Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSEG (Long Island) EV rate plan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I searched but didn't find specific personal stories of people near me who might have switched to an EV/TOU rate plan. PSEG offers a plan here, but requires a 12 month commitment.

Summary Delivery
and Supply Charges
RSRHS
(closed to
new customers)
RLM
Monthly Service Charge$2.43$2.43$13.98
Charges per kWhr:
0-600 Summer0.1819240.171198
Over 600 Summer0.1951460.189212
Summer On-Peak 0.273070
Summer Off-Peak 0.099443
0-600 Winter0.1803610.154733
Over 600 Winter0.1803610.133898
Winter On-Peak 0.216226
Winter Off-Peak 0.102579
The On-Peak time period is defined as the hours of 7:00 AM to 9:00 PM (EST), Monday through Friday. During Daylight Savings Time, all times will move ahead one hour (7:00 AM to 8:00 AM and 9:00 PM to 10:00 PM). All other hours are defined as the Off-Peak time period. Summer is defined as the months of June through September. Winter is defined as the months of October through May.

So before I commit, I wanted to see if anyone else has switched and seen a real savings? My house uses very little before 6pm and I drive about 100 miles per day but right now at the cost of around 65% of the 90% battery rating. It seems I would save about half the cost using the Teslas website calculator, but wanted to see if other Long Islanders have experienced it. Thanks!

Little hard to read your post, but I looked into it for PSEG (in NJ) before and it didn't make sense for us. We only drive about 35 miles a day, so the Tesla doesn't use a ton of juice compared to the rest of our house.

Should be fairly easy to calculate though, just assume your pre-Tesla electric bill is at the peak rate, and the Tesla energy usage is at the low rate and see how it works out.

Little hard to read your post, but I looked into it for PSEG (in NJ) before and it didn't make sense for us. We only drive about 35 miles a day, so the Tesla doesn't use a ton of juice compared to the rest of our house.

Should be fairly easy to calculate though, just assume your pre-Tesla electric bill is at the peak rate, and the Tesla energy usage is at the low rate and see how it works out.

I'm on LI but I think it would be the same for me - I probably drive @30 miles/day, and the increased base rate\day rate would wipe out any saves from the overnight charging, especially in summer with AC and pool pumps running. Thanks to the OP for posting that though, I have been meaning to look into what PSE&G was offering.