Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Q2 Collections - new owners thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It certainly does not sound like my experience in my MY. I find feathering the pedal for regen breaking both easy and fun. However, we had an hour each in the Model 3 and the Y and so knew what to expect. Also, 750 miles since 7th July has helped.

I am sure you will get to enjoy the car. Viva la difference:)

I find our road quality so bad here that most cars feel about the same ride quality wise ( I have yet to drive an airy S.
I certainly feel no ride quality loss from the bemiX3 which I drove today for the first time in a week and found the absence of regen quite scary.
Perhaps coming out of a Jaguar would be more of a shock to the system. When on a decent bit of blacktop the Y is, for me, silky smooth.

BTW: You don't forget, you don't have to drive with full regen.

Sorry about your Zappi. I went for Teslas Gen 3 and a Tesla approved installer (who impressed me very much). sa as to keep the blame game within one company.

In the hope that the wrinkles with be smoothed out, I wish you all best.

Yup, I think it's just a case of improving my technique on the accelerator pedal. I am finding it gradually easier and easier to judge how much to let off the accelerator to come to a full stop behind other vehicles at traffic lights etc (at first I'd let off the accelerator completely and the it would be like the brakes had been applied reasonably hard). I didn't think it was possible to change the amount of regen though? Where do I go to experiment with that? (I suspect it's best for me to adjust rather than change the car settings, but maybe that'll help with my adjustment!)

I definitely agree when on a nice bit of tarmac, the MY seems very smooth and comfortable. I've never spent any time in a car with the higher ride position, I love the visibility it gives, just taking a bit of time to adjust to the movement that comes with it.

The Zappi - it works fine as a charger, but it's supposed to have a mode where it just puts the solar excess into the car. Something's not right with it, and whilst it does know when to charge & stop charging based on solar input, it charges at much too high a rate and thus also draws from the grid. Teething troubles, but Im confident it'll be sorted (and also confident it's not the car!).

There's far more things I'm pleased with the car about than issues/adjustments :)

Yes you do, there's no longer a setting that changes regen.

It just takes practice to learn how to judge when regen and when breaking, took me at least a week to get dialed in with my first Tesla.
I’m not certain but is it not still possible to turn it off completely? Also I believe regen force can be adjusted using the S3XY Buttons but understand that most people don’t want to spend money on such accessories.

Yes you do, there's no longer a setting that changes regen.

It just takes practice to learn how to judge when regen and when breaking, took me at least a week to get dialed in with my first Tesla.
You are right of course; I was thinking of roll and creep which decreases the regen at low speeds and thereby requires using the break pedal to come to a complete stop like an automatic ice car. Of course, at very low speed, automatic collision avoidance does not function.

Yup, I think it's just a case of improving my technique on the accelerator pedal. I am finding it gradually easier and easier to judge how much to let off the accelerator to come to a full stop behind other vehicles at traffic lights etc (at first I'd let off the accelerator completely and the it would be like the brakes had been applied reasonably hard). I didn't think it was possible to change the amount of regen though? Where do I go to experiment with that? (I suspect it's best for me to adjust rather than change the car settings, but maybe that'll help with my adjustment!)

I definitely agree when on a nice bit of tarmac, the MY seems very smooth and comfortable. I've never spent any time in a car with the higher ride position, I love the visibility it gives, just taking a bit of time to adjust to the movement that comes with it.

The Zappi - it works fine as a charger, but it's supposed to have a mode where it just puts the solar excess into the car. Something's not right with it, and whilst it does know when to charge & stop charging based on solar input, it charges at much too high a rate and thus also draws from the grid. Teething troubles, but Im confident it'll be sorted (and also confident it's not the car!).

There's far more things I'm pleased with the car about than issues/adjustments :)
@GRiLLA is quite right; you cannot switch off regen, you can only choose your low speed stopping mode.
BTW, re the hard ride, ( I never shy away from asking an apparently silly question) have you checked your tire pressures when cold? 42psi seems to work nicely with my 19" Geminis, the lowest pressure of which, I believe, Tesla approve for Gems.

Reactions: Toblerone
I did not graduate Q2 with a car, but I did get a Zappi installed last week.
As there’s no such thing as a silly question, thought I’d check you are using it in ECO+ mode?
The regular ECO mode will draw a minimum level from the grid if needed.

Not that the chargers can’t have issues - the Wi-Fi didn’t work on mine on installation and required a new Wi-Fi module (swapped out in 2 days).

Reactions: Wattsisname
@GRiLLA is quite right; you cannot switch off regen, you can only choose your low speed stopping mode.
BTW, re the hard ride, ( I never shy away from asking an apparently silly question) have you checked your tire pressures when cold? 42psi seems to work nicely with my 19" Geminis, the lowest pressure of which, I believe, Tesla approve for Gems.

Good question - unfortunately I have indeed and they were all set properly at 42 psi by Tesla before I collected the car. Last time I checked they were slightly uneven as I was driving - I'll double check again today as I drive and see if I need to adjust at all, but they're in the right range for sure.

Maybe I'll pump them up a bit more, drive it around for a bit then reduce the pressure back down to feel the difference, and appreciate the current ride a bit more ;)

I also moved from a Jag XF S, although with a year+ of driving an Ioniq Full EV in between. I certainly appreciate having more power at my disposal again, lots more than the Jag really.
We used full regen on the Ioniq EV and it still did a bit of creep too. We currently have hold set on the MY, but I‘m considering changing it to help slow speed manoeuvres as I’m finding hold to produce jerky movement - might give it a bit longer to try to adapt. The overall level of regen seems higher than on the Ioniq EV, which certainly allows for a greater level of one foot driving, but does require pretty gentle accelerator removal to not be harsh.

I did not graduate Q2 with a car, but I did get a Zappi installed last week.
As there’s no such thing as a silly question, thought I’d check you are using it in ECO+ mode?
The regular ECO mode will draw a minimum level from the grid if needed.

Not that the chargers can’t have issues - the Wi-Fi didn’t work on mine on installation and required a new Wi-Fi module (swapped out in 2 days).

Yup, definitely a question worth asking! I am indeed using the ECO+ mode. If I don't do anything myself (limiting the amps in the Tesla app) the Zappi will tell the car to draw the maximum 7.5kw as soon as there is any excess. Given the maximum provision from the solar panels is 4kw, that results in a minimum grid draw of ~4kw ... which defeats a large proportion of its value.

There's definitely something screwy with how it is setup (or a fault in the unit). When I do limit the amps in the car, and look at the myenergi app, it shows me solar generation of 3kw, grid export of 2.8kw and charging of 2kw. Clearly the numbers don't add up, and I'd expect it to show generation of 3kw, export of 0.8kw and charging of 2kw. Something is amiss.

Reactions: Toblerone
Crazy how efficient this car is! That's 18 miles averaging 173 Wh/Mile.😎 I was driving carefully but still had the AC on at 4 the entire time. The equivalent of 195 MPG 😆

Screenshot 2022-07-17 at 12.14.31.png

Yup, I think it's just a case of improving my technique on the accelerator pedal.
That's the answer. Most people have had years of driving where they just lift off completely when choosing to slow down ... your right foot needs to acquire the same level of sensitivity in gradually lifting off as you developed years ago when pressing the pedal to slowly accelerate (avoiding a bucking bronco effect!) Most people develop the new skill rapidly but others take a little longer. Driving an EV, even with powerful regen, should be smoother than any ICE with manual or auto gears. (People who ride motorcycles should already be familiar with the technique because with a handlebar throttle you don't just take your hand off and let it snap back on its spring, you roll it off ... the relatively high level of engine braking on most bikes is not unlike the regen effect when driving an EV.)

That's the answer. Most people have had years of driving where they just lift off completely when choosing to slow down ... your right foot needs to acquire the same level of sensitivity in gradually lifting off as you developed years ago when pressing the pedal to slowly accelerate (avoiding a bucking bronco effect!) Most people develop the new skill rapidly but others take a little longer. Driving an EV, even with powerful regen, should be smoother than any ICE with manual or auto gears. (People who ride motorcycles should already be familiar with the technique because with a handlebar throttle you don't just take your hand off and let it snap back on its spring, you roll it off ... the relatively high level of engine braking on most bikes is not unlike the regen effect when driving an EV.)

Great response; that is why I find the regen driving so comfortable, 20 years/100k miles riding K12 and a K13 bikes.

Now then ...SWMBO says "Personally, I loved the 500 miles we did on the Road King in Florida"

Last edited:
So what mileage have people racked up so far?

What is your average Wh/Mile?

I have done 904 miles in nearly 3 weeks of ownership. That is much higher than I'd normally do. I've clearly been finding excuses to go for a drive :oops:

I'm averaging 225 Wh/Mile which is really good, especially seeing as I've put the pedal to the metal 🤣 and have been heavy on the HVAC in the past week or so!
Took delivery on 29th June - so almost 4 weeks ago - racked up 1,156 miles so far :cool: