Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA: Homelink auto open left our garage open overnight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I never enabled Auto Close and disabled the Auto Open after my garage door opened 3 times in 2 nights while the car was parked in it. Actually, the 2nd night it opened even though I'd already disabled Auto Open, so I also wiped all the stored codes in the opener and paired it with Homelink again. I'm thinking maybe it picked up on a neighbor's opener when I programmed it the first time, but it doesn't make sense that then it would only happen at night while the car was parked.

As for LED bulbs, I had issues closing my door when leaving (I back in, so front out first.) Removing one of my LED bulbs (an IKEA one that also buzzed slightly) resulted in the issue closing the door being resolved. The Homelink signal is definitely coming from the front of the car, so it's much weaker when the back of the car is facing the garage. I guess the LED bulbs can cause just enough interference that it works with a remote that has a relatively clear line of sight to the garage, or when the front is facing the garage, but not when the back is.

As a side pitch, I have set up my home using Home Assistant which is fantastic for integrating smart devices. So I have scripts that do things like close the garage door if no one is home and send an alert to my phone, close the garage door at 10:30pm, etc. I also have a garage door sensor so it is "stateful". And yep, it integrates with your Tesla. I also wouldn't trust the auto close/open since it is not stateful, but with Home Assistant it is, so I need to get around to setting that up for it.

Tesla

It's still technical but they main developer got hired to code for it full time so it has made some great strides in user friendliness. DM me if you want more info, I used to be a developer on the project but lack the time these days.

As a side pitch, I have set up my home using Home Assistant which is fantastic for integrating smart devices. So I have scripts that do things like close the garage door if no one is home and send an alert to my phone, close the garage door at 10:30pm, etc. I also have a garage door sensor so it is "stateful". And yep, it integrates with your Tesla. I also wouldn't trust the auto close/open since it is not stateful, but with Home Assistant it is, so I need to get around to setting that up for it.

Tesla

It's still technical but they main developer got hired to code for it full time so it has made some great strides in user friendliness. DM me if you want more info, I used to be a developer on the project but lack the time these days.

yup. i did this years ago and it has been a godsend...i never have to worry about leaving the garage door open, if it's open longer than 15 minutes during the day or 5 minutes at night, home assistant auto closes it.

yup. i did this years ago and it has been a godsend...i never have to worry about leaving the garage door open, if it's open longer than 15 minutes during the day or 5 minutes at night, home assistant auto closes it.

What happens if you are working in your garage on the weekend or cleaning it out, etc for more than 15 minutes?
Does it automatically close on you? Does it give you a warning of any kind?
Can you put an object in the path of the safety beam to stop it?

Long ago I once had a big chunk of foam in the garage that accidentally leaned against the door on the side away from my car.
When the door opened it fell down, blocking the beam. This was hidden from me as I backed out.
I pushed the remote button to close and drove away...of course the door didn't close.
Luckily I noticed and fixed it.

What happens if you are working in your garage on the weekend or cleaning it out, etc for more than 15 minutes?

before going out to garage: "alexa, turn off garage door automations." or, go into HASS on my phone and switch them off myself.

Does it automatically close on you? Does it give you a warning of any kind?

if you don't turn the automations off, yes it will automatically close on me anyway (w/ no warning other than hearing it close), but...

Can you put an object in the path of the safety beam to stop it?

yes, and we have occasionally done this as well if we're already outside and have forgotten to stop the automations before going outside. most of the time though i know i'm going to be working in the garage or yard for an extended period, i just turn the automations off. the other beautiful thing is that when the garage door closes, i have it set to automatically turn them back on...so i never have to worry about turning them off (basically pausing them) and then forgetting to turn them back on. the system does it on its own as soon as i close the door.