't you ALSO be home?

This seems like a very confused warning now that it is no longer 2019.

In the person's initial post they mention the tokens, and all of the apps early on allowed you to enter a raw token string rather than supplying username and password. But yes, OAuth makes this even easier. The initial concern was vastly overstated to begin with, presuming of course you trust the third party app in the first place.

Reactions: drtimhill