Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA: YOU (or someone on your account) Must pick up your wheel awards

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3 / Y, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
It seems to me that a lot of people are trying to sell their referral wheel awards. I am eligible for the Model 3 wheel award, and was looking at the FAQs around the award. To find this information, access the loot box app, click "learn more", and you find the referral program FAQs.

Among these faq's you can find the following (word for word).
============================
(question)
"My award wheels have arrived at my local service center. Can someone else pick up the wheels on my behalf?"

(answer)
"Wheel awards can only be picked up by the individuals indicated on your Tesla account"
===========================

So, for all of you selling, AND for all of you considering BUYING these awards from someone, if they say "I can ship them to any service center in the country", they absolutely can select any service center... but they have to be the one who picks them up from the service center, not you, the person buying it.

Thats likely going to cause a LOT of upset people, as there is the very real possibility that someone selects a service center they can not actually get to for pickup, and the wheels are there "stuck" awaiting the person who picked them up (not the person who bought them from said person).

At that point, we would likely see a bunch of posts about how "unfair" tesla is, and " its my award, I should be able to have it delivered where I want" etc. The information is right there, anyone who has this award can verify the above text in their own loot box app.

So, people selling, you will need to pick up these wheels and THEN sell them. No free lunch of just selling them, collecting the money, and then ordering them to be picked up somewhere you arent. If you are selling them, you should get them in hand before attempting to sell them (since you will have to be the one getting them in hand anyway).

how about having it installed on other's car instead of picking up the wheels? Is it still the same deal that the Tesla service center will only install on the car of the person who got the referral award or you can have it installed on any Tesla of your choice?

Seems if you let service center know the name of person who will be getting reward they can be transferred. Others have been having success too, looking at older posts on the forum. Service center rep at Costa Mesa said other people have been able to change the name and install on a different car. Reason for having them go directly to service center is so buyer can get them installed at time of pickup.

Believe an email will be sent to you after confirming the wheels and you can inform Tesla service at that point you want it installed on a different car and send email to buyer.

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat. I originally listed my Arachnids for sale and to have them ship to whatever service center, but decided against it. From what I've read, it really depends on the service center if they are willing to release them to another customer or not. Like turtlesz stated, Costa Mesa seems to be OK with it, but another forum member had some issues because their service center would not release them. I have yet to receive any confirmation email from Tesla regarding the wheels....same with the wall chargers. The chargers just happened to appear at my front door a couple of weeks ago w/o any prior notification of shipping. My Lootbox still says that they are "Scheduled".

While @jjrandorin is 100% correct in that those are the rules, but in reality, "it depends".

Pretty much every set of Arachnid wheels I've sold (as well as bought or picked up for a friend), the service center allowed the buyer to pick them up and get them mounted, or I was able to pick up a set at my local service center that a few friends had won, and I was selling/shipping for them.

If you have a good relationship with the people at your local service center (as a buyer), there's a good chance they'll work with you. When the wheels arrive at the destination service center, they'll call the referral award winner (the seller) to let them know they arrived. When I've had to do this, I just tell them my friend/associate is going to pick them up, and can you please mount them on their car. Provide their contact information and VIN. The buyer can then contact the SC to arrange pickup/installation.

But yes, there have been some reports of service centers "sticking to the rules" and refusing to help out or deliver/install the wheels to someone other than the referral award winner.

In one case, the wheels were sent to my local service center, but my buyer backed out, and the service center volunteered, FOR FREE, to re-ship the wheels to a different service center where a new buyer was located.

So of course, IANAL, YMMV, yadda, yadda, yadda... every case is different. In my experience in dealing with probably 10 sets of Arachnids in both directions, I've never had a problem. If you are polite, kind, and considerate of the service center staff, they'll likely treat you in-kind. Bringing donuts or snacks the entire crew can enjoy also helps. ;)

It seems to me that a lot of people are trying to sell their referral wheel awards. I am eligible for the Model 3 wheel award, and was looking at the FAQs around the award. To find this information, access the loot box app, click "learn more", and you find the referral program FAQs.

Among these faq's you can find the following (word for word).
============================
(question)
"My award wheels have arrived at my local service center. Can someone else pick up the wheels on my behalf?"

(answer)
"Wheel awards can only be picked up by the individuals indicated on your Tesla account"
===========================

So, for all of you selling, AND for all of you considering BUYING these awards from someone, if they say "I can ship them to any service center in the country", they absolutely can select any service center... but they have to be the one who picks them up from the service center, not you, the person buying it.

Thats likely going to cause a LOT of upset people, as there is the very real possibility that someone selects a service center they can not actually get to for pickup, and the wheels are there "stuck" awaiting the person who picked them up (not the person who bought them from said person).

At that point, we would likely see a bunch of posts about how "unfair" tesla is, and " its my award, I should be able to have it delivered where I want" etc. The information is right there, anyone who has this award can verify the above text in their own loot box app.

So, people selling, you will need to pick up these wheels and THEN sell them. No free lunch of just selling them, collecting the money, and then ordering them to be picked up somewhere you arent. If you are selling them, you should get them in hand before attempting to sell them (since you will have to be the one getting them in hand anyway).

are you selling your wheel awards?
if so, I’m local to your neighborhood
and would pay reasonable amount
for a set model 3 20” sport wheels?

as a buyer, I'd prefer the seller to have the wheels in hand before I part ways with my cash vs. potential issues with Tesla in the mix

Also, the wheel market is getting flooded with Arachnids + T-Sportline also carries replicas in other bolt patterns and wheel specs, so these aren't 'so special' anymore and the prices will soon reflect that regardless what price Tesla has listed

While @jjrandorin is 100% correct in that those are the rules, but in reality, "it depends".

Pretty much every set of Arachnid wheels I've sold (as well as bought or picked up for a friend), the service center allowed the buyer to pick them up and get them mounted, or I was able to pick up a set at my local service center that a few friends had won, and I was selling/shipping for them.

If you have a good relationship with the people at your local service center (as a buyer), there's a good chance they'll work with you. When the wheels arrive at the destination service center, they'll call the referral award winner (the seller) to let them know they arrived. When I've had to do this, I just tell them my friend/associate is going to pick them up, and can you please mount them on their car. Provide their contact information and VIN. The buyer can then contact the SC to arrange pickup/installation.

But yes, there have been some reports of service centers "sticking to the rules" and refusing to help out or deliver/install the wheels to someone other than the referral award winner.

In one case, the wheels were sent to my local service center, but my buyer backed out, and the service center volunteered, FOR FREE, to re-ship the wheels to a different service center where a new buyer was located.

So of course, IANAL, YMMV, yadda, yadda, yadda... every case is different. In my experience in dealing with probably 10 sets of Arachnids in both directions, I've never had a problem. If you are polite, kind, and considerate of the service center staff, they'll likely treat you in-kind. Bringing donuts or snacks the entire crew can enjoy also helps. ;)

What has been the turn around time after placing the order for the referral set? Did you require buyer to pay up front before taking possession of the wheels?

What has been the turn around time after placing the order for the referral set? Did you require buyer to pay up front before taking possession of the wheels?

Anywhere from one month to 10 months for me and my friends. I think other people have waited a year. I'm still waiting for one last set that appears to have been lost.. made that order more than 6 months ago and repeated emails to the referral program to find/resolve the issue have gone unanswered. The Loot box says they've been delivered to the service center, but they never actually showed up.

In my most extreme case (10 months) the buyer paid 100% up front... but since it was taking so long and they were getting very impatient over the wait (they missed using them last summer), I sent him back $100 as interest. So do whatever you and the buyer are comfortable with.. just realize it could be a long, looooong wait (or not, it's Tesla).

Anywhere from one month to 10 months for me and my friends. I think other people have waited a year. I'm still waiting for one last set that appears to have been lost.. made that order more than 6 months ago and repeated emails to the referral program to find/resolve the issue have gone unanswered. The Loot box says they've been delivered to the service center, but they never actually showed up.

In my most extreme case (10 months) the buyer paid 100% up front... but since it was taking so long and they were getting very impatient over the wait (they missed using them last summer), I sent him back $100 as interest. So do whatever you and the buyer are comfortable with.. just realize it could be a long, looooong wait (or not, it's Tesla).

Wow. This is an insane process. Not sure who would drop thousands of dollars on maybe getting a set of wheels in 10 months and maybe getting turned away at the SC since it's technically not allowed. Especially since most of these sales are with non-established forum members.

• Informative
Reactions: 2012MS85
I got bit by this. I gave the guy selling them 100% up-front and after being assured they'd let me do it at my SC, they ultimately said no. I suspect it's because the rims came in and they either lost them, didn't contact the owner, or something else, but the original seller refunded me in full.

So even when you get their okay, the SC still may bail on it as mine did.

are you selling your wheel awards?
if so, I’m local to your neighborhood
and would pay reasonable amount
for a set model 3 20” sport wheels?

No, I am not selling my model 3 referral wheels (or my original 20" wheels that came with my performance model 3). I was just looking through this forum (because I was considering selling the Elon signed HPWC that I got, and wanted to see what the market was). I noticed that, it appears to me that tesla sent out a lot of referral awards recently (see all the posts about people all of a sudden wanting to sell stuff).

I also tend to read the FAQs of stuff so thats why I was in the "learn more" area on the loot box app, and saw what I posted. There were so many posts saying "I can ship them anywhere" and I thought "there are going to be a lot of unhappy people here, and some are going to blame tesla".

I understand there always exceptions to any policy, depending on who you know, etc. I know "I" would certainly not spend "several thousand" with a stranger, on the off chance that a service center is going to break their rules.

Thus, the PSA (public service announcement). Others risk tolerance is different. Some have an "in" at a location or another, etc. Whats important is, what is written down. Thats the policy. No one should EXPECT anything different, although obviously something different can, and has, and will continue to happen.

I like to help people, so was actually trying to prevent issues both for the buyer AND the seller... no ulterior motive.

No, I am not selling my model 3 referral wheels (or my original 20" wheels that came with my performance model 3). I was just looking through this forum (because I was considering selling the Elon signed HPWC that I got, and wanted to see what the market was). I noticed that, it appears to me that tesla sent out a lot of referral awards recently (see all the posts about people all of a sudden wanting to sell stuff).

I also tend to read the FAQs of stuff so thats why I was in the "learn more" area on the loot box app, and saw what I posted. There were so many posts saying "I can ship them anywhere" and I thought "there are going to be a lot of unhappy people here, and some are going to blame tesla".

I understand there always exceptions to any policy, depending on who you know, etc. I know "I" would certainly not spend "several thousand" with a stranger, on the off chance that a service center is going to break their rules.

Thus, the PSA (public service announcement). Others risk tolerance is different. Some have an "in" at a location or another, etc. Whats important is, what is written down. Thats the policy. No one should EXPECT anything different, although obviously something different can, and has, and will continue to happen.

I like to help people, so was actually trying to prevent issues both for the buyer AND the seller... no ulterior motive.

if I were to buy/sell an item not physically possessed,
I would make sure the exchange would happen with
each party made whole or having recourse if the
transaction was interrupted by delivery etc.
to not do so requires more trust than a forum
can deliver.

Reactions: arlorose
I noticed that, it appears to me that tesla sent out a lot of referral awards recently (see all the posts about people all of a sudden wanting to sell stuff).

The referral program has ended and the last day to claim the reward is Feb 28. Hence the flood of referral sales, since, I am guessing, people don’t want to deal with shipping wheels.