Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purchasing 2016 or 2018 P100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve reserved a 2016 MS P100D with all options (FSD and 4 yr warranty included) for $93k CAD with Tesla. Stripping out FSD gives cost of approx 82k (not possible buying from Tesla but for easy comparison to below)

There is a 2018 MS P100D private save with all options (no FSD) for $104k and 3 years of warranty left based on purchase date.

Both have approx same amount of km (35000).

Essentially $22 k CAD difference in price. Is there any input on which would be a better choice?

I’ve reserved a 2016 MS P100D with all options (FSD and 4 yr warranty included) for $93k CAD with Tesla. Stripping out FSD gives cost of approx 82k (not possible buying from Tesla but for easy comparison to below)

There is a 2018 MS P100D private save with all options (no FSD) for $104k and 3 years of warranty left based on purchase date.

Both have approx same amount of km (35000).

Essentially $22 k CAD difference in price. Is there any input on which would be a better choice?

I would go with Tesla:

1) 1 more year for warranty
2) FSD included
3) Cheaper

Usually, I would get the newest year due to technological differences. In this case, the above 3 advantages beat the newer year 2018 model.

One concern is: Is it MCU1 or 2? That's because 2016 comes with MCU1, HW2.0 and it's possible to leave the MCU1 the same to work with HW3 but very sluggish and very annoying. It costs additional to upgrade to MCU2 for your 2016 year which is what I would highly recommend.

2018 models get their MCU2 in March/April 2018 so if it's MCU1, you might face the above $2,500 concern.

The next big technological change for me after the above is Raven models in about April 2019. Thus, your choices between those 2 above are not that much of a technological breakthrough/obsolescence.

Reactions: Totezla and kfly212
I concur that you will want MCU2, which came out in March ‘18. Otherwise, the screen is a bit sluggish and you don’t get Sentry, etc. But you could upgrade the 2016. Does the 2018 have Enhanced AP? If so, that gets you most of what actually works for FSD today. It may likely have HW2.5, which functions quite well. Also, does the Tesla FSD purchase include HW3?

I concur that you will want MCU2, which came out in March ‘18. Otherwise, the screen is a bit sluggish and you don’t get Sentry, etc. But you could upgrade the 2016. Does the 2018 have Enhanced AP? If so, that gets you most of what actually works for FSD today. It may likely have HW2.5, which functions quite well. Also, does the Tesla FSD purchase include HW3?

From what I have seen, the 2018 was built prior to MCU2 (Feb build based on VIN).

Unsure about whether 2016 FSD has HW3. Would assume not. I asked about removing FSD and was told that it was not possible.

Is upgrade to HW3 free or does Tesla charge a fee?

From what I have seen, the 2018 was built prior to MCU2 (Feb build based on VIN).

Unsure about whether 2016 FSD has HW3. Would assume not. I asked about removing FSD and was told that it was not possible.

Is upgrade to HW3 free or does Tesla charge a fee?

AFAIK the upgrade to HW3 is free as long as you have FSD.
At least in my case it was. (but i had AP2.5 and i'm in Europe)

...Is upgrade to HW3 free or does Tesla charge a fee?

Yes. All paid FSD will get FSD function for no additional fee. The minimum to get FSD function is HW3, so if your car doesn't have one already you can schedule an appointment for the free upgrade.

Remember, $2,500 MCU2 is optional and not free if you don't want to deal with the slow MCU1. The $2,500 includes the new 17" central screen and the instrument screen displays as well.

For the price difference I think the 2016 is a far better deal.

The differences between a facelift 2016 and a pre-MCU2 2018 are really pretty small. Seats are probably the most noticeable difference (next-gen vs. premium).

The 2016 has FSD so you either have or will get HW3 for free. Upgrade the MCU for $3500 CAD and you're set.

Save the $22k, get more warranty, and basically the same exact car.

For the price difference I think the 2016 is a far better deal.

The differences between a facelift 2016 and a pre-MCU2 2018 are really pretty small. Seats are probably the most noticeable difference (next-gen vs. premium).

The 2016 has FSD so you either have or will get HW3 for free. Upgrade the MCU for $3500 CAD and you're set.

Save the $22k, get more warranty, and basically the same exact car.
Agree.
At that price difference, you’re effectively able to self-insure the difference in warranty coverage.

I know the S isn’t made as “well” as the MY, but it’s a very versatile car, with much better acceleration and ride quality. Can’t wait to see the upcoming refresh, whenever that is