Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Public charging station... You're doing it wrong.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Went to a Tim Hortons and they had a public charging station. Was susprised that i couldn't get my tesla J1772 adapter to fit on the nozzle of the charging station plug/hose in order to plug my car in. There was a second piece below the J1772 piece that blocked the tesla adapter and made it impossible.

Am I doing it wrong or did they? This is one of those province of Ontario ones. A bit annoying if it excludes Tesla.
26220476279_beec3cbf1e_z.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: bro1999
@sakimano,

That is a CCS fast charger. These chargers feed high voltage, high current power directly to the car's battery, like Tesla's superchargers do. To use a DC fast charger like this with a Tesla it must be one that also has a Chademo plug (kind of like pumps have gas and diesel nozzles). You also will need Tesla's Chademo adapter.

The J1772 adapter that comes with the car is for L2 chargers. They feed AC power to the car's on-board charger(s).

GSP

• Helpful
Reactions: mattcrowley
@sakimano,

That is a CCS fast charger. These chargers feed high voltage, high current power directly to the car's battery, like Tesla's superchargers do. To use a DC fast charger like this with a Tesla it must be one that also has a Chademo plug (kind of like pumps have gas and diesel nozzles). You also will need Tesla's Chademo adapter.

The J1772 adapter that comes with the car is for L2 chargers. They feed AC power to the car's on-board charger(s).

GSP
Ahh ok. Thanks. Good luck next month

We should contact Tesla to request a CCS adapter. Also, whenever you see a charging station that has a high session cost, let's request the operator lowers it. Perhaps $2 hourly would be fair for CHAdeMO / CCS, otherwise people may simply go elsewhere. If the cost is per kW, $0.10 - $0.20 / kW is probably fair (depending on electricity rates for the area).

whenever you see a charging station that has a high session cost, let's request the operator lowers it

KSI doesn't answer to phone calls, or emails, so I doubt you'll get anywhere.

My bet, KSI is deploying stations with exorbitant prices with the hope they are never used, which means the stations might last longer and not need maintenance.

KSI won a deal with Ontario government to deploy half of the fast chargers as part of the program, but their deployments are the highest priced chargers and are unlikely to be used due to poor phone app, poor pricing, poor power (lower kW) and poor service!

• Informative
Reactions: MarcoRP and mrElbe
Yes, there is no Tesla CCS adapter available. On the other hand you were lucky to not get a charge at these exorbitant priced KSI charging stations. $ 15.- / hour at 22 kWh.
Which CHADeMO station are you only getting 22kW from for $15/hr? These stations give up to 50kW, depending on your vehicle. Mine will take up to 42kW IIRC. ~39 being typical at a low state of charge.

KSI won a deal with Ontario government to deploy half of the fast chargers as part of the program, but their deployments are the highest priced chargers and are unlikely to be used due to poor phone app, poor pricing, poor power (lower kW) and poor service!

You mean rich pricing by that, right?

We should contact Tesla to request a CCS adapter. Also, whenever you see a charging station that has a high session cost, let's request the operator lowers it. Perhaps $2 hourly would be fair for CHAdeMO / CCS, otherwise people may simply go elsewhere. If the cost is per kW, $0.10 - $0.20 / kW is probably fair (depending on electricity rates for the area).
There are long threads devoted to this subject. I won't quote them, please search yourself.

Anyway, CCS is part of a standard from an organization called CharIN.
News: Charging Interface Initiative e. V. (CharIN e. V.)
Tesla is a member. CharIN does not presently allow adapters.
In the meantime the CHAdeMO adapter works in the majority of NA CCS stations that are also CHAdeMO equipped. For the time being most DC Fast non-Supercharger stations have ports for both CCS and CHAdeMO.

Yeah, maybe there's something here that everyone else knows but not you. How would you feel if we laughed?
All of us should by now be aware that people new to Tesla are not aware of all the issues that people who've been around for 2-3 years have memorized.
Personally, I'm happy for all the new people. Personally, I don't might answering basic questions.
Personally, I often ask those questions myself despite three years of BEV doing and >100,000 km or BEV driving.
Seems to be @rypalmer laughed at me only a few days ago when I suggests there might be a place for level one in very cold climates.
I don't mind the odd ridicule myself, but I really do not like it when newbys are subject to that for quite logical questions.

KSI doesn't answer to phone calls, or emails, so I doubt you'll get anywhere.

My bet, KSI is deploying stations with exorbitant prices with the hope they are never used, which means the stations might last longer and not need maintenance.

Dig into that... I'm sure in KSI'S ownership group you'll find a friendliness with the liberal party that might taint your view of fairness in politics (if you had one :) )

Reactions: mrElbe and MarcoRP