Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$4859 Price Adjustment or Free Unlimited Super

Price Adjustment vs FUSC

• Price Adjustment

Votes: 25 58.1%
  • FUSC

Votes: 18 41.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need your help making a decision.

To sum it up, I "picked up" my new car on Jan 13th and noticed some small issues, including a paint problem on the inside of the door. They gave me two options: either reschedule for them to fix everything or take the car now and schedule a service later. Both options involve going to the body shop for the paint issue. I chose to have them fix the car first and then pick it up because I believe they'll take better care of it before selling.

Today, the car is back to the service center and it's ready for me to pick up this Sat, they offered a $4859 price adjustment on the total down payment. The reason for this discount is that the car had damage and went through a third party for repairs. I'm happy about the discount, but I realized they removed my Free Unlimited Supercharging Transfer (FUSC). When I asked, they said FUSC can't overlap with the price adjustment, which I confirmed in the FAQs.

I tried talking to them to get both benefits (lol), but they insisted I could only choose one. Do you think this is legitimate?

My question is, if I can only choose one, which one should I go with? I plan to own the car for 6 years or within 65k miles, and I have 3 supercharging stations nearby. I usually use supercharging once a week and never paid for it before due to FUSC on my old car. Can you provide some advice and share your thoughts? Thank you in advance.

Based on your usage. I would go with the FUSC. I had it on my MS20 before it was totaled and used it as my primary means of charging. Savings were good but I think the convenience factor can't be over looked. I charged when I needed, peak or off peak, not a care in the world. I found it to be incredibly liberating. I explored parts of the city that I wouldn't frequent without it for sure. I would pay $5k to have it back easy.

I need your help making a decision.

To sum it up, I "picked up" my new car on Jan 13th and noticed some small issues, including a paint problem on the inside of the door. They gave me two options: either reschedule for them to fix everything or take the car now and schedule a service later. Both options involve going to the body shop for the paint issue. I chose to have them fix the car first and then pick it up because I believe they'll take better care of it before selling.

Today, the car is back to the service center and it's ready for me to pick up this Sat, they offered a $4859 price adjustment on the total down payment. The reason for this discount is that the car had damage and went through a third party for repairs. I'm happy about the discount, but I realized they removed my Free Unlimited Supercharging Transfer (FUSC). When I asked, they said FUSC can't overlap with the price adjustment, which I confirmed in the FAQs.

I tried talking to them to get both benefits (lol), but they insisted I could only choose one. Do you think this is legitimate?

My question is, if I can only choose one, which one should I go with? I plan to own the car for 6 years or within 65k miles, and I have 3 supercharging stations nearby. I usually use supercharging once a week and never paid for it before due to FUSC on my old car. Can you provide some advice and share your thoughts? Thank you in advance.
If you drive a lot like an Uber then get the free supercharger.

If you are an average drive, get the discount.

My quick math puts that dollar amount at just short of 50,000 miles.

But I've said the same thing as father_of_6. Free charging isn't worth my time. I'd rather pay to charge at home than deal with superchargers.

That said ... I may actually have 50,000 miles of road trip miles on my car in three years. And if I had FUSC I might do more road tripping. And just loan my car to family and friends for their trips.

But yeah, if you're not road tripping I don't think it's worth it.

Reactions: Eric33432
My quick math puts that dollar amount at just short of 50,000 miles.

But I've said the same thing as father_of_6. Free charging isn't worth my time. I'd rather pay to charge at home than deal with superchargers.

That said ... I may actually have 50,000 miles of road trip miles on my car in three years. And if I had FUSC I might do more road tripping. And just loan my car to family and friends for their trips.

But yeah, if you're not road tripping I don't think it's worth it.
The reason I can charge once a week is that I drive my daughter to her drawing class (1.5 hours class), and there is a supercharger right next to her classroom. I usually do grocery shopping and charge while I am waiting for her. I don’t think she will keep going to the same drawing class in the next 5-6 years, but I am sure I will continue grocery shopping in the next 6 years.lol

You should tell them to give you both, or you'll walk away. The $4589 is not an "inventory discount", it's compensation due to a damaged vehicle. Will this damage show up on a carfax? If so, you'll not be able to sell this vehicle for the same price in the future. The $4589 is compensating you for that future loss of value.

It really shouldn't be an either/or thing here.

You should tell them to give you both, or you'll walk away. The $4589 is not an "inventory discount", it's compensation due to a damaged vehicle. Will this damage show up on a carfax? If so, you'll not be able to sell this vehicle for the same price in the future. The $4589 is compensating you for that future loss of value.

It really shouldn't be an either/or thing here.
i tried but they just said I have the option to reject this vin and get another one. Unfortunately you don’t have much room to negotiate with Tesla. They don’t care if you buy or not.

Also, the FUSC transfer policy does say that it doesn’t apply to any price adjustment.

I can try to talk to someone else tomorrow but I don’t think it goes to make much difference.

I also did some research. It looks like they have the responsibility to disclose the repair to me but they don’t have to offer any discount.

IMO, even when supercharging is convenient, not supercharging is still more convenient. I like having FUSC, but I can't put much value on it because I'm not constantly traveling. Outside of road-tripping, of which I've done tons less than I hoped to, unless I didn't have a good home charging solution, I'd much rather charge at home than try to save $5k on my home electricity bill over 65k miles in order to "pay for" the FUSC (as that is now how much it costs you to get FUSC unless you can reject and wait for another, which you'd better be darn sure won't also make you ineligible for the FUSC transfer).

I can try to talk to someone else tomorrow but I don’t think it goes to make much difference.

I think this is true. They probably actually *can't* do it... as in, these things are tightly controlled in their software. MANY posts on these forums confirm a zero tolerance for negotiation / added discounts at Tesla.

This makes me wonder... at what price point does Tesla value FUSC? As in - would they give you a different vehicle without any damage and still give you a $5k discount for not taking FUSC? If that could happen, then there's zero reason to take this one with damage.

That said, I just can't imagine not wanting to charge at home overnight. Of course, I don't pay CA electricity rates.

I think this is true. They probably actually *can't* do it... as in, these things are tightly controlled in their software. MANY posts on these forums confirm a zero tolerance for negotiation / added discounts at Tesla.
I would agree that's probably the case. The software probably doesn't have a way to distinguish between a "discount" versus a "compensation". So if any price markdown is on there, it rejects the FUSC transfer.

Anyway, what they are obligated to provide is two things:
1. A car
2. ...that has FUSC on it.

If they fix it up and deliver it to you, that satisfies condition 1. So if you don't like that it had to be fixed up, you can reject that one and request a new one I guess.

Reactions: Eric33432
As much as I love our two Tessies, and as much as I think Supercharging is no big deal when going on a road trip (and tell that to ICE people who say they would never have an EV), if I could not charge at home for daily driving, I would not have a Tessie.

Be sure this damage will not show up on Car Fax. If it does, do not accept it.

Reactions: evo9rs