Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla is selling model 3 demo vehicles [12.21.2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That doesnt necessarily have anything to do with Highland. Tesla does this every quarter, and has done so since I bought my car in 2018. Every single quarter they sell as many vehicles as they can, including trying to get rid of demo vehicles.

So, you can not read into that anything other than "tesla selling demo vehicles like they always do".

Highland could be coming to the US soon, or not, but selling demos has nothing to do with it.

Reactions: mgs333 and ucmndd
Yep, 5+yrs ago, I remember getting the Sep25th text blast that my car was ready, if I was ready to pick it up. I was, and ran to my bank to get the loan going, but I had no VIN, so I sold some stock, and was ready to pay with a check. Of course, then I went online to find out that several thousand people got the same text msg. My car wasn't ready, Tesla was just trying to get people to come to the Fremont factory to pick up the last bits of production before the quarter ended that Sunday. What a nuisance, since I wouldn't get my car for another 2 and a half months.

Of course, I then took that $50k, and reinvested it, but that was the crazy week that Elon got sued by the SEC on Thursday, and the stock cratered. I used the $50k in my investment acct, and bought 200shares of Tesla at $265, 10secs before the market closed on that Friday, assuming Elon would settle over the weekend. And guess what, Elon settled the next day, and the stock opened on Monday at $315, where I immediately sold! I held the stock for less than a market minute, and made $10k. Thank you Elon! Wouldn't have done it, if I hadn't gotten that crazy text blast.

Back then, I didn't realize Tesla did a lot of crazy things to move all the inventory out at quarter-end. Now, I know!
IMG_0086 (1).jpeg

Not sure if this is common for EOQ/EOY but tesla-info is showing about 100 demo vehicles with <100 miles (saw as low as 4 miles) in the US. I can think of 2 buckets that these low mileage demo's could fall in: floor/showroom models and designated test drive cars that didn't have a chance to get used that are now being sold.

I personally ordered one that is labeled as "New - previous service/demo vehicle" with a 24 mile odometer listed on the purchase agreement. It was the spec I wanted and discounted 10%. Hoping that it will be in good condition and I might be lenient considering I want to take delivery before EOY for the tax credit. I believe the warranty for demo's starts when the vehicle was placed in service. In my case, the warranty lasts until December 2027 which makes me feel good about the condition (if it was a showroom model, it was only there for a month at max).

Has anyone bought one of these? What was your experience and were you able to get background info?

Screenshot 2023-12-24 at 9.38.11 PM.png