Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purchasing used MS from Tesla vs 3rd party

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now I hardly think about the extended warranty , and I guess I will cross the bridge when I come to it. After buying made a service appointment , had a few rattle and squeaks , the yellow screen fixed under warranty.

Hope this helps and happy hunting. Most dealers are clueless when it comes to tesla's on their lot. It is changing though as there are a few dedicated EV res ellers out there.

you cannot get an extended warranty anymore from tesla.

Um, yes you can. All the used cars on Tesla's site come with an extended warranty that isn't available otherwise. That's kinda why I started this thread ;-)

if you read his post, he purchased his car from a 3rd party dealer, which means he cannot get extended warranty anymore from tesla.

take a look at this statement on tesla's page:

Extended Service Agreement

"Can anyone purchase an Extended Service Agreement?
Owners (excluding 3rd party dealers and cars purchased from a 3rd party dealer) with Model S or Model X cars subject to the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, which are still within the eligible purchase period can purchase the Extended Service Agreement."

the quote box means i am replying to his post, not yours ;-)

So I have my eye on this 2016 MS 70D. The only option they list it having is 21inch wheels. The car is over 200 miles away so I can’t really go kick the tires. I did manage to get a helpful sales person on the phone and they said it has a full sized spare which puzzled me.
She also said I could provide Tesla with the VIN and they would tell me what options it shipped with. This is simply not true.
The good ones seem to be disappearing off Tesla’s site and I’m tempted to take a day to go look at this bad boy but I’m also a bit skeptical.
Any thoughts?

So I have my eye on this 2016 MS 70D. The only option they list it having is 21inch wheels. The car is over 200 miles away so I can’t really go kick the tires. I did manage to get a helpful sales person on the phone and they said it has a full sized spare which puzzled me.
She also said I could provide Tesla with the VIN and they would tell me what options it shipped with. This is simply not true.
The good ones seem to be disappearing off Tesla’s site and I’m tempted to take a day to go look at this bad boy but I’m also a bit skeptical.
Any thoughts?

send me a link, i'll take a look and see what i can decipher from the photos

As an update on my 2016 CPO, already glad for the warranty....so far:
- both headlights have partial eyebrow run light failure, being replaced.
- airbag recall done by a Ranger
- yellow screen border logged and being scheduled for UV fix.
- missing rear cup holder trim ordered and being replaced
- uncorking rebadge scheduled

Peace of mind = priceless

Reactions: byeLT4
I was "this" close to taking the road trip to buy this one today because it seems all the MS's in Tesla's used inventory that meet my criteria are just going away. BUT the dealership advised me that included in my purchase price would be a $700 cost for LoJack!!!
  • Isn't LoJack redundant in a Tesla?
  • Doesn't LoJack drain the battery?
  • Can they really make that a compulsory add-on?

I spoke with a manager at the dealership and she said she could offer me a $200 discount on the LoJack since they can't uninstall it.
I'm just wondering now if I'd still have to have it removed because of battery drain.

Otherwise, I'm looking at taking home a 2016 70D MS in Obsidian Black with 21" wheels with only 24k miles for $47k all-in.
Sound like a good deal???

tessy-blk21.jpg

back in march 2019 , I bought a used 2015 70D with 10K miles on the clock from a 3rd party dealership.
warranty was expiring at the end of 2019. The only thing that was transferrable was the unlimited free supercharging.
In July of 2019, I purchased 2016 P90DL from Tesla website with 30K and the 4yr/50k warranty was in effect the day I picked up the car.
Now I have 4 year up to 80K miles and battery warranty was 8 years ending 2024.

I just recently purchased a 75d through Tesla. I just dropped off the car for two recalls, uncorking and the passenger side headlight has partial eyebrow run light failure. I’m glad I purchased the car through Tesla, just for the peace of mind.

then you didn’t buy it from a dealer. Once tesla is sold to dealer all warranties are void. If you transfer ownership from an individual your good

Remaining factory warranty (4year/50k from new) will go with the car as well as the battery and drive warranty (8 year/variable mileage depending on year/pack from new). Doesn't matter if it is private party or dealer. Some 3rd party dealer sites will even break down the remaining miles and months left on the factory warranty.

Not as fair as this deal, which I just discovered last night and can't get over.

TeslaCPO.io - Search Tesla's Vehicle Inventory

I just picked up a 2014 P85D a couple of weeks ago for what felt like a great price until I came across this.

In related news - be sure you are using sites like ev-cpo and teslacpo to get an idea of the deals you should be getting hot and bothered about.
Wow, that's crazy. However, I can't see the pictures of the actual car, so I'm assuming this had some kind of body damage to it. Still a great price.