Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Put on new tires, now the car is handling weird.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wouldn't have a problem with putting on 4 tires, except they cost twice as much
By that rationale you should have only bought one winter tire and cut your cost by 50%. ;)

Mixing tire types front and back sounds like a serious problem to me. The handling behavior you describe is almost certainly attributable to your tire choice.

As a teen living back home in snow country my dad always made sure my car had a set of 4 winter tires on the car I drove. I found they really made a difference and gave much better traction in the snow.

Come on you can’t mix winter with all season tires anybody knows that

Not everybody knows everything and most don't want to know, because it cost$$$. If one is not careful it could cost your life especially with tires. Another issue just because its new, does not mean its good, in this case mixing tires is dangerous everywhere. These cars are expensive, don't get cheap with tires.

My formula for when to get new tires is: when I think I will have to replace them next year - I buy a new set right away.

Above is the best formula for life. Don't wait till your car or life(health) or printer or whatever is in the ditch. Its too late then. Vitold is very wise.
Best formula I have seen on this forum thus far ever. Take all the speculation, discussion and procrastination out of the formula and get the job done.

Reactions: dmd2005
It sounds like I have two realistic options. Either get 2 more winter tires for the front of the car, or get two new OEM Primacy MXM4 all seasons for the rear. I called the tire place where I got these winter tires, and to my surprise, they said there's a 30 day period in which I can return them for problems. Even if the problem is my dumb choice, apparently! Getting a pair of the OEM Primacy MXM4's for the rear is about $100 more than what these winter tires cost, so all I have to pay is that difference.

Running all seasons through the winter probably isn't the #1 choice, but they will be new with full tread, and they will be good after winter as well. So I think I'll do that.

I started noticing problems with the winter tires affecting the regen today, but that'll be a separate topic.

It sounds like I have two realistic options. Either get 2 more winter tires for the front of the car, or get two new OEM Primacy MXM4 all seasons for the rear. I called the tire place where I got these winter tires, and to my surprise, they said there's a 30 day period in which I can return them for problems. Even if the problem is my dumb choice, apparently! Getting a pair of the OEM Primacy MXM4's for the rear is about $100 more than what these winter tires cost, so all I have to pay is that difference.

Running all seasons through the winter probably isn't the #1 choice, but they will be new with full tread, and they will be good after winter as well. So I think I'll do that.

I started noticing problems with the winter tires affecting the regen today, but that'll be a separate topic.

I'm so tired of hearing folks say "but they are new all seasons so therefore I don't need snows".

I will echo what others have said here....going cheap on tires is a poor choice. You don’t have to get the most expensive either but get a “best” rates tire. The ones the 3 comes with are pretty good for OEMs but they are actually pretty expensive. For winter tires the Michelin x-Ice 3s are great.

The way I try to do it is have one winter set of wheels and tires and another set for the other 3/4 if the year. It costs more up front but is the same cost over the life of two sets.

Lol wow. People do this (mix snow tires with all seasons)? Also, I’m guessing the tires were so worn because you didn’t rotate them at 5k or 6k Miles?

Right. When I was getting near 6K miles, I was already able to notice a difference in the tread wear between the fronts and rears, so I figured I might as well replace the rears once during the life of the fronts. No sense wearing out all 4 tires, then at winter time I'd have to buy 4 instead of 2.

If 2 X-Ice3's are this squirmy on the road, I certainly don't want 4 on the car!

On my way to work yesterday, I had a clear stretch of open highway, so I ran it up to 110, the tires didn't feel any better or worse at speed.

Ngogas - "Effect", not "Affect" in this use of the word.

And really - nobody told me XIces on the rear and Primacys on the front were a poor idea. Not the Tesla service center, not the tire shop, no one. Maybe I should have known, but it never made a noticeable difference on my 1971 Plymouth Valiant. Back in those days, getting a half-worn pair of tires CHEAP was the only concern. Brand name or tread design was never an issue.

Last edited:
On my way to work yesterday, I had a clear stretch of open highway, so I ran it up to 110, the tires didn't feel any better or worse at speed.
I can’t believe I just read that... :eek:

This entire thread is about how mixing tire types degrades handling and increases the risk of losing control of the car. So then you go almost double the legal speed limit — in wintertime — to see how the car “feels”?

Last edited:
A local tire chain got sued for installing only 2 traction tires as the customer insisted and the car spun out and crossed the center line killing several people.. That is why they will only put 4 tires on, never 2. FATAL WINTER ACCIDENT SPAWNS SUIT VS. SCHWAB STORE, HERCULES - Tire Business

They were idiots, putting the new studded tires on the front. Then they went out on the road and got wide on a turn. The tire shop I was at did make an issue of how important it was for new tires to go on the rear, and I was fine with that. There were signs for it also.

I knew winter tires had softer rubber, but I didn't think it'd be this big of a difference.

Right. When I was getting near 6K miles, I was already able to notice a difference in the tread wear between the fronts and rears, so I figures I might as well replace the rears once during the life of the fronts. No sense wearing out all 4 tires, then at winter time I'd have to buy 4 instead of 2.

If 2 X-Ice3's are this squirmy on the road, I certainly don't want 4 on the car!

Ngogas - "Effect", not "Affect" in this use of the word.

And really - nobody told me XIces on the rear and Primacys on the front were a poor idea. Not the Tesla service center, not the tire shop, no one. Maybe I should have known, but it never made a noticeable difference on my 1971 Plymouth Valiant. Back in those days, getting a half-worn pair of tires CHEAP was the only concern. Brand name or tread design was never an issue.

The whole concept of rotating tires....is that they wear evenly...extending the life of the whole set. You could potentially have gotten through the whole winter without even having to replace any of the tires.

Others have already posted not having issues running x-ice on all four corners. Your issue as already mentioned....is most likely mix matching all seasons and winters....causing an imbalance in handling.

It’s a shame the tire shop didn’t say anything. What kind of tire shop is it? In any event I wouldn’t go back or trust their work if they didn’t pick up on that or worst....aren’t knowledgeable. What was your car at Tesla service for? Anything related to the tires?

Things have come a long way since your 71 Plymouth...both in suspension setups and tire technology. What worked then has little relevance on new cars from today.

Last edited:
They were idiots, putting the new studded tires on the front. Then they went out on the road and got wide on a turn. The tire shop I was at did make an issue of how important it was for new tires to go on the rear, and I was fine with that. There were signs for it also.

I knew winter tires had softer rubber, but I didn't think it'd be this big of a difference.

What’s with the this “new vs old” or “front vs back” as being “ok or not”. It’s called “mixed vs matched”.

You are just as bad.

I don’t think I’ve ever bought 2 tires in my life (since 1976 I’ve maintained 2 cars with 2 sets each). Even as a kid buying used tires at the scrap yard on a RWD car I’d buy FOUR tires.

Oh BTW, there is this new thing called rotating your tires. Google it. Pretty new high tech stuff.

I’m starting think this thread is a troll.

Last edited: