Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purpose of speed in circle need to speedometer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can someone please tell me what the purpose of the circle to the left of the speedometer, which also shows the speed, is?

I noticed when you get the cruise control, the number in the circle shows what your cruise is set at, but when the cruise is off...it reads the same as the speedometer or disappears completely sometimes.

speed1.png

speed2.png

It's the speed at which the cruise control will engage if you pull the stalk toward you.

Hmm...that's seems, redundant. Wouldn't it be logical that whatever speed your are currently traveling, would be the speed that cruise would set at if you pulled the stalk?

So I guess it's safe to assume that if the circle is not there, like in the top photo, then cruise cannot be used?

I have cruise control default set to +5 mph from speed limit, so in your situation above the number in the circle would be 50. It would continue driving at 35 if there's a car ahead or speed up to 50 if the road is clear.

I agree in the situation cited above its a little redundant. But it's hard to choose between consistent and not redundant when designing interfaces sometimes so I get where Tesla was coming from.

Hmm...that's seems, redundant. Wouldn't it be logical that whatever speed your are currently traveling, would be the speed that cruise would set at if you pulled the stalk?

Not necessarily. I believe if you had a previously set speed that you disengaged to slow down or stop it would display the previously set speed such that when you pulled the stalk it would "resume" to previous set speed.

So, if it matches the speedometer then it will set the current speed. If not, then pulling the stalk towards you will "resume" to the speed shown in the circle.

Mike

If you don't want it to resume to your previous speed, say it was 75 so it's in grey. And currently the max speed is 45 like in your pic. I believe you can pull the cruise control stalk for a few seconds to make the CC speed (in the circle) match the max. Speed detected by gps or signal read by the camera.