Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purchase a used inventory car from tesla out of state, question or two

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all I live down south and see a few cars up north on the Tesla website. I would like to know whether or not I should have the option of picking the car up north to save $2,000 fee if possible (and see some friends :)

If it matters, they are in New York and New Jersey.

any insight helpful.

J

If you’re talking about the fee Tesla charges to transport a car to you, I would expect you could avoid that by picking up the car where it’s being sold. Note that “used inventory“ is not a thing — the car is either used, which means it was previously owned, or inventory, which means it was never sold.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Hello all I live down south and see a few cars up north on the Tesla website. I would like to know whether or not I should have the option of picking the car up north to save $2,000 fee if possible (and see some friends :)

If it matters, they are in New York and New Jersey.

any insight helpful.

J

If you are willing to drive up to where the car is and take delivery in that state, you shouldn't have to pay the delivery fee. Some states have differing rules regarding temp/transfer tags and registration but your sales advisor should be able to assist there.

Note that “used inventory“ is not a thing — the car is either used, which means it was previously owned, or inventory, which means it was never sold.

"Used inventory" is definitely a thing. Tesla even calls it that on their website menu (image below). "Existing inventory" is new cars and "used inventory" is used cars.

Menu.jpg

"Used inventory" is definitely a thing. Tesla even calls it that on their website menu (image below). "Existing inventory" is new cars and "used inventory" is used cars.
Thanks for the clarification. It’s unfortunate that Tesla is using “inventory“ in both the generic sense (used inventory) and to mean new cars (existing inventory) on that page, because they generally use “inventory“ to mean new cars that are already in a Tesla showroom. For example, some if the end of quarter promotions for inventory cars are only applicable to new inventory cars.

If the car is coming from Tesla, it shouldn't be an issue. If it is coming from another dealer or a personal sale, then it may be problematic. It takes a few days for Tesla to verify that you are the owner of the car and to allow the car to be added to your app and your credit card applied. Until then, you may have to make s seal with the current owner on how you are going to pay them back for the charging.

Thanks for the clarification. It’s unfortunate that Tesla is using “inventory“ in both the generic sense (used inventory) and to mean new cars (existing inventory) on that page, because they generally use “inventory“ to mean new cars that are already in a Tesla showroom. For example, some if the end of quarter promotions for inventory cars are only applicable to new inventory cars.

While Tesla distinguishes between "existing inventory" and "used inventory" on the menu, they simply use "inventory" for the header on both landing pages. Image below is same for both existing and used inventory pages. Even though it's obvious from the URL and vehicle listings which is which, it would probably be better for them to use "existing inventory" for the header on the new cars landing page and "used inventory" for the header on the used cars landing page.

Header.jpg

My understanding and based on other cars I prurchased and picked up at the factory (not Tesla), the delivery fee on the sticker is applied on all cars, even when picked up from the factory. It is for the transportation from the factory to any local Tesla store. I think it is a union thing. Transporting the car from one "dealer" to another may be a different matter.

• Disagree
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
My understanding and based on other cars I prurchased and picked up at the factory (not Tesla), the delivery fee on the sticker is applied on all cars, even when picked up from the factory. It is for the transportation from the factory to any local Tesla store. I think it is a union thing. Transporting the car from one "dealer" to another may be a different matter.

That's only for new cars, not for used.

I personally would be very hesitant about having a used car shipped from Tesla. They have a lot of wiggle room in what is acceptable concerning existing issues on the car. You may say there is an issue and don't want to accept delivery and Tesla will say it is fine. You can be stuck with the delivery fee if you don't take it and it is within "specs" for Tesla.

How unique of a used Tesla are you looking for that you can find it and at a better deal than through Tesla? I encourage you to use Autotempest.com and setup a search. Saved me over $20k rather than going through Tesla.

I personally would be very hesitant about having a used car shipped from Tesla. They have a lot of wiggle room in what is acceptable concerning existing issues on the car. You may say there is an issue and don't want to accept delivery and Tesla will say it is fine. You can be stuck with the delivery fee if you don't take it and it is within "specs" for Tesla.

How unique of a used Tesla are you looking for that you can find it and at a better deal than through Tesla? I encourage you to use Autotempest.com and setup a search. Saved me over $20k rather than going through Tesla.

I'm currently in the market for a Used Model S (Refresh). Are you able to share more about your experience with autotempest? Were you only searching local to you or did you expand your search?

If you had experience buying out of state, I'd love to hear about that as well. I have a trade-in, but I'm fine with selling the car to Carvana and eating the tax savings if I choose that route.

If the car is coming from Tesla, it shouldn't be an issue. If it is coming from another dealer or a personal sale, then it may be problematic. It takes a few days for Tesla to verify that you are the owner of the car and to allow the car to be added to your app and your credit card applied. Until then, you may have to make s seal with the current owner on how you are going to pay them back for the charging.
You can call Tesla direct and as long as you’ve uploaded the proper documents validating purchase, they’ll switch ownership to you in 5 minutes. I did this last month.