Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pulled over in new Model X after 15-20 years of hassle free driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in NJ, and they do have laws here against tinting your driver and passenger windows. I know it was a risk to do it, but I see dozens of cars each and every day with tinted windows here. I have not been pulled over by the police in probably 15-20 years, but was pulled over today for having tinted windows.

The officer was very polite and told me why I was pulled over. He looked at my info and said he was not going to ticket me, which seemed very nice of him. I don't know if that trend will hold though. I have only been driving this car for a few days and was pulled over for it. He said many people just pay the fines for window tint and keep on driving with it. I may do the same, but don't know if I will be getting stopped more or what those fines would amount to.

The summers can be hot enough in NJ, especially with that big glass windshield. It is nice to have some protection from the sun, not to mention the car looks so much better with the tint.

It is probably 20% it is meant to match the back windows. I have seen many other cars in the state with plenty dark tints on the passenger and driver side widows. I think I just draw more attention overall because it is a Model X and wrapped in a mat PPF.

NJ gets hot for a few weeks during the summer. You are nowhere near the levels of the South or Arizona and many people in these areas don't get tinted windows. Always remember that if you kick the AC on 1-2 minutes before you get into the car, it's going to be a lot cooler. And don't forget that the car should be keeping itself cool as well.

Just looking at one place on the web for NJ
Tint darkness for sedans:
  • Windshield: No tint is allowed on the windshield.
  • Front Side windows: No tint can be applied legally to this window.
  • Back Side windows: Any darkness can be used.
  • Rear Window: Any darkness can be used.
Tint darkness for SUV and vans:
  • Windshield: No tint is allowed on the windshield.
  • Front Side windows: No tint can be applied legally to this window.
  • Back Side windows: Any darkness can be used.
  • Rear Window: Any darkness can be used.

Source: New Jersey Tint Laws - 2018 & 2019 - Car Tinting Laws
Copyright © Tinting-Laws.com

I live in NJ, and they do have laws here against tinting your driver and passenger windows. I know it was a risk to do it, but I see dozens of cars each and every day with tinted windows here. I have not been pulled over by the police in probably 15-20 years, but was pulled over today for having tinted windows.

In California, the law says you can tint the front side windows, but requires a very low percentage of tint. When I had my Audi tinted, I asked about the front windows, and he said "sure we can put the legal tint on, but you won't be able to see it. It's so light that the only function it has is to filter UV rays." Not worth it.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Police don't like window tint because thay cannot see your hands when performing a traffic stop. You could have a gun pointed right at them and they would never know.

Understandable that they would like to be able to see inside your car when walking up.

Tough. Their perceived fear doesn’t trump my right not to get skin cancer. Get another job if it bothers you.

They can’t see into my house when the shades are down, either. Should window shades be illegal?

I have an idea: How about a simple law that says if your windows are tinted darker than x% you have to roll your window down when pulled over? The police are reassured during the traffic stop and the citizens can be comfortable and protect their cars’ interior the other 99.9999% of the time.

Police don't like window tint because thay cannot see your hands when performing a traffic stop. You could have a gun pointed right at them and they would never know.

Understandable that they would like to be able to see inside your car when walking up.
Wow. That speaks volumes about American life. No thanks.

I always roll my windows down in a traffic stop. Then again, I have not had to do that in about 15-20 years... but my goal is to make the officer feel as safe as possible.

@ewoodrick, I am aware of the NJ state laws, but it does not seem to be enforced (evenly). There are a ton of cars in the state with tinted drivers and passenger side windows. Hell the police officers I know, tint their windows. I was also in no way comparing the summer heat in NJ to Arizona. Just because I was making a comment about how hot it can get in NJ, does not mean I was somehow diminishing how hot it can get elsewhere.

I am also aware of the pre-conditioning. However, I spent a lot of money on the look of my car, and the tint also makes it look very nice and I would prefer not to have to remove it. The fun thing about the state is that it is basically one big suburb for NY and PA. And those states have more relaxed tint laws, so they have a LOT of traffic from those states who tint their windows as well.

Anyway, this was not meant to get into a debate on why or why not to tint a window. Just sharing my experience after driving the car for less than a week. :D

• Helpful
Reactions: X-pilot
It’s not about the US, it’s about states like NJ.
Not even about states but rather parts of states where crime is glorified and accepted.

When I was a child I went to school with a family who's father was a police officer and was executed during a routine traffic stop.

The comparison of cars to homes is idiotic at best for a lot of reasons.

The victim mentality of many here is nauseating, rather than fixate on had the X to Ted for days and got stopped how about " got away with tint a couple decades and finally caught up with me".

EVERYONE who is honest will admit they have not been stopped when they deserved it a hundred times, speeding, not signalling properly, spacing and buzzing thru a stop light as it turns red etc.
Don't cry about it the one time you do get pulled over when doing something wrong.

Reactions: ReddykwRun
Hi SSedan.

You appear to be making a lot of assumptions. I did not have tint on my previous car. I also always signal and drive very safely, hence the major reason I was never pulled over before. I was simply drawing the contrast between my experience in that car, and driving with a new Tesla with tinted side windows. I am certainly not crying about it, but merely sharing the experience so others can learn from it. Maybe it will inform their decision to tint their windows or not.

• Helpful
Reactions: P85_DA
I saw an Infiniti the other day where the entire windshield was tinted so dark i couldn't tell if there was a passenger in the car or not. In MA we can only tint down to the AS1 marker (or 6" from the top) and 35% all around. This car in particular must have had 10% all around. He must be paying fines up the wazo. I also agree that if its UV rays you want to block to reduce the heat then focus on UV blocking tint instead of darkness.

It's amazing how we got 17 replies on this thread and no one ever mentioned the noble idea of following the law :rolleyes:

@Daisame - to answer your question, if they will pull you over everytime - Yes, they CAN and WILL. You may luck out from time to time if a cop is busy or doing something more important (like eating a donut - sorry can't resist :)), but they certainly can.

It's like saying, hey it's illegal to [insert illegal activity here], but I want to [insert illegal activity here] - can I get arrested if I do? SMH

Reactions: X-pilot
It's amazing how we got 17 replies on this thread and no one ever mentioned the noble idea of following the law :rolleyes:

@Daisame - to answer your question, if they will pull you over everytime - Yes, they CAN and WILL. You may luck out from time to time if a cop is busy or doing something more important (like eating a donut - sorry can't resist :)), but they certainly can.

It's like saying, hey it's illegal to [insert illegal activity here], but I want to [insert illegal activity here] - can I get arrested if I do? SMH

Thanks, but I did not actually ask a question. In any case, I will see if it becomes a problem. There are easily tens of thousands of card with tint on the driver and passenger side windows here. Presumably they only stop them when they have nothing better to do, or far fewer would do it. If it becomes a problem or start racking up fines, I will probably just put a very minor tint to help block the IR/UV so it would not be as noticeable.

I live in NJ. Been driving since 94. I have had every car I owned tinted. Always went 35% on sides. My two current weekend vehicles a Collector's 1990 300zx Twin Turbo & my Nissan GT-R (And its loud AF) currently have the 35%. My daily Pathinder had 35% on it for 20 yrs ( just had tint redone and before I could tell them I wanted 35, they matched the backs at 20%. I have yet to be pulled over for tint. My new raven X is at the detailes getting the works and I will be going with matching the rears. I'm hoping I'm not going to start getting pulled over like @Daisame did, but fear that Tesla's are just the hot car now that's getting all the attention. I'll find out shortly lol.