Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

purchase an existing inventory Model Y in Texas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
lots of existing Model Y inventories in Texas right now, and they have more than $4000 off. Can I just fly to Texas and buy one there?
I heard that TX allows a non-resident to buy a car there. Can I just get the temporary license there and transfer it back to my own state? Thanks.

There are a few threads where people are trying to do this, like these:

You probably want to check with Tesla for your specific state.

Since when? It was my understanding that you can buy a vehicle from any State, but you will have to pay the sales tax where you live and register it.
No issues with the states - they allow purchasing car from a different state. This is either a restriction from Tesla or sales rep's ignorance. The tesla app won't let you input the out of state address for registration as it thinks you are planning to ship. Local store doesn't know how to do that either. They say Tesla won't let you buy out of state cars, period. Some have luck getting it out of state and driving back. I didn't - I was willing to pay whatever taxes they apply but they needed a proof of address in CA to register. Better to double check with the store before paying the deposit and flying out.

The issue with this kind of thing normally deals with State taxes, and the fact that some states only work with certain other states as far as collecting or not collecting tax on vehicle purchases.

If someone was willing to buy the car and NOT DRIVE IT back (as in. buy it and send a car carrier to pick it up and pay for that on their own), the answer might be different than "I want to drive it back" (just guessing, I dont know for a fact).

I do know that driving it back requires Temp registration, and Some states will require taxes be paid, if the car is sold and driven on the road, regardless of the end registration point.