Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PTC cabin heater repair

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I have 2017 Model X. About a week ago I smelled burning electronics inside the cabin and almost immediately after that heard a fuse pop. Then it was only cool air coming out of the vents. I knew it was the heater.

I took the PTC heater off and took it apart. There are 6 IGBT-modules controlling the actual heater elements. Heater itself consists of 9 different heating elements. They are controlled as follows; 3 elements have individual IGBT and 6 other elements are paired to one IGBT per two elements. I guess they are shuffled and they are not fully on all the time.

I measured resistance between those 9 elements. Measurements were between 1000 and 1500 ohms. Broken element had more than 33 000 ohm resistance. Also its controlling IGBT was shorted (drain to source). I desoldered the element from control board before measuring. It is relatively easy to measure resistance even if element is still attached to control board.

I desoldered all the IGBTs from control circuit and replaced all but shorted one with new ones. Put the whole element back in the car and replaced hv-fuse in front high voltage junction box. Heater came back alive and did not blow fuse again. One out of nine elements is not providing me heat but it is way better than driving without heat at all. Here in Finland its below zero celcius right now so heat is more than welcome. 😀

Ranger quoted me 1300€+ for replacing the elements + fuse. Replacement IGBTs were 70€ including shipping fees. Replacement fuse was about 50€ from Tesla. I could have sourced it for about 10€ but I was in hurry to get it.

I will post some pictures with explanations soon.

Or if anyone from Seattle here, suggestions for a Seattle area shop that can do this for somewhat lesser price tag? Or any Seattle area Tesla DIY experts who can chip in to help me out here? TIA!
@mr_hyde and @howardc64 are both DIYers in Seattle

or lifting the car up and trying to access it from below.
I don't think u will get to anything from below as the HV pack is in the way...

Oh, forgot to mention that in my previous post. If I remember right official way of doing is was by dropping battery. Maybe it also explains bigger quote.
i thought that was only for battery heater but maybe its needed to get to the fuse, i'll have to look at service manuals again..

have a look here (u can do it w/o removing HV pack):

Reactions: subbuhere
i thought that was only for battery heater but maybe its needed to get to the fuse, i'll have to look at service manuals again..

have a look here (u can do it w/o removing HV pack):
Thank you ...this is how I'm planning to do.