Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purchasing 21" wheels after...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone ordered the 21" wheels separately (from the Tesla Gear section) and had them put on? When I spoke to the service center they said they'd just put them on for me at no cost, but I just noticed there is a secondary option when purchasing the wheels that says "wheels and tire package installed" for $5200, instead of the $3500 for the wheels.
If anyone did this, was there a cost to have the 21" put on?

Has anyone ordered the 21" wheels separately (from the Tesla Gear section) and had them put on? When I spoke to the service center they said they'd just put them on for me at no cost, but I just noticed there is a secondary option when purchasing the wheels that says "wheels and tire package installed" for $5200, instead of the $3500 for the wheels.
If anyone did this, was there a cost to have the 21" put on?

I think the difference there is the word "tires". Both say installed for me, I would assume they would mount some tires you brought in maybe.

I think the difference there is the word "tires". Both say installed for me, I would assume they would mount some tires you brought in maybe.

You are correct, I just spoke with Tesla and they confirmed the $3500 order does not include tires (I assumed it was just like ordering those wheels when you order the car), so the $5200 option would include wheels and tires.

My rep told me it would be much more affordable to just buy the wheels and get the tires elsewhere, but considering you can get wheels and tires for $3500 when you order the car, I'll just do that.

Thanks!

Don't forget the TPM sensors from Tesla are expensive, something like $200 a piece (not sure if they can be purchased elsewhere for less). My local service center was also going to charge for mounting and balancing the tires to the wheels (couple hundred iirc).

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

TPMS Sensors Cost me $125 each at the service center

I purchased 21" Gray wheels from a 3rd party. The wheels were from a Tesla Model S owner that decided to upgrade to 22" aftermarket wheels. I intend to keep my 19" wheels and use those in the colder wet months (not that its that cold nor wet in Southern California), and use the 21" Wheels in the warm months. I decided not to remove the TPMS modules from my 19" wheels to place them in my 21" wheels since 1) they don't match in color and 2) to have an easy time switching from one wheel set to the other without having to keep on swapping the TPMS modules. I only need to go to the service center to have them reset/reprogram my car to match my TPMS modules when I swap them.

It will be nice to to occasionally on a long trip, to have the convenience of keeping a wheel from the set I'm not using in my recessed trunk area for peace of mind.

Don't forget the TPM sensors from Tesla are expensive, something like $200 a piece (not sure if they can be purchased elsewhere for less). My local service center was also going to charge for mounting and balancing the tires to the wheels (couple hundred iirc).

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2