Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Putting a charger in an old gas pump.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This thread will most likely take months to years to see me complete it. But curious if anyone else out there has done this/had the idea.

So the localish ice cream shop has this setup. Sitting there licking my cone and got to thinking; it'd be neat to use a current transformer, arduino and stepper motor to control the old "computer" counter as you filled up. Then if it detects no current for a while to reset back to 0. change the faceplate to reflect KWH and pricing.
Screen Shot 2022-06-22 at 7.38.34 PM.png

years pass. then. suddenly. someone beat me to it.

1655941338401.png

Whole album here: iCloud Photo Sharing

So mr Robert Mathews. thanks for beating me. its spurred me into doing it.

So my hunt for a cheap(LOL) oldie time gas pump begins.

I like this style. I envision the cord hanging in a loop under the main body on a new hook I make for it. I can bend acrylic to replace ethyl with "electrons" and light it with addressable RGBs.

1655941740318.png

So up first on the project; obtain arduino, stepper motor, motor control and a CT for bench building.

and burn some miles trying to find the right old pump within reasonable driving distance.

There was at least one thread here in years past. Neat project. I really like the custom charging installations. Also saw one here where someone used their woodworking skills to make a nice place to install the EVSE.

Right now, the biggest issue might be the Arduino board. I’ve got some Raspberry Pi projects on hold because I refuse to pay the 3-5x retail price that scalpers are charging right now for those boards.

Reactions: Scubamikey
BTW, if you are considering building an EVSE from scratch (as opposed to using a Tesla wall connector or mobile connector as the EVSE), I would start with OpenEVSE as the electronic "guts" of the charging station. You could always start from scratch, but it's probably well worth your time to start with a proven system. OpenEVSE is an Open Hardware / Open Source project so you can certainly use it as a starting point and add your own spin on it, provided you are willing to share back your enhancements to the public.

Here are some helpful links:

OpenEVSE github page: OpenEVSE
OpenEVSE store: OpenEV Store - All Products

(I'm not 100% familiar with the OpenEVSE store, but it doesn't appear that they are selling the base OpenEVSE board itself--the WiFi board they are selling appears to be an expansion board, not the base board itself). I built my own EVSE, but I started with a derivative design (that supported two outlets). Maybe someone else that has built their own OpenEVSE can point to the actual board.

There was at least one thread here in years past. Neat project. I really like the custom charging installations. Also saw one here where someone used their woodworking skills to make a nice place to install the EVSE.

Right now, the biggest issue might be the Arduino board. I’ve got some Raspberry Pi projects on hold because I refuse to pay the 3-5x retail price that scalpers are charging right now for those boards.

operation EBAY was a success. full starter kit for 40 bucks to my door. we shall see if i got taken for a ride.

BTW, if you are considering building an EVSE from scratch (as opposed to using a Tesla wall connector or mobile connector as the EVSE), I would start with OpenEVSE as the electronic "guts" of the charging station. You could always start from scratch, but it's probably well worth your time to start with a proven system. OpenEVSE is an Open Hardware / Open Source project so you can certainly use it as a starting point and add your own spin on it, provided you are willing to share back your enhancements to the public.

Here are some helpful links:

OpenEVSE github page: OpenEVSE
OpenEVSE store: OpenEV Store - All Products

(I'm not 100% familiar with the OpenEVSE store, but it doesn't appear that they are selling the base OpenEVSE board itself--the WiFi board they are selling appears to be an expansion board, not the base board itself). I built my own EVSE, but I started with a derivative design (that supported two outlets). Maybe someone else that has built their own OpenEVSE can point to the actual board.

im most likely just going to put a grizzle in there. small. known. easy to mount.