Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purchasing A Northern CA Model 3 Demo Vehicle?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's quite possible that Tesla will overproduce some permutations and if no reservation holders take it for an extended period of time, I could see Tesla dropping it into inventory.
I'd hope that since the configurator will be opened they will produce what's actually wanted by the customers in the quantities desired. I could see this happening when sales fall through though.

I'd hope that since the configurator will be opened they will produce what's actually wanted by the customers in the quantities desired. I could see this happening when sales fall through though.

Oh, true. I would think it would be mostly accurate (maybe they can only do the premium sound upgrade in batches of 500 instead of 100?) and even if someone's exact configuration wasn't found, people might take a mostly-correct car now instead of a perfect one in five months.

I think you guys are being a little harsh on the guy. In April 2016 the SLC, UT Tesla store had Model X Sig 137 or something as it's demo unit, sporting Washington plates iirc. It was available for immediate sale if someone wanted it. The vast majority of reservation holders that had placed firm orders were still months out from getting their cars (but things were getting closer to caught up by May-ish after the great draught in April and the 3rd row recall). I'm guessing the X that was for sale had been a return, likely due to poor build quality (it wasn't a failed sale - it had been partially wrapped and had aftermarket tint; one of the sun visors was broken). Anyhow, my point is that there will be a few odd situations crop up that will allow an inventory or lightly used car to be sold. But with much higher demand, and I dare say a higher tolerance for less-than-perfect-exactly-desired-configuration than Model X buyers, I don't expect them to last long (thinking on the order of hours).

Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq
Depends on how many customers will wait for AWD and/or performance. There may be a slight window between these (and overseas production) coming online and the backlog for the regular US Model 3's cleared. This also assumes that the ramp up goes according to the best possible scenario.